Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119178 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #1170 on: September 10, 2022, 09:03:17 am »

Das me.

What I don't understand is where is the Russian airforce. I was very confident that such large-scale offensives are unlikely because the Russian airforce will be deadly against an advancing force
Expecting any armed farces of Russia to be "deadly" to anyone except civilians at this point is funny.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 10, 2022, 09:19:33 am »

In order to achieve the goals of the Special Military Operation, it was decided to regroup troops in the areas of Balakliya and Izyum to step up efforts in the Donetsk direction — Russian Defense Ministry

Regrouping! Guys, it is regrouping, everything is going according to the Russian plan
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 10, 2022, 09:46:14 am »

Turns out I've been regrouping from the consequences of my life's choices all this time.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 10, 2022, 11:17:54 am »

I think it’s high time to call on North Korea to stop arming the Russian military and to urge Moscow to immediately sue for peace on Kyiv’s terms. Those war profiteers in Pyongyang just want to prolong the war and fight it to the last Russian, after all

Honestly stolen from Twitter (c)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 10, 2022, 04:27:26 pm »

The much-publicised Ukrainian southern offensive was a disinformation campaign to distract Russia from the real one being prepared in the Kharkiv region, Ukraine’s special forces have said.

According to an article in the Guardian. I love it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: September 10, 2022, 04:41:18 pm »

A bit too costly for a 'disinformation campaign', imo.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 10, 2022, 04:52:59 pm »

Three things:

1. We don't actually know how costly it has been - Ukrainian opsec has been very tight, so the vast majority of what we "know" comes through Russian propaganda channels
2. Feints and misdirection campaigns are always costly. You have to put enough into them to honor the threat, and that means you're going to be launching an assault with inadequate forces against a stronger enemy. In the grim calculus of war, effectively throwing away a significant amount of blood and treasure on one front in order to win a victory of annihilation on another (what this could turn into) is cheap at the price.
3. Feints have a fascinating tendency to turn into real attacks. Either because the enemy was weaker than expected, or they pull too much away when they wake up to the real threat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 10, 2022, 11:11:23 pm »

Note that the "feint" in the Kherson region has also liberated several settlements against much more fierce and better-fortified opposition. I see it as two major offensives but the Kherson one goes against elite Russian troops with several carefully prepared lines of defense, while the Kharkiv one smashed into a mixed bag of forces of varying quality (mostly low) with only one line of entrenched defensive positions.

Of course, results vary

Luhansk Oblast evidently might indeed now be taking just he tip (heh) of the advance, though not sure if confirmed properly yet.

Hint - whenever you hear Serhiy Haidai as a source, you can safely ignore any info. Another one to ignore - Goncharenko
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 12:46:26 am by Strongpoint »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1179 on: September 11, 2022, 01:43:19 pm »

I am pleased - a few months back I did conjecture at whether the Ukrainians had enough to launch a counteroffensive as they were being very secretive of their strength in armoured vehicles and artillery, so it is pleasantly surprising to find that they did all along possess the strength to recapture lost ground

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 11, 2022, 01:51:27 pm »

So, the Russian response to this humiliation is striking power stations. I expected them to start doing this closer to winter for a greater initial effect.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 11, 2022, 01:51:42 pm »

Hint - whenever you hear Serhiy Haidai as a source, you can safely ignore any info. Another one to ignore - Goncharenko

Fair point, though it does seem really weird for the governor of occupied territory to admit to saying they're losing ground, plus last maps I saw did have the tip of the salient just shy of entering into Luhansk Oblast...hmm.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 11, 2022, 02:08:20 pm »

Fair point, though it does seem really weird for the governor of occupied territory to admit to saying they're losing ground, plus last maps I saw did have the tip of the salient just shy of entering into Luhansk Oblast...hmm.

No, Serhiy Haidai is the Ukrainian governor of the Luhansk Oblast but he has a well-deserved reputation of spreading... let's say... unconfirmed information on social networks. It is unknown if he does so because of informational warfare or by his own initiative, but he is anything but a reliable source.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 11, 2022, 02:13:24 pm »

Ah, wasn't sure who was who, hecc. That would explain it though. XD
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 11, 2022, 04:03:54 pm »

Seeing claims that the Russian Ministry of Defense has admitted retreating to the east of the Oskil. This would validate the more wild claims of Ukrainian success.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 167