Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 112122 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support
« Reply #1725 on: January 01, 2023, 04:08:59 pm »

Probably safe to assume yes though.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 01, 2023, 05:18:53 pm »

There has been recently a new spat of Russian billionaires falling out of windows! I guess it's almost interest payment day again.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 01, 2023, 10:43:47 pm »

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1609719192596381696

I love how the Western segment of social networks discovers the wonders of Russian Television as something new. It is like this for the last 20 years and their New Year shows are one of the most bright examples of how utterly degraded Russian mass culture is.

*follow the link at your own risk, you may get a lethal dose of cringe*
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 01, 2023, 10:51:11 pm »

That is absolutely hilarious. They couldn't have made a worse production of it if they had been actively trying.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 02, 2023, 03:06:27 am »

Hah, yeah, every year they have a New Year's program with that sort of gaudy, flashy style and weird faked expressions. Some years my family even watched some of it on New Years' Eve. Though they say the jokes are not great.

That is all just the standard drivel though. What annoys me is this.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1609736391843266563
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 02, 2023, 06:22:31 am »

The BBC's measured, but pointed, take on it... While we're here in the Emotional thread anyway, just to say it didn't really surprise me.

(Only bothered to read it because I momentarily couldn't for the life of me think what the "NYE" in the linking-to text was, yesterday, and I was wondered what Russia had to do with (probably) a New York-based sports team that I might or might not even know about! ;) )

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1731 on: January 02, 2023, 09:42:21 am »

I love how the Western segment of social networks discovers the wonders of Russian Television as something new. It is like this for the last 20 years and their New Year shows are one of the most bright examples of how utterly degraded Russian mass culture is.

Oh dear God. Now I know what my Russian friend was saying when she said Russia today was 1984 but tackier

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 02, 2023, 10:50:18 am »

It was a little less cringe last year tbh. But I watched it this year to cringe, while smashed as shit. I thought it was funny but I was so drunk I felt I was about to pass out.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 02, 2023, 11:05:04 am »

Had it just been the performance, it wouldn't have been cringe at all, just a little rustic. Repeatedly zooming into the audiences' faces as if to say "LOOK HOW HAPPY EVERYONE IS! SO HAPPY! RUSSIA SURE IS A HAPPY AND GREAT COUNTRY!" was mega cringe.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 02, 2023, 11:16:53 am »

Oh dear God. Now I know what my Russian friend was saying when she said Russia today was 1984 but tackier

Russian TV reminds me of '80s dystopian/satire movies, like Total Recall, Running Man and Robocop and the TV show clips in them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 02, 2023, 11:47:25 am »

Hah, yeah, every year they have a New Year's program with that sort of gaudy, flashy style and weird faked expressions. Some years my family even watched some of it on New Years' Eve. Though they say the jokes are not great.

Does someone have a non-twitter (i.e. Youtube) link for that?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 02, 2023, 01:15:44 pm »

Does someone have a non-twitter (i.e. Youtube) link for that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xmM2bwG8k
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 02, 2023, 01:50:39 pm »

I mean, the awful comment aside (and I assume that was the tone for the night), I don't see any big difference between that and your average western gala/television event. Might as well have been the Oscars or Eurovision.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1738 on: January 02, 2023, 05:22:36 pm »

I mean, the awful comment aside (and I assume that was the tone for the night), I don't see any big difference between that and your average western gala/television event. Might as well have been the Oscars or Eurovision.
Eurovision will have a billion audience members larping as Americans, or wearing gaudy colours & shiny sequins, generally trying their best to be tacky and whacky. This one could pass off as Eurovision if half the audience wasn't military men in uniform smiling nervously, their gazes staring off into the dark future they see waiting behind the upbeat bops

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 02, 2023, 05:28:38 pm »

If Eurovision is larping as Americans, this is spasming as electrode-implanted frog cadavers made to undeadly relieve their first orgasm.
Otherwise the resemblance is uncanny.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 167