Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newly bought gaming laptop emits a whirring noise under load (+vibration)  (Read 3972 times)

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greetings! Just shy of a month ago, I've bought a MSI Katana GF66 with a RTX 3060, as it had decent specifications for its price tag. However, yesterday I have noticed that when I am running games, the laptop started emitting a whirring noise from its left side. Said noises are accompanied by slight vibration, felt whenether I touch the keyboard. What is the cause of this? What are the solutions to it?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

That is likely the cooling fans kicking on.  To eliminate the heat produced while under load, lots of air must be pulled through the unit. This produces a whirr, and vibration.

It is often a source of complaint, but it is unavoidable.

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, this sort of noise (and vibration) was intended all along? This is no sign of a manufacturing defect?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

This is likely normal.  Yes.

My older Dell XPS with an Nvidia 1050ti in it, whirrs quite a bit too when it gets warm.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile

Pay attention to the level of vibration and noise, and where the air flows are, into and out of the machine, and where you can feel the heat radiating through the exterior. Start up some high video/CPU process and place the laptop flat on a fabric surface (sofa or bed) for ten minutes then check the exterior's hot spots again. Get some perspective on what is "normal" for the machine when it is under stress.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Regarding running some games making fans going wild.

Some games may run way too high in term of FPS (especially in main menus) on powerfull computers, forcing then your system to overwork to keep up with the insane amount of FPS and so heating it, explaining often why the fans have to work harder.

It's why it's important to get some fps limiter (your AMD or Nvidia GPU driver utility have something like that if the game itself does not have such option, or you could get Riva Tuner that also allow you to limit fps to a desired number for specific games) for games that go way too high in the FPS range.

Once you limit your fps to something reasonnable, you should not get anymore "hey i get 1200 fps in the main menu, i'll be able to use my computer to cook my food now !" and not only your system fans will work a lot better, but less heat = components will work longer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Could be as simple as an improperly tightened fitting near the fan which is allowing some vibration to happen. The fan could also be defective and not be properly balanced; causing it to spin slightly off its axis at high RPMs, causing both vibrations and a whirring noise.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 11:27:01 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Alternate theory: Your PC is haunted.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Slight whirring sounds like a cooling fan. It's easily tested and sounds like it is working as intended. You will feel this with a laptop more than a desktop computer as the components requiring cooling are underneath your hands.

If it sounds more like an irregular grinding noise then it might be the fan is improperly balanced or over tightened.