Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Lords of Mafia - Game Over, Distant Third Victory!  (Read 11170 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Lords of Mafia - Game Over, Distant Third Victory!
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2022, 09:46:51 am »

Throwing in some thoughts:
1) More players means more confusion over the sides.
2) Perhaps Survivors would benefit the setup?

Role: Survivor
You weren't around during the King of Mafia vote.  You just want to avoid a Permaban.
Wincon: Don't get voted out or killed, and you win.

It also transforms the setup so a candidate doesn't have 49% of the vote, requiring each team to rely upon the DT to win a majority versus their opposition.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2022, 10:56:53 am »

Yup, it was just exactly what a Candidate would say, that I figured it was the ideal thing for a Supporter to say.  I got drunk on the WIFOM!
Well, that's what I was going for, so I guess it worked out. :P

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2022, 08:05:39 pm »

Oh nice I fucked up.

That was a fun game and I'd play it again and maybe play better next time but man good thing I made that dunce crown version of M. Bison because I earned it this game.

I'm absolutely shocked Tric and Jim voted me on D2 and I think they deserve to lose with me after that though.

I misread your cues.

TricMagic made it pretty obvious that he was my supporter but he also made it pretty obvious that he was my supporter.

It was harder to tell in your case. I was thinking it through and was baffled why you would publicly tie yourself not to team B but to me personally. I was thinking you either were my supporter and were very overtly tying us together as a team, which seemed like a bad strategy, or you were the distant third who just randomly picked a name to publicly declare allegiance to and accidentally picked correctly. I asked 4maskwolf whether supporters knew whether their candidate was A or B, with the thought being that if supporters didn't then it was clear you were signaling me, but it turned out they did.

In comparison, EuchreJack declaring 'i am candidate B' made much more sense from what I believed was the supporter perspective, declaring a side but not drawing attention to the candidate. EuchreJack also following along with me in quickhammering webadict firmed up my belief he was my supporter.

On Day 2 when you said the DT was Jack... or me, it seemed to me that you didn't actually know that I was the candidate, and you being the distant third was the most consistent explanation for your play.

It might not have mattered still, since if we lynched Max then Jack would may have shot Jim with Tric. But it's still aggravating to see a bumble victory where they completely whiff and get rewarded for misreading both candidate IDs. Sorry Jack.

On Day 2 eliminating the opposing candidate's team while maintaining my team's numerical advantage would have been the safer play than shooting within team B's sphere to get the DT, which I identified but I got excited about the possibility of hammering the DT.

If we get Max on Day 2 instead, on Day 3 I still think I shoot you for being the DT, which still loses the game unless me and TricMagic lynch Jack before he gets the chance to shoot.

Good job to Tric & Team Jim for setting Tric up to look like the Candidate.  I honestly didn't think Jim was the Candidate.

With TricMagic I thought it was pretty clear he was my supporter, so me saying I thought he was the distant third was me trying to convince people he was the candidate by trying to distance him. I was also trying to make it seem like I implicitly trusted you, to make it seem like I knew you were the candidate.

I feel like this would have been a decent strategy if I identified both of my supporters correctly.

Glad the distancing on TricMagic worked on you at least.

If I ever run this setup in the future I'm turning the assassin's kill into a suicide bomb (ie. it also kills the assassin), to prevent the weird incentive that occurred this game to suicide bomb at five players because it wins in at least half of scenarios, even if you have no idea what the setup looks like. The game is considered assassin-sided as is and the entire point of the assassin's gameplay is to determine who the candidates are.

This is a good idea. Having situations where the distant third can blind fire and win is really dumb.

But I won.  That is all that matters.  A win is a win!  You may crown me when ready.

*sigh*

Good game.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2022, 08:33:17 am »

*presents Jack with a coin that says mafia on one side and town on the other.*

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2022, 08:45:17 am »

*presents Jack with a coin that says mafia on one side and town on the other.*

Thanks, I'll cherish it always.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]