Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Lords of Mafia - Game Over, Distant Third Victory!  (Read 11341 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Lords of Mafia - Game Over, Distant Third Victory!
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2022, 08:25:10 am »

It really should be a draw when both Candidates are still alive as the DT completely whiffed both shots. I figured out the entire setup on D2 so I knew Jack would win when he made both those shots today which I think is lame.

I'm absolutely shocked Tric and Jim voted me on D2 and I think they deserve to lose with me after that though.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2022, 08:28:43 am »

Also the one thing I actually forgot to add to the OP because it wasn't in the sample role PMs but in the event that exactly the two candidates are alive at day start the game ends with both candidates winning.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2022, 08:29:50 am »

Day 1 you came out and said Jim was the candidate right out of the gate.

ToonyMan/TricMagic/EuchreJack I think are roughly aligned with my team but between them one of them is the distant third. If I had to pick I'd have to choose between ToonyMan or TricMagic.
I think there's a very good chance the DT is one of you three.

Jack happily hammered Webadict, which is why I think they're either the DT or a confident Supporter. The DT will hammer anybody, while a Supporter could fairly confidently hammer another player.

In addition, there was a good chance Webadict was a Candidate. The DT would be eliminating three players in one fell swoop. Jack was the one that dropped the hammer which is why it bothers me the most compared to you or Tric.

The reason why DT!Jack can't shoot two players right now, is because they don't know for sure who the Candidate is inside NQT/Max or who the Candidate is inside Tric/Toony/Jim. I believe I can safely deduce the teams are such based on the Webadict wagon.

If Jack isn't the DT, then...it's probably you Jim. You were just as happy to go for the Webadict kill as the third vote before Jack. I will continue to underestimate Tric until it bites me, but I don't think it's him. On that much, I agree with Webadict.

It's this post that made me distrust you though. While distancing from your candidate is good, it's not when it makes you seem as if you are the DT with a lucky guess.

... Seriously, what the hell Toony? That first post was silly sus.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2022, 08:32:16 am »

I'm absolutely shocked Tric and Jim voted me on D2 and I think they deserve to lose with me after that though.
+1
I at least knew you were a supporter of either Jim or Tric.  Why they couldn't see that...  ::)

NQT was just trying to even out the numbers.  Max was hunting for the DT.

I was able to win by figuring out the teams.  Hitting the candidate was unimportant.

Good job to Tric & Team Jim for setting Tric up to look like the Candidate.  I honestly didn't think Jim was the Candidate.

NQT....you kinda kept pointing at Max as your Candidate.  You can't Hard Defend your Candidate like that.  It was only Max's Big Lie that had me targetting NQT instead of Max.  So good job Max!

Also the one thing I actually forgot to add to the OP because it wasn't in the sample role PMs but in the event that exactly the two candidates are alive at day start the game ends with both candidates winning.
I suspected that, as I had read the original game's page.

That was a gross omission on your part, 4maskwolf.  At 5 players, the remaining players could have beaten me by considering a joint victory.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2022, 08:33:02 am »

Day 1 you came out and said Jim was the candidate right out of the gate.

ToonyMan/TricMagic/EuchreJack I think are roughly aligned with my team but between them one of them is the distant third. If I had to pick I'd have to choose between ToonyMan or TricMagic.
I think there's a very good chance the DT is one of you three.

Jack happily hammered Webadict, which is why I think they're either the DT or a confident Supporter. The DT will hammer anybody, while a Supporter could fairly confidently hammer another player.

In addition, there was a good chance Webadict was a Candidate. The DT would be eliminating three players in one fell swoop. Jack was the one that dropped the hammer which is why it bothers me the most compared to you or Tric.

The reason why DT!Jack can't shoot two players right now, is because they don't know for sure who the Candidate is inside NQT/Max or who the Candidate is inside Tric/Toony/Jim. I believe I can safely deduce the teams are such based on the Webadict wagon.

If Jack isn't the DT, then...it's probably you Jim. You were just as happy to go for the Webadict kill as the third vote before Jack. I will continue to underestimate Tric until it bites me, but I don't think it's him. On that much, I agree with Webadict.

It's this post that made me distrust you though. While distancing from your candidate is good, it's not when it makes you seem as if you are the DT with a lucky guess.

... Seriously, what the hell Toony? That first post was silly sus.

Actually, it made Toony look like a candidate, but yeah it also gave too much info to me.
And good distancing from Jim.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2022, 08:37:20 am »

Tric, that post was to tell Jim that Jack was the DT.

By announcing who my Candidate was I wanted to signal to Jim that he could trust me AND to the other Supporter that I was on their side. I could tell immediately that Tric or Jack was the other Jim supporter and that Web/NQT/Max were the opposing team. Then I figured NQT was a Supporter and that Jack was the DT through LOGIC AND REASONING.

I only said Jim would have to be the DT if Jack wasn't because I knew and Jim knew that he wasn't DT. I don't see how we could have lost this game if we lynched Jack or Max on D2 and not me!

It might not have mattered still, since if we lynched Max then Jack would may have shot Jim with Tric. But it's still aggravating to see a bumble victory where they completely whiff and get rewarded for misreading both candidate IDs. Sorry Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Lords of Mafia - Day 2 - Three Candidates Still Remain (6/7)
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2022, 08:39:05 am »

NQT....you kinda kept pointing at Max as your Candidate.  You can't Hard Defend your Candidate like that.
If I'd have done nothing at this point I would have lost:

Of the available options... Uh, I guess I think ToonyMan is the most likely to be the DT, but ToonyMan as the last non-voter would then be obliged to untie the vote to my detriment so... anyone voting for me want to entente?

Max was absolutely right here, and my only choice was to step in.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2022, 08:45:06 am »

It might not have mattered still, since if we lynched Max then Jack would may have shot Jim with Tric. But it's still aggravating to see a bumble victory where they completely whiff and get rewarded for misreading both candidate IDs. Sorry Jack.
Actually, I could not have shot both Jim & Tric.  I only get a number of kills equal to surviving Candidates.  Dead Max means I would have to shoot ONCE, and I probably would have shot Tric.

I pretty much knew on this day that Jim knew I was the DT, which is why I couldn't let the day end with one Candidate surviving.wait...doesn't that mean that I figured Jim was the Candidate? Actually that is just Worst Case Scenario thinking.

As for Max vs. NQT, I could have easily have shot Max instead of NQT.  In fact, I had suspected Max the previous day(s).  So I get tiny credit there!

But I won.  That is all that matters.  A win is a win!  You may crown me when ready.

NQT....you kinda kept pointing at Max as your Candidate.  You can't Hard Defend your Candidate like that.
If I'd have done nothing at this point I would have lost:

Of the available options... Uh, I guess I think ToonyMan is the most likely to be the DT, but ToonyMan as the last non-voter would then be obliged to untie the vote to my detriment so... anyone voting for me want to entente?

Max was absolutely right here, and my only choice was to step in.

I wasn't referring to that, but earlier posts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2022, 08:48:03 am »

The more other people vote, the more information I have. From the web of alignments and disalignments shaping up, I am happy to hit Jim today, but I am also willing to change my mind if there is compelling reason to think someone is the Distant Third.

I'm looking forward to seeing who is on what team when this all shakes out...

Tric why aren't you 3rd party hunting? The six legitimate players will lose if the DT wins.

I thought Web was a supporter on the opposing team, but his quickhammer seems to indicate that either I was wrong or a lot of other people were even more wrong.

As for Max... who knows what he is, has he even posted yet?

No, my reasoning for voting Tric is that someone on the Wuba wagon must be the DT OR some players are even more confused than I am.

Of the ones remaining, the player who is explicitly A/B candidate hunting rather than DT hunting is Tric. I can work out who on the Web train was or wasn't on my side as I go, but I'm pretty sure Tric is best person for DT.

The ironic thing is, checking back I now think I should have been voting Web, which means that either his candidate or his fellow supporter or both accidentally bussed him.

I legit think half the players are seriously confused here. Moreover, EuchreJack's analysis of the remaining players has shown that he doesn't know who any of the real candidates are and so is clearly the Distant Third.

Everyone, EJ has scumslipped here. It should be obvious to the two of you who are on my team.

Whom are you NOT targetting?  It's pretty obvious...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Lords of Mafia - Day 2 - Three Candidates Still Remain (6/7)
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2022, 08:49:11 am »

I wasn't referring to that, but earlier posts.

But this was literally the only time I mentioned Max:

As for Max... who knows what he is, has he even posted yet?

If this is hard defending, I really need to douse myself in fabric softener or something. What I think actually happened is that you (rightly) picked up on the connections Tric and Toony had explicitly made in the thread between me and Max.

PPE: OK, so an early distancing vote on Max would have been better play, is what you're saying? Maybe correct.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2022, 08:50:39 am »

Yeah, "hard defending" was the wrong term, but "not attacking" is similar enough especially for a lurker which Max unfortunately turned into for most of the game.

Something like:
2pm: Voting MAX because he hasn't posted yet!
4pm: Ok, since MAX posted, UNVOTE (or) Well, I really hate to penalize a player who isn't posting, and TOONYMAN looks even MORE suspicious.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2022, 08:50:55 am »

Honestly, I'm pretty impressed that Jack didn't suss out either Candidate when just about everyone else had figured out both. :P I mean, I guess everyone else had the benefit of knowing one for sure, but it's still a little funny.

NQT....you kinda kept pointing at Max as your Candidate.  You can't Hard Defend your Candidate like that.  It was only Max's Big Lie that had me targetting NQT instead of Max.  So good job Max!
You... fell for that? I didn't even know, because I had just hastily posted after not being here for three days and hadn't reread the OP at all, that the supporter players don't appear to have known which letter their candidates were. Luckily I had phrased it in a way that could have seemed like I just picked the letter as a joke, but I genuinely assumed people had the letters and thus would know whether I was claiming to be on the same team or not.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2022, 08:53:14 am »

Jack just to reiterate though: You shot Tric and NQT because you believed they were the two Candidates, right? You'd have to either kill two Candidates or two Supporters to win from that position. Shooting one Candidate and one Supporter is something you would be actively avoiding.

There's a distinction between winning and "winning".

I think I'm done complaining now so I'll be happy with how I played this game and try to improve not being....voted out by my own allies.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2022, 08:58:09 am »

Honestly, I'm pretty impressed that Jack didn't suss out either Candidate when just about everyone else had figured out both. :P I mean, I guess everyone else had the benefit of knowing one for sure, but it's still a little funny.

You... fell for that? I didn't even know, because I had just hastily posted after not being here for three days and hadn't reread the OP at all, that the supporter players don't appear to have known which letter their candidates were. Luckily I had phrased it in a way that could have seemed like I just picked the letter as a joke, but I genuinely assumed people had the letters and thus would know whether I was claiming to be on the same team or not.
Yup, it was just exactly what a Candidate would say, that I figured it was the ideal thing for a Supporter to say.  I got drunk on the WIFOM!

Jack just to reiterate though: You shot Tric and NQT because you believed they were the two Candidates, right? You'd have to either kill two Candidates or two Supporters to win from that position. Shooting one Candidate and one Supporter is something you would be actively avoiding.

There's a distinction between winning and "winning".

I think I'm done complaining now so I'll be happy with how I played this game and try to improve not being....voted out by my own allies.
To clarify, I could have shot one Supporter and one Candidate, and so long as they were not on the same team, I still won.
Shooting one candidate means they are gone and lose, and shooting the other candidate's supporter leave me alive with them, so I win.

So all I had to do was figure out which two players probably were NOT on the same team, and I won.
Thus, I didn't have to really think it out.  Who cares if I actually hit the candidates?

Candidate A + Candidate B = I win
Candidate A + Supporter B = I win
Supporter A + Supporter B = I win
Candidate B + Supporter A = I win
Candidate A + Supporter A = I lose (Team A wins)
Candidate B + Supporter B = I lose (Team B wins)

66.66666% just shooting wild.  And I was given info on the possible team makeups.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2022, 09:06:21 am »

Right, it was a near always victory with how clearcut the two sides were.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10