Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do Reanimating biomes affect caverns?  (Read 1681 times)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
Do Reanimating biomes affect caverns?
« on: June 08, 2022, 01:40:45 pm »

Before I embark, I wanted to know. Do caverns In reanimating biomes reanimate creatures?
I shudder thunking about a Ñecro-buffed FB!
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
Re: Do Reanimating biomes affect caverns?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 02:47:47 pm »

How should I handle a poultry industry?
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 08:00:00 pm »

If the entire map has reanimating biome, re-consider having a poultry industry...

If you do have a poultry industry, use long-lived birds to avoid Spring's chaos arriving in your hatchery, and have a training barracks next to your butchery/tanner buildings, to butcher the hair, wool, or skins when they get frisky.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 01:47:03 pm »

From personal experience, butchering feathered or hairy animals is among the worst things you could do in a reanimating region.  Those feathers and bristles are practically invincible because every attack passes right through.  Even small ones will repeatedly interrupt work and soflty bludgeon against your dwarves.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 06:31:58 pm »

One way to handle this is to either embark at the edge of the reanimating biome so you have a bit of safe space for animal processing, or use (cheaty, my preference) use Biome Manipulator to pull in one map tile of non-animating biome into the middle of the embark.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 11:22:32 pm »

From personal experience, butchering feathered or hairy animals is among the worst things you could do in a reanimating region.  Those feathers and bristles are practically invincible because every attack passes right through.  Even small ones will repeatedly interrupt work and soflty bludgeon against your dwarves.
This was the "unkillable hair" bug and it usually takes one hit to kill them, but there is still the long term effects on dwarf mental health from being attacked.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 02:02:47 am »

This was the "unkillable hair" bug and it usually takes one hit to kill them, but there is still the long term effects on dwarf mental health from being attacked.

My experience was in 0.47.05 (Friendlytreason) where a legendary beast feather had to be savescummed and sealed lest it exterminates the fortress, and later a different player thought they could crush it only to be forced to savescrum too.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 08:38:34 pm »

Those were horrible feathers... :p

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 02:02:25 pm »

Also worth noting that the caverns are particularly susceptible to undeadsplosions, where cavern creatures come into the caverns and immediately get killed by undead, which lets new cavern creatures come into the caverns and get immediately killed by undead, snowballing into a massive unstoppable lag machine (and fort destroyer if you try to open it up and defeat the zombie army).

Forgotten beasts are equally horrifying, yeah. They might take out some weaker zombies before dying, but when reanimated they're zombie insurance so that no individually powerful creature can wipe out all the zombies in that layer, since fbs are the cream of the crop. And inorganic fbs will just ignore the zombies and meander about killing (and subsequently reanimating) stuff.

Handling a poultry industry shouldn't be too hard. I haven't had any issue with the unkillable hair bug, and there's plenty of precautions you can take to mitigate or stop the effects. First, make sure the whole process gets done quick. Butcher, tan, and spin whatever you can ASAP, so make sure everybody who does those jobs is free before ordering stuff butchered. Second, train the dwarves who will be handling the work in mace or hammer (mace is actually better here, it's better at pulping even if it's a worse weapon) so that they instantly take out reanimated bits. Soldiers shouldn't be necessary (if you encounter the unkillable hair bug more soldiers will just make things worse, and if it's not unkillable then you don't need anything more than one dwarf to take it out), but can serve as an alternative. Third, place cage traps everywhere that potential reanimating bits will be (around workshops and anywhere the bits might be hauled across, but you should minimize hauling anyways). If you do get a buggy unkillable hair, do your best to evacuate the area and the cage traps will handle it. I've run a decades-long sheep industry in a reanimating biome this way with no incidents that weren't immediately resolved by the butcher instantly putting down the reanimated hair or skin, so it's quite safe.

The biggest potential problem is killing your poultry off incorrectly and letting one die of age while still in the pen. You'll only have a little bit of time to get the corpse out of there before it reanimates, so I might also suggest having two distinct enclosures for your poultry industry to prevent any incidents of this nature from destroying your entire industry. Two enclosures also just prevents it naturally: when you need meat, butcher one enclosure and repopulate with two poultry from the other one.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 05:03:03 pm »

Dwarf Therapist allows you to sort based on age and mark animals for slaughter, so you can ensure that you slaughter off the oldest ones first.