Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (6/∞)  (Read 11620 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (6/∞)
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2023, 06:44:43 pm »

Burt looks around, peering into the dark forest, then realises that he can't see much of anything. He checks his suit for anything that may illuminate his way, but alas, nothing is found. It is a simple environmental protection suit; it is sleek, thin, practical, and more closely resembles a onesie than one of those bulky spacesuits that come to mind.

He decides to just head to the fort thingie... forward? Back? Uhhh, North? Where even was North in this place? He walks around for a few moments, and realises how far that might just be. And since this place doesn't gets bright enough to make much stuff out, even at high noon.

Why did they even land here?

Velklin drops the spacesuit down from his hand. He then finds a cardboard box and rips a piece. Then, using Geshemblos' tail, he carves a note: "For Su Lin". He gets sad some more, then gets up to the monitors.

He asks the ship where the others are. He is surprised to find that they are not that far at all. All of them are in a 200 meters distance from the ship. As for going to the fortress; if they all got back in the ship and simply took it to the fortress, it would be a much more practical option for them.

He decides to land anyways, to take a look around. He charges [Fullest Moon], it's strong light filling the ship. Then, in the blink of an eye, he was down to the ground. Sort of, he was on a shell of something. And there were pillars everywhere with dim lights on them. Oh, he was on a shell. It croaked! Ornos screeches, Geshemblos hisses.

Velklin scrambles to get down from the dome shaped thing, jumping into the sky and landing on another treetop. What he sees is a dark purple, blob-like creature with many short, cylindrical legs. It is looking at him with many eyestalks that encircles its bodies diameter. He panics for a moment, but then realises the creatures disinterest. The blobs many legs suddenly contract, and then release with force, to make it jump off to another tree some distance away. As he focuses and points his unused lunar spell around, he sees a whole lot of the same species of creature, peacefully passing through, from one tree to another without touching the ground below. They even seem to be avoiding him. Neat, he thinks.

He sees Lemmy get back up to the ship, without caring about the herd of treetop blobs passing on.

Lemmy wants to try something else. Can he make heat ray with the same energy he just used up? Maybe if he willed the mana in the right way, he could use the thin atmosphere to make one. One problem though. He needs a vessel. He saw on the ship that ambient gasses don't cut it. And that he can't cast a fireball or some other pure magic projectile. He needs an object to transfer the mana into. Which wouldn't make it a heat ray at all. It would be like a heat whip, at most. Still, using it to heat up an object, then pointing that object to something would accomplish what he was looking for. A spacesuit would do the trick. He logically detemines that using the one he was currently wearing was a horrible idea, so he instead decides to take one from the ship.

He rushes back to the ship. He thinks he saw something jump for split second, but he disregards it. There, he sees an empty spacesuit laying on the ground. Perfect vessel, he thinks. Though a second gander changes his mind. The suit had a note on it. So instead of that, he takes a spare suit from a suit locker he finds. He fills the suit up with the many random boxes he finds, until it is full.

He then checks the map again. Yep, the fortress was still at the north pole.

Isabam has an idea. A awful idea. Isabam had a wonderful, awful idea. She suddenly decided that she wanted to go sail in the hydrocarbon sea. She took the obvious path of kicking down a tree along the coastline and getting on top of it.

It didn't work. The tree didn't float. It was far too dense. And the ocean wasn't water.

Current Characters

Spoiler: Lemmy | (30/30 HP) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Burt | (40/40 HP) (click to show/hide)

Did I die? Sadly, yes. But I LIVED!

The finals are finally finalised. Thank goodness.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2023, 01:08:49 am »

HUZZA, it has returned!

"Damn it, it's like everything we've been given on this mission was made by a minimalist."
Forget this place, go back to the ship and search for a pipe I can use to make a torch with.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2023, 03:48:51 am »

Beam down and lay out the cardboard boxes in the form of a boat-shape, large enough to carry several people.. if it was solid and not made of cardboard.

Fill the suit with ice pebbles and other fragments, then beam up to melt them on the ship.

With the suit full of now-liquid water, beam back down and wet the cardboard boat, making it into an ice-boat.

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2023, 05:09:01 pm »

Velklin
:■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▪▪▪▪▪
:■■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▫▫▫▫▫ □

"Aww... It seems they don't like the light..." Remarks Velklin, with a bit of disappointment audible in his voice as he watches the strange alien creatures bounce away from him. "I wonder about the others, though. Have they seen my light yet? Or maybe it needs to be a bit higher up...?" He ponders, mulling over what to do, to make his light visible to the others. "Hey! That's a cool idea!" he suddenly exclaims, after only a little bit of deliberation. "What if, it could fly up on it's own! I'll give the spell a bit more mana, and make it come to life! My very own wisp!" Velklin proclaims, dramatically holding the charged-up cast of [Fullest Moon] aloft above his head.

Action Recap
Action 1: Add mana to the [Fullest Moon] charge, with the intent of turning it into a wisp.
Combat Strategy: Avoid combat.

Squad:
  • None

Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 18, 2023, 10:24:14 am »

Should we continue?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2023, 10:36:56 am »

Should we continue?
Aye. Those who post, post. Those who don't, don't.
It's the bus driver's choice when the bus leaves the bus stop.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2023, 01:53:35 am »

Should we continue?
Aye. Those who post, post. Those who don't, don't.
It's the bus driver's choice when the bus leaves the bus stop.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 24, 2023, 05:14:17 pm »

Burt finds the vacant nature of the planet disgusting. He skips and prances around until he is under the ship and beams right up.

He looks at the exposed pipes, and has the idea of making a torch of some kind. He could, if the pipes would give way.

Code: [Select]
Burt tries making torch with pipe (10<): 2+4=6
But the pipes don't allow it. Burt curses under his breath. He tries to do it with another pipe. He picks one flimsy looking pipe and pulls with all his strength.

Burt tries making torch from pipe (10<): 9+4=13
The pipe crackles and dislodges from its place. Burt falls on his back with the pipe in his hand. First part of his plan was a success! Now, to actually make the pipe a torch...

But how? Burt asks himself. He is struck with a few ideas. He bends the pipes end so the torches fuel won't spill down, then he takes an empty box and stuffs it inside the pipe. He still needs to find a way to light the torch, and he is very skeptical of the possibility that this torch would work on places with no oxygen. But it is a torch.

Lemmy continues his quest to make a boat by descending down and putting the boxes into a boat like shape. He unfolds some to create a wide enough space for all them, then uses the rest to make the sides. With that done, he shovels ice pebbles into the now empty suit and brings it up to the ship.

By channelling mana, he heats up the ice filled suit and creates water as a result. He descends down to the cardboard boxes again to see a silly little critter ambling on them. It is very similar to the predatory creature he saw and killed earlier, but it is also very small. Maybe a juvenile form, or a smaller close relative?  It senses Lemmy and hops away and into the ethereal darkness, so what it is stays a mystery.

By pouring the water onto the boxes and watching them quickly freeze solid, he creates an ice boat.

But the question is; Will it swim?

Velklin's Fullest Moon, which he had casted earlier to use as a light source, cannot move on its own. In fact, if Velklin wanted to cast another spell, he would probably need to let it go first. So what if it was self-autonomous?

Velklin tries to animate a wisp (15<): 7+10: 17
He infuses a part of his mana into the spell, shaping an empty space in its core. Then, he taps into his own divinity to create a soul. He puts the soul into the empty space in the spell. And the light orb animates into independent life.

It circles around the demigod child with gratitude for its existence. All is well.

Current Characters

Spoiler: Lemmy | (30/30 HP) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Burt | (40/40 HP) (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 25, 2023, 04:03:45 am »

"Huzza I've made a torch....     Just in time to remember the planet doesn't have oxygen, damn it."
Put the pipe torch in the backpack then search around where I found the flare gun to see if I can't find a flashlight or something similar.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2023, 08:44:56 pm »

Does it float?
If so, lets call everyone down and get ready to move.
Are there any other unaddressed problems?

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 26, 2023, 06:01:33 am »

Velklin
:■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▪▪▪▪▪
:■■■ ▪▪▪▪▪ ▫▫▫▫▫ □

Delighted by the little wisp's spirited dance, Velklin laughs cheerfully, trying his best to keep track of it as it ducks and weaves under and around every part of him. "This is awesome! And even better than I had hoped for! I think I'll name you..." He exclaims before trailing off, trying to the think of a name for the creature, whose mere presence fills him with raw, undiluted joy. Captivated by the being he had created, he struggles to come up with a name for it, rather being focused on playing with it and giggling all the while. Until eventually he just picks a name for it off the top of his head: "Firi!" Velklin isn't sure whether the wisp agrees with the name or not, as it continues to circle around him the same way.

"Oh right... I did create you for a purpose..." Velklin mulls, almost an edge of uncertainty or nervousness in his voice, feeling slightly uncomfortable speaking of 'purpose' to a being of unknown intellect—he would come back to that thought later. He gathers himself and speaks again, "Go, Firi! Fly up and show me how brightly you shine! Light up the night!" trying to sound as playful and jovial as possible.

As soon as the words are said, Velklin quickly summons his diary/notebook and begins writing down the procedure for creating the wisp. At the same time, his thoughts turn back to the question of Firi's level of intelligence and capabilities, resolving to figure it out after he's done writing.

Action Recap
Action 1: Encourage Firi to fly up and cast it's light upon the terrain.
Action 2: Write down how Firi was made.
Action 3: Figure out whether Firi is sapient/capable of communication and what it's stats are, if it has any.
Combat Strategy: what combat?

Companions:
  • 'Firi', Wisp.
  • Geshemblos, 'Household God', Abiltiy: Fortify, Location: Unknown, presumably on the ship.
Squad:
  • None

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]