Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 51462 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #285 on: June 03, 2022, 03:04:18 pm »

"I belong to most hated, most despised, least supported political ideology: I am a moderate."
-Probably all those poor moderates that get caught in the crossfire
I have no strong feelings about this

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 03, 2022, 03:22:29 pm »

Edit:  On second thought, I'm rapid-posting as if I'm on Twitter (because I'm procrastinating something).  I'mma retract this post.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 03:57:15 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2022, 03:38:40 pm »

"I belong to most hated, most despised, least supported political ideology: I am a moderate."
-Probably all those poor moderates that get caught in the crossfire
I have no strong feelings about this
You all saw this coming

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 03, 2022, 04:47:05 pm »

It strikes me that everyone lacking a carbon copy of your beliefs is, to your mind, your ideological enemy.
At least on Twitter, this malignant form of ideological warfare is almost mandated by the 140 character limit.  Quite literally, in the McLuhan-esque sense, the medium is the message.

In a longer format, nuance could be afforded.  The 140 character thing favors "zingers" and other zero content non-communication over dialogue.

Then there's the even worse practice some have of treating it as a personal blog and writing 100+ long "threads" that are completely incomprehensible to anyone of a normal mentality.  Yes, when I see [1/162] it really makes me want to start out on that brutal slog.

It would be absurd to blame Twitter entirely for this degeneration of public discourse, but it's both a symptom and a cause of more than a fair amount of it.

tl;dr I hate Twitter and if that jerkass Musk crashes it with no survivors I won't care in the least.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 03, 2022, 11:12:22 pm »

I will die on the hill that left\right labels are silly for everyday use, especially when we talk about views of individuals and not about parties\movements

I know people who put me firmly in the far-left camp simply because I am an atheist and\or openly oppose homophobes\racists
Just because some people misuse labels, doesn't mean labels are useless.

It strikes me that everyone lacking a carbon copy of your beliefs is, to your mind, your ideological enemy.
At least on Twitter, this malignant form of ideological warfare is almost mandated by the 140 character limit.  Quite literally, in the McLuhan-esque sense, the medium is the message.

In a longer format, nuance could be afforded.  The 140 character thing favors "zingers" and other zero content non-communication over dialogue.

Then there's the even worse practice some have of treating it as a personal blog and writing 100+ long "threads" that are completely incomprehensible to anyone of a normal mentality.  Yes, when I see [1/162] it really makes me want to start out on that brutal slog.

It would be absurd to blame Twitter entirely for this degeneration of public discourse, but it's both a symptom and a cause of more than a fair amount of it.

tl;dr I hate Twitter and if that jerkass Musk crashes it with no survivors I won't care in the least.
I said I don't even post on Twitter. I just hate those people.

I hate it when people expect me to tolerate the far-right. I don't consider them worthy of rational debate, only mockery and, if possible, emotional abuse.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2022, 11:53:24 pm »

There are certain ideas that don't deserve legitimacy.
They're just so bad they need to be suppressed.
Really, the question is at what point does that occur.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 04, 2022, 12:06:37 am »

Decent starting point would probably some point a bit before you start endorsing replacement theory with any seriousness. If you felt like just starting at around Carlson and working your way down you'd probably end up alright.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 04, 2022, 12:31:02 am »

Yeah, I fucking hate Carlson. He's a hack that figured out early on he was just too stupid and annoying to ever succeed in Mainstream Media, so he veered hard right when few legitimate media personalities were interested in the right-wing media.
And he's mostly coasted ever since.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 04, 2022, 02:10:16 am »

How dare I hate people who support genocide and totalitarianism!
I also believe Th4DwArfY1's statement is true as you said I was a bad person because I just ignored people that said that kind of thing and I didn't see any point in making people like that suffer or die.

Also why have we come back to this discussion I thought it was done and over with.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 04, 2022, 03:44:07 am »

How dare I hate people who support genocide and totalitarianism!
I also believe Th4DwArfY1's statement is true as you said I was a bad person because I just ignored people that said that kind of thing and I didn't see any point in making people like that suffer or die.
I don't hate you, nor do I consider you an enemy. You have bad beliefs, but I don't want to see you punished for it because they are not bad enough.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 04, 2022, 07:22:27 am »

I've always found this ''left and right'' stuff confusing. Like, what do they even mean? Can't we just classify people as ''cool and shitty''?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 04, 2022, 07:43:16 am »

How about if one's politics is to be economically cool but socially shitty?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 04, 2022, 08:21:36 am »

How about if one's politics is to be economically cool but socially shitty?

No not like that. Why can't we just put all the fascists and bigots into the shitty category, rest to cool?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 04, 2022, 12:03:11 pm »

Because the shitty category is already full of politicians?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 04, 2022, 02:34:42 pm »

Because the shitty category is already full of politicians?

The Shitty Ones have inflitrated our goverments, you say?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 69