Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 51467 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #300 on: June 04, 2022, 02:45:20 pm »

I hate it when people expect me to tolerate the far-right. I don't consider them worthy of rational debate, only mockery and, if possible, emotional abuse.
I don't have to tolerate anyone though.  As early as Usenet, I could simply filter out any content I didn't like with regex, if I wanted to get that agitated about content I didn't like.  Or sort it with scorefiles so the stuff I liked would instantly float to the top while stuff I didn't was down in the cesspool that I generally ignored.

Somehow, this kind of functionality has nearly disappeared from any online forum.  Technology has gotten worse in the 30 years since I could just instantly find what I wanted to find on the Internet and ignore morons.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 04, 2022, 10:30:18 pm »

I hate it when people expect me to tolerate the far-right. I don't consider them worthy of rational debate, only mockery and, if possible, emotional abuse.
I don't have to tolerate anyone though.  As early as Usenet, I could simply filter out any content I didn't like with regex, if I wanted to get that agitated about content I didn't like.  Or sort it with scorefiles so the stuff I liked would instantly float to the top while stuff I didn't was down in the cesspool that I generally ignored.

Somehow, this kind of functionality has nearly disappeared from any online forum.  Technology has gotten worse in the 30 years since I could just instantly find what I wanted to find on the Internet and ignore morons.
I could have witnessed the (twilight years of) Usenet if my family had internet when I was young.

But yeah, that's a downside of everything being more interconnected.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 05, 2022, 02:11:56 am »

I don't hate you, nor do I consider you an enemy. You have bad beliefs, but I don't want to see you punished for it because they are not bad enough.
Well that's good, but what would make it bad enough?

I've always found this ''left and right'' stuff confusing. Like, what do they even mean? Can't we just classify people as ''cool and shitty''?
Just shove them all into the shitty category and you'll be right most of the time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 05, 2022, 02:50:34 pm »

Some sets of beliefs simply could not lead to a positive outcome if carried into action.  I do think though that a lot more potential terrorists get caught when allowed to run their mouth and reveal their intentions in advance.  And in many cases, the speech itself might be illegal, such as true threats or incitement to imminent lawless action.  Even when they aren't saying outright illegal things, they often give away that they're probably an unstable person to be given a broad berth if possible.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 05, 2022, 11:17:42 pm »

I don't hate you, nor do I consider you an enemy. You have bad beliefs, but I don't want to see you punished for it because they are not bad enough.
Being an actual bigot. You don't seem to be.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 06, 2022, 02:29:36 am »

Being an actual bigot. You don't seem to be.
I don't think I am at least I wasn't last time I checked.

Also any news on that whole twitter thing with that Elon guy?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #306 on: June 06, 2022, 03:28:31 am »

No more information since he invented the concept of putting deals "on hold". NYpost is the only newspaper to still cover that trainwreck and without new solid information.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 06, 2022, 03:51:51 am »

No more information since he invented the concept of putting deals "on hold". NYpost is the only newspaper to still cover that trainwreck and without new solid information.
It is hardly a new concept.  Hollywood has been doing it for decades.
I guess it was all a hoax after all, otherwise we'd see Twitter's spokespeople being far more vocal.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #308 on: June 06, 2022, 04:35:02 am »

Musk of all people is an usual client of that sort of tactic. Do/say outrageous things on the internet and fish in the troubled waters. Maybe he'll buy Twitter, maybe he'll back off the deal somehow, maybe he'll be forced to buy. We don't know, and really, we shouldn't let that influence our lives and decisions because it is the crux of the tactic.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 06, 2022, 07:06:26 am »

Elon would be very good at playing Jester in Mafia.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #310 on: June 06, 2022, 08:17:26 am »

He's a natural at being a clown.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 06, 2022, 08:40:20 am »

He's a natural at being a clown.

This clown made billions... Mostly by selling hype to naive people, manipulating stock markets, getting access to taxpayers' money... but he made billions.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 06, 2022, 08:43:46 am »

My dad is convinced that Musk made money off the debacle by, let me see if I remember...  Using a fixed amount of Tesla stock as collateral, and Tesla plummeted on the news, so he paid a much lower fine than he should have?  Presumably gaining money by selling stock beforehand like he always does, the scum.

I have no idea if that's true at all, but I'm grateful my dad isn't into crypto or Musk's cons.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #313 on: June 06, 2022, 09:09:53 am »

This clown made billions... Mostly by selling hype to naive people, manipulating stock markets, getting access to taxpayers' money... but he made billions.

He actually inherited most of his wealth made in south africa using democratic and human means I'm sure, and the rest is a lesson to be learnt about electing officials who read the paper before signing grants, but you are right, he also cons people (HeY gUys WaNt To bUy DoGe CoIns). None of his businesses are returning profits.

Edit : As for his wealth, from what I grasped, it's mostly paper wealth. The stocks of his companies do not return dividends and I'm not even sure they grant meaningful voting rights, meaning they only have a speculative value. So yeah. Extremely volatile and only valuable as long as you find someone willing to buy for higher, expecting to sell it for higher. The day bidders stop coming at the door, the value is wiped clean. You're better off investing in tulips.

I have no idea if that's true at all, but I'm grateful my dad isn't into crypto or Musk's cons.

Imho you're overestimating the man. He's just crossing fingers that Twitter let him off the hook at this point in time. He thought it was a funny joke, and got pushed into doing something dumb and now he's waking up and is praying for things to fix themselves. He's the James Cameron of the tech industry.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:22:08 am by Cathar »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 06, 2022, 11:39:23 am »

My dad is convinced that Musk made money off the debacle by, let me see if I remember...  Using a fixed amount of Tesla stock as collateral, and Tesla plummeted on the news, so he paid a much lower fine than he should have?  Presumably gaining money by selling stock beforehand like he always does, the scum.

Musk made money off of the twitter deal because it gave him an excuse to liquidate 8.5 billion dollars worth of overvalued Tesla stock while it was near its peak price. Even if he pays the billion dollar quitter's fee, he's still making a 7.5 bill profit assuming he doesn't buy it back when the price crashes.

The only way Musk can lose now is if Twitter forces Musk to buy it against his will. There are indeed mechanisms in place to make that happen. We'll have to wait to see if they will come in play
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 69