Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 51455 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #360 on: July 14, 2022, 12:55:57 am »

I wonder how big a shit fit Elon will throw when he loses and has to buy Twitter?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 14, 2022, 06:11:45 am »

It's not quite "lost down the back of the sofa" quantities, even for him, but I don't think "being forced to buy Twitter" is a big issue, rather than being forced to pay out for not buying Twitter. If the settlement forces the sale to go through then he's no worse off than if forced to just donate the same amount as punitive penalty without even having a holding at the end of it.

(Should it be "pay this amount, regardless", then actually taking control even of the suboptimal platform would be like that but "...and hey... free Twitter!")

Really, I expect Musk can make it work (in his own way) without too much fuss. He's no stranger to online hubs, and if he fails after he has raised such deal-threatening concerns then it exonerates him and makes us perhaps a bit more sympathetic (to balance against any feelings of schadenfreude we might also have until the next big thing, good or bad, wipes this whole episode from our collective memories). While if he makes it (continue to) work then he becomes the saviour of mankind in that way, as well as any eggs/baskets redistrubtion he initiates through his space programme. He hasn't much to lose that he hasn't already theoretically committed to put into the pot. Perhaps.

Possibly the gameplay was never meant to be more than an advanced "Outsider Trading" venture. Perhaps it has gone horribly wrong. Or perhaps it's still going horribly right, according to plan. I'm sure he knows, himself, but I doubt we can disentangle the front from the deep thought processes grinding away in his internal gears, ratchetting up the building costs and/or benefits of this particular wheeze.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2022, 12:11:47 pm »

I wonder how big a shit fit Elon will throw when he loses and has to buy Twitter?
Never going to happen. By saying this, I guarantee it happens  :P

Realistically, Elon will have to pay a sum of money for not buying Twitter. This might encourage him to buy it instead, probably at a lower price than currently.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #363 on: July 15, 2022, 09:09:27 am »

Patric Boyle made a video on that affair.

The TL;DR is : Twitter has zero patience for Musk's antics and is going to enforce the contract with weapons in Delaware's court. The case looks open and shut, and the only way out for Musk is to beg to his knees, so the case doesn't reach the court. In the best, absolute best scenario, he will just have to soldier that 1 billion dollar face slap... but it's not going to be the best case scenario. More realistics option are :

• He tries to fight, gets crushed and has to pay full price for a company he damaged himself
• He cries and begs and will pay 10% of the buyout price to scramble out of the deal.

Twitter's board cannot proceed to sell him the company at a much lower price, because, as Elon said when he was still high, they are bound by fiduciary duty to their shareholders. They don't have a lot of wriggle room in lowering the buyout price, and franckly they look like they are out for blood anyway.

Oh and the SEC may take the occasion to come to him with long knives too.

Edit : And, silly of me, mentionning long knives and forgetting Brutus' bladeworks, without which that absolute circus could not be complete.

If you want to invest in Tesla, some stock is hitting the market soon !
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 11:35:48 am by Cathar »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 16, 2022, 02:33:15 am »

as Elon said when he was high,
This right here is pretty much what I've thought was going on with the guy every time I hear about him.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 16, 2022, 02:50:45 am »

I think it would be a mistake to underestimate the (briefly) richest man in the world.  He schemes.

The theory I still find convincing is that this is more stock market manipulation.  His original contract isn't for a dollar amount (If I'm remembering right), it's for a certain number of Tesla stocks (the total value of which included a meme number, when he announced).

I find it reasonable that he tanked Tesla on purpose and profited off that very predictable stock movement.  Shorting is a thing, as are friends an' family.  The stock market is stacked.  Otherwise it wouldn't be such a lucrative industry.  It produces nothing.  NOTHING.  It's supposed to provide investment to new businesses, which is a joke.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 20, 2022, 11:07:48 am »

Edit : And, silly of me, mentionning long knives and forgetting Brutus' bladeworks, without which that absolute circus could not be complete.
Wow, that is probably the most honest, truthful, and accurate thing I've ever seen Trump say. Not that it's 100% accurate (LOL to that!), but you can't bite the hand that feeds you if you want more food.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 28, 2022, 01:10:27 pm »

(Glad this gif already existed so I didn't have to make my own.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 28, 2022, 03:47:15 pm »

Now if only there was a terrified "Oh God! It's happening!" counterpart gif already made to express the amount of dread I feel. I have lost a lot of respect for Elon Musk over that past few months (and I didn't have much to begin with) so I'm a lot more cagey about him owning twitter than I used to be.

May God help us all.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 28, 2022, 03:59:44 pm »

Seems like a more appropriate reaction.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #370 on: October 28, 2022, 04:15:58 pm »

twitter is way more fun now. I never cared for the wanking of bluechecks

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 28, 2022, 04:18:42 pm »

This reminds me: Did you know Government Tweets are a thing?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 28, 2022, 05:01:33 pm »

If you remember Elon Musk makes most of his decisions based on how high he is at the moment, it should all make sense.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 28, 2022, 09:27:50 pm »

This will be the end of Twitter.

I will definitely use any alternative that pops up and grows big more if it's more heavily censored.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 69