Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 51267 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2022, 12:21:55 pm »

My take is, Elon is just doing what "public" CEOs who make decisions off the cuff do.

He's trying to take as little time as possible to make decisions that have massive implications.

So in his cocktail napkin math, fire the bottom 50% of coders that produced the least code. That totally makes sense to him.

Or making people pay for verification per month. "X # of users times $8/month = my financial problems at Twitter are solved. Gosh I'm so smart, I'm sure there's nothing I'm over looking."

Those are just a few examples of "I gave this 20 minutes of thought and didn't consult anyone, because I'm a gggeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnniiiiiiuuuuuuuuusssssssssss" style of decision making. With predictable results.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 12:24:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2022, 02:58:36 pm »

Watching this slow-motion trainwreck is actually entertaining. Will we see the first collapse of a major social network? We had a spectacular failure of Google+ but that abonimation just failed to take off.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2022, 03:12:37 pm »

Watching this slow-motion trainwreck is actually entertaining. Will we see the first collapse of a major social network? We had a spectacular failure of Google+ but that abonimation just failed to take off.

Oh, that particular visual fills me with mirth. I sure hope that will happen.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2022, 03:35:16 pm »

Did Myspace collapse? I mean it's still around but it's been mostly forgotten,

Also Zuckerberg is flailing around burning billions making his lame second-life VR Metaverse nonsense that a lot of people don't care about and the apple privacy changes blasted a hole in their cash flows, so we'll see how that turns out.

Elon's doing Elon stuff which we all know.

Tiktok always seems to be on the verge of being declared a national security threat in America.

Lot of different scenarios that may play out here
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 07, 2022, 04:37:30 pm »

The alternatives to Twitter are crap, because they are not scalable (sure, some have decent features and good online communities, but that will not scale upwards). Even the got-no-Twitter-account-but-follow-some-feeds people are not going to want something new.

Without that alternative, Twitter will survive and become profitable. Firing the board was an excellent first step towards a positive profit margin.

For the blue-check's $8/month fee, that seems like a few dollars too much, but it links a bank account to the Twitter account, and wouldn't that assist with enforcement of those federal/state hate-speech laws and with keeping hate-breeders from getting new Twitter accounts after their old Twitter account was banned?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2022, 04:56:30 pm »

For the blue-check's $8/month fee, that seems like a few dollars too much, but it links a bank account to the Twitter account, and wouldn't that assist with enforcement of those federal/state hate-speech laws and with keeping hate-breeders from getting new Twitter accounts after their old Twitter account was banned?
In a theoretical world where twitter hadn't fired most/all of their moderation/legal teams, maybe? We don't live in that world, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2022, 05:29:38 pm »

I used to follow the Halo Wars forum back in the day. I joined back when people were speculating about the new Halo game, and stayed loosely around for a while as it turned into an extremely dry community of people discussing tactics for an increasingly niche strategy game. After years of the latter, the moderators announced that they were taking the weekend off one time.

The site immediately turned into a 4chan-style cesspool upon their departure, and just as quickly turned back when the moderators returned.

I never actually used Twitter, but it's been darkly fun seeing exactly what I was telling people would happen if the moderation was removed.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2022, 05:52:09 pm »

Those moderation/legal teams... who were put in place by the previous board? You know that there are going to be family-and-friend connections between those legal teams and the old board, right? "My sister's kid is graduating law school and needs a job, can you get them into Twitter?" and "Sure, I'll get them into the new compliance group we need to set up..." In businesses where decisions effect stock prices, upper management and legal groups are always controlled through a social network. Musk just fired the board which created that social network, so it is likely that almost everyone in Twitter's legal teams were getting the boot.

It is silly to think that moderation and compliance with federal/state law is going to disappear forever from Twitter. That would be an invite to federal/state level lawsuits.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2022, 06:32:41 pm »

Musk fired a lot more than the board which created the social network, he booted somewhere over literally half the workforce involved... and so clumsily there's been fairly reliable reporting twitter has been trying to hire back people they just fired. Moderation and compliance may not disappear forever, but it would be silly to expect it's going to be even equal to what was there previously, nevermind better. There was already features on twitter that involved money, the proposed subscription service isn't really adding anything new on that front, and it's doing it in a situation where the moderation, admin, and legal teams just got outright gutted.

... it probably will invite state and federal level lawsuits, though. If you haven't noticed Musk doesn't seem to care all that much about that sort of thing :P
Ask not!
Ask!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 08, 2022, 03:33:59 am »

I'm looking forward to the part where all this social media shit collapses on itself and just fucks off.

Also isn't firing the board a thing everyone does when you buy out a company?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2022, 07:05:31 am »

I'm looking forward to the part where all this social media shit collapses on itself and just fucks off.

About as likely as search engines dying out in 1990s. Current may die but only to be replaced with new ones
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 08, 2022, 08:22:06 am »

Also isn't firing the board a thing everyone does when you buy out a company?
Nah, especially not so quickly or in its entirety. It's fairly common for some or all of the top management to be retained, and even when they're replaced, it's usually after a transition period where the new owner(s) has time to, y'know, figure out what the hell they were doing and how they were going about it, etc. It's a meme/trope thing in entertainment, but in reality immediately firing the heads of business is, well, dumb. It's remarkably stupid and not what most businesses do. Eventually replace, sure, but just boot the lot of them? Nah.

... it's particularly uncommon to do so in a shitstupid way that gets your new company hit with lawsuits by roughly every single one of them over severance payments and whatnot. I've seen folks note that there's probably entire law firms that are going to be in comfortable business for the next few years handling just the cases that's going to come from that, nevermind everyone further down the employment ladder.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 08:25:07 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 09, 2022, 01:01:03 pm »

Paywalls usually lead to the death of online business models.
I have a more useful idea, but fuck Twitter and the twit. Let's see if they figure it out.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 09, 2022, 09:53:48 pm »

He introduced a paywall AND destroyed the verification system helping trolls (and scammers) of various kinds. I didn't expect such a level of idiocy...

This shistorm proves to me (once again) that Musk has three skills that made him a very rich man. Namely: creating hype, manipulating stock markets, getting access to Taxpayers' money

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 10, 2022, 02:07:41 am »

He seems hell bent on destroying twitter, which seems weird after how much money he just spent on buying it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 69