Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 49519 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #330 on: June 07, 2022, 11:52:40 am »

As for AI, just think of Air Bags and Seat Belts. Once an AI can drive a car safer than the average driver

Safer than an average driver won't be enough. No car manufacturer will want to play liabilities for AI errors. And with slightly safer than an average driver there will be A LOT of deaths, injuries, and damaged property caused by AI errors.

BTW, I laughed so hard when Musk promised "thousands of fully autonomous robotaxis next year." or something like that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:56:41 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #331 on: June 07, 2022, 12:26:04 pm »

Then he promised sex-bots and went to trial for showing his dong to a journalist. Business as usual, I guess. Safe investment, serious guy.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 08, 2022, 03:12:31 am »

I don't see myself ever not owning a car since I live about 30 minutes from town and want noting to do with town life.

And I don't really see wide spread electric car ownership within the next 30 or so years do to the massive cost of the things and the whole need to be recharged for 4-6 hours thing, also because of a study I saw a few years ago that said that some countries such as the US and UK were just barely producing enough electricity to power the things that were there at the time, so adding loads of vehicles powered by electricity would make the problem worse do to all the added load on the infrastructure.

Has anything Musk promised actually happened?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 08, 2022, 03:19:54 am »

I don't see myself ever not owning a car since I live about 30 minutes from town and want noting to do with town life.

And I don't really see wide spread electric car ownership within the next 30 or so years do to the massive cost of the things and the whole need to be recharged for 4-6 hours thing, also because of a study I saw a few years ago that said that some countries such as the US and UK were just barely producing enough electricity to power the things that were there at the time, so adding loads of vehicles powered by electricity would make the problem worse do to all the added load on the infrastructure.

His Space Dongs Rockets mostly work. He went to Space.Probably He's infected our minds so we can't stop talking about him.

As for Electric Cars, all it takes an incredibly stupid government to say "Gas is Illegal".  It's closer than any of us realize. 
Governments don't have to know how to implement things: They just say DO THIS SHIT, and stumble around the consequences.
And it's gotten worse, I think.  Then again, I wasn't around 100 years ago, so maybe its just my perception.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 08, 2022, 05:22:16 am »

As for Electric Cars, all it takes an incredibly stupid government to say "Gas is Illegal".  It's closer than any of us realize. 
Governments don't have to know how to implement things: They just say DO THIS SHIT, and stumble around the consequences.
UK policy (if that's any guarantee) is to stop all new pure-fuel vehicle sales by 2030 and phase out hybrid even by 2035.

Several caveats there, from "but of course the schedule will slip, due to 'unforeseen issues'" to "what if going all-electric is shown to be bad, the way that the push for diesels was a decade or so ago".

I don't think the energy issue need be a problem. Push for every electricity-generation option going (resubsidise rooftop solar, especially large factories, etc) plus energy storage (to smooth things out, if wind, tide, sun all are at a minimum and the other 'on demands' need ramping up) and do more for household efficiencies than the last few lackluster attempts at it. But, knowing governments, it will be badly handled and so it might be touch-and-go whether that becomes a future problem.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #335 on: June 08, 2022, 09:05:25 am »

As far as I know, his investment in Paypal is the only of his ploys rendering society a service of any kind, Tesla doesn't count. Feel free to correct me, but other than Paypal, which with all its flaws and its unfair transaction prices, is at least of some use to the public, nothing ever really worked.

Edit : before anyone mentions Starlink, if we never go to visit the actual stars, it will be because of idiotic ventures like this one, ending up clogging the lower orbit with space junk we cannot remove.

His Space Dongs Rockets mostly work.

As far as I know, most of them explode in a very non environmentally friendly burst of fuel flames in the natural reserve around Boca Chica, which harbours a collection of endengered species. What history will remember of his rockets, is Texan government expropriating villagers at gunpoint to make way for a private venture ending up in exterminating rare species of cats and turtles.

Wild life preservations societies and expropriated residents are currently organizing to end that joke, which to them is of little comedy value.

He's infected our minds so we can't stop talking about him.

He has a good communication team, that's for sure. Saturation of the public space is the essence of propaganda.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 09:10:46 am by Cathar »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 08, 2022, 10:20:41 am »

Starlinks are immensely useful on Ukrainian frontlines but I really doubt the practicality of those in civilian use and yes, space junk is a problem.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #337 on: June 08, 2022, 10:28:03 am »

It is blasting Russian agit-prop in Ukrainian canals. The whole "free speech absolutism" side of that affair. Not once I have heard anyone involved in Ukrainian conflict mentionning Starlink, and I follow that conflict closely.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I'll ask for sources on that, especially since Elon was critiqued especially for promoting racist agit-prop with his array.

AFAIK Ukrainians want weapons, not mass medias.

Edit : Ukrainians don't communicate via starlink when they are on the frontline, do they ? Russians were notorious for communicating with bad opsec at the beggining of the war and it contributed to the failure of their their blitz toward Kiev
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 10:46:07 am by Cathar »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 08, 2022, 11:05:04 am »

Ukrainians don't communicate via starlink when they are on the frontline, do they ? Russians were notorious for communicating with bad opsec at the beggining of the war and it contributed to the failure of their their blitz toward Kiev

Sometimes you need your communications to work and don't care much if the source can be detected. And Starlinks works as long as you have a generator\battery to power it. It is also surprisingly hard to jam. For example, it is how surrounded defenders of Mariupol were able to send videos outside.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 08, 2022, 03:41:21 pm »

Starlinks are immensely useful on Ukrainian frontlines but I really doubt the practicality of those in civilian use and yes, space junk is a problem.

Actually, this is the Number 1 reason to invest in Musk.
He's build a monopoly in the Space Trade through Starlink and Space Junk. You ain't getting into space without Musk's approval.
This is also the Number 1 reason NOT to invest in Musk. Governments don't like that sort of thing, so he'll eventually get smacked down to size.

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2022, 06:47:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure starlink can exist mainly because the US internet service cartel can't easily shut it down like it can land-based competitors, allowing it access to a huge market of consumers that is used to being price-gouged for internet.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:49:36 pm by taat »
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 08, 2022, 08:04:29 pm »

Starlinks are in a low earth orbit so they automatically fall out of orbit after a time, and are not large enough to pose any risk of hitting the ground.  I'm not sure whether they cause more terrestrial pollution to launch or to self-decommission.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 09, 2022, 03:04:24 am »

So we've found the one thing Musk has done that wasn't complete shit, way to go team!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 09, 2022, 08:36:42 am »

So we've found the one thing Musk has done that wasn't complete shit, way to go team!
And of course, it's Flying Penises.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 10, 2022, 01:28:01 am »

And of course, it's Flying Penises.
It all makes since now he needed to make dickships so he could one day return to Dickplanet!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 69