Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 53295 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #690 on: July 02, 2023, 02:11:39 am »

This feels completely insane from a business standpoint. Is twitter truly so close to collapse?
According to the website the daily limit is in the range of 10k for verified users, 1000 for unverified and 500 for new unverified

How many twittes do you read a day? and have you ever read more than 500 twittes a day?

Essentially they are limiting ability to data mine, same thing many other services do, same reason the idiots on reddit doing blackouts.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 02, 2023, 02:23:16 am »

I think it's just the fact that there's a limit at all that people are pissed about, I don't think I've read a twitter in years because there are better sites that I can get the same info.

Also I don't care what it does as long as it dies.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 02, 2023, 02:26:57 am »

Twitter was my main way to get news from all over the world quickly. It is unusable for this now.
Same here. I also used it to track scientific conferences
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 02, 2023, 02:32:51 am »

I think it's just the fact that there's a limit at all that people are pissed about
if its rate limit that doesn't affect you then this is just an excuse to be pissed..

There is a similar thing with reddit, some subs decided todo annoying blackouts but it seem that they are over it, or at least I am going to be over the subs that isn't.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 02, 2023, 02:48:58 am »

I think it's just the fact that there's a limit at all that people are pissed about
if its rate limit that doesn't affect you then this is just an excuse to be pissed..
I've noticed that a lot of people these days don't need much of a reason to get pissed off about something.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 02, 2023, 03:00:32 am »

Twitte me about it  :P

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 02, 2023, 03:16:49 am »

This feels completely insane from a business standpoint. Is twitter truly so close to collapse?
How many twittes do you read a day? and have you ever read more than 500 twittes a day?

I get like 100 new per hour in my feed alone, WAY more if there is something important happening. That is without opening a twitt to read responses. That is without searches including just clicking on trends. And it is without ever looking in that stupid "for you" timeline that shows you the same messages again, and again, and again.

Hey, opening one Musk's (or any other popular) twitt will likely kill your daily limit.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 02, 2023, 04:20:05 am »

Hopefully as heavy user you have an account, so roughly you can enjoy 10 hours a day of twitter feed.. sounds pretty good to me, but I am sure they will be tweaking this rollout for the edge cases.

This would affect spammers and teenagers who spend all day online who might choose to go to.. tiktok? instead. Meanwhile professionals might choose to spend the few bucks a month.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 02, 2023, 04:59:23 am »

Hopefully as heavy user you have an account, so roughly you can enjoy 10 hours a day of twitter feed.. sounds pretty good to me, but I am sure they will be tweaking this rollout for the edge cases.

This would affect spammers and teenagers who spend all day online who might choose to go to.. tiktok? instead. Meanwhile professionals might choose to spend the few bucks a month.

No, I am not a heavy user. Not even close. And no, there are no 10 hours because normal use includes much more than scrolling through your timeline. It is also not twitts, it is requests and it is extremely vague what requests mean. Getting a displayed message is one of those requests (fun fact - advertisements COUNT) but there are many more types of requests. Like browser\app checking if there are updates

Those limitations are ridiculous and, if not lifted soon, will be the end of Twitter.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 02, 2023, 05:20:13 am »

Let me rephrase, this isn't affecting me, and I suspect it does/would not affect most people.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 02, 2023, 05:39:14 am »

Let me rephrase, this isn't affecting me, and I suspect it does/would not affect most people.

And how do you use Twitter then?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 02, 2023, 06:08:07 am »

Ripperoni. I won't miss it.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 02, 2023, 07:23:51 am »

That'd be really unusual, because it's been hitting a ton of people really hard since it started. The specific implementation is so shit folks are hitting the rate limit sometimes in minutes, just in the process of normal usage. If you're actually able to browse for any particular length of time, you're either going extremely slowly or somehow managing to stick to tweets that have almost no replies to them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 02, 2023, 11:23:56 am »

According to the website the daily limit is in the range of 10k for verified users, 1000 for unverified and 500 for new unverified

Back in the days of being entertained/horrified by the post of a certain 'leader', I could easily read more than that in a single scroll (in fact, giving up on scrolling, but knowing that the page had loaded(/was cued up to load) many more. Never mind checking on any mildly-nested tweet that looked interesting and had replies (or looked like it might have interesting replies).

Now, I've no idea how it looks to an actual account-holder (and, e.g. via the App), but it seems to me that it doesn't take much effort to scroll through 10k tweets (perhaps skimming and scanning for the pearls amongst swine; or even the more pearly swine). And quarter of an hour concentrated 'one a second' skimming isn't totally unexpected for an experienced (not-new) unverified user, surely. (Or half an hour of wallowing around and two seconds each puts you at 90% of the quota.)

As a no-account reader, though, I'm glad that I mostly don't rely on tweets. Maybe it'd pursuade me to register (and suffer the 500 limit) if I was keeping an eye on Highways Agency notifications (from which I'd need to mind-filter out all those that don't pertain to any roads I'm not using) or had a reason to follow the progress of a sponsored charity event or had an extensive schedule of space-mission reportages to keep up-to-date with. Or just was rather used to perusing various "Joke/Word/Recipe/Puzzle/Fact Of The Day" sources.

Luckily, I tend to know self-published resources for any of those things. Not as handy, perhaps, as a centralised Tweet-access point, and I also find anywhere that has "follow us on Facebook for more details" to be just as awkward because of the 'facebook enveloping' (javascript cruft/etc) and especially when it's not visible at all for unregistered (thus 'non-friended') access. But you just know that others will be excessively hurt (at least in their psyche) either by being unable to continue with their prior habits or by losing any effective-followership due to hard decisions by those followers as far as self-rationing is concerned. (Or not sufficiently restraining themselves then hitting the hard-limit.)

It almost looks like a broken attempt to promote the "blue-tick-4-money" service, except that I think we've already established that it's a broken attempt to get around more technical (B2B) issues. Either way, I imagine some will now 'upgrade' (almost three hours now possible of rapid tweet-skimming, for the truly devoted/addicted), but I think it'll put off some who were maybe thinking of doing so, seeing how a bit of server-side wankery can render even 'premium' users disadvantaged quite a bit...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 02, 2023, 12:20:58 pm »

Absolutely wild that someone's still defending the platform even now.  Even the anti-trans dipshits I exchanged dopamine with all dried up, almost instantly, and I've left too.

I was using it for important news from a few people but they were always posting less-awful places.  The fun content-bots like egg_irl mostly disappeared months ago with the API changes (sounds familiar) and they were mostly reposting from Reddit anyway.

It's so over, and good riddance!

Two days ago I got an update on a report I made on an "incelbund" who kept using the n-word with a 1 and other abbreviations, saying completely explicit white-supremacist things.  I think he caught my eye for telling trans people in general to kill ourselves, but it's "weird" how many transphobes are vehement racists too.  I made the report two weeks ago, and the update was "we're looking into it and considering context".

cuz they fired pretty much the whole moderation team ages ago
It's a dead platform yo
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 69