Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Traitors in the Fortress: Presidential Executions: Traitors Win!  (Read 12905 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Traitors in the Fortress: Presidential Executions: Traitors Win!
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2022, 03:36:44 pm »

I got in here only shortly before my first post today, after everyone had already moved from obvscum knightwing to you (who I was pretty sure was town), and I didn't have much time to say anything even then. In the gaps between my posts today I was mostly not even here. Besides, I clearly didn't have the power to convince you. So I pretty much figured, welp, guess town's losing, might as well find something else to do.
Before that, I seem to recall that I was pushing the vote in the direction of Knightwing being obviously scum. I can't quite remember if that was right or not, would you remind me?

Look, man, a little humility would be nice. You were so goddamn sure of yourself, even I wanted to switch my vote to you even though I thought you were town. Is it any surprise that Jim did? Now you're just pettily grumbling again, accusing Roden, Knightwing, Jim, and me of all screwing it up for you in different ways as if that changes your own mistake; it's like something my mom would do, I swear. Obviously, town loses as a team and there is blame to go around, but you don't need to point out everyone else's.

I'm not trying to be harsh, this is a pattern for you and it'd be a good idea to remember it the next time you feel 100% certain you've single-handedly figured out the scum team, before you start high-handedly choreographing all of town's future votes.

Tell me, seriously, because I want to understand this, why were you so sure that Knightwing couldn't be the king? I don't mean to harp on this, I'm just utterly baffled and I really do want to know what your reasoning was. I need this information for the future.
I didn't really care if Knightwing was the king. It actually didn't matter. Using the ability automatically made it so that the elimination of the King didn't end the game:
However at the end of the day if you failed to lynch a Traitor, you will be killed by the Grudgeful King. If the Grudgeful King is lynched while this ability is active and a Traitor isn't, Town's Win Condition becomes Lynching all Traitors.
I just didn't tell you the downsides to using the power because it wasn't relevant, since we lost if we didn't vote correctly anyway. I tend not to disclose things like that because I lie, like, 150% of the time.

Now, I didn't think Knightwing was scum because we had obvtown EuchreJack being attacked by three people for very silly reasons, of which did NOT contain Knightwing. EuchreJack is just an easily read player by me, and that, in itself, is a very identifiable pattern. That's how I work and have always worked, and I'm consistently right about it, even when I'm scum, if you can believe it.

If you want to understand it, then don't question my read of EuchreJack. That is all. If I say EuchreJack is Town, then I put 1000% of my energy into defending that statement. That's all you have to understand. If I say EuchreJack is Town, then I'm gonna make sure that you believe that, and if you don't believe it, then you're missing something crucial, and I haven't made my point clear enough. It was a chainsaw defense, pure and simple. In fact, if anything, the misdirection on defending Knightwing is half the point.

Perhaps I shouldn't do that... But, I'm still gonna do it, mostly because it's way more engaging for me. This was mostly to help make that clear.

I don't really care if you or anyone else blames me for losing. Ain't anyone blaming themselves more than me anyway.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2022, 03:38:42 pm »

Ngl, shit actually was happening IRL but I kinda checked out when the double lynch reveal happened. I would've froze regardless, since Knightwing's lynch felt inevitable and I had no idea how to signal to him how to play around the gimmick. My strategy at that point was to just draw the votes away from Knightwing by purposely sticking to my scum meta and prevent as much info spew as possible.

I actually thought Toony was town up until he seemed defeated, so all game I just thought "oh God, I can't argue around Web and Toony." For a moment I thought maybe the other guard was Max or Jim and that they were trying to signal to me, but the longer than game went on the more they just felt town to me.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2022, 03:45:16 pm »

I thought web was a guard. Also, sorry for not playing too well. I didn’t know what to do. I had no abilities, no information and am apparently very easy to read.

I didn’t really see a choice but to lurk and reveal as little as possible because I knew that if I didn’t, I would give something away and I would lose.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2022, 04:01:29 pm »

If we had a private chat I probably would've told you to just play aggressively and not to be afraid of getting voted out. It ultimately worked out here to lurk, but I think you could've gotten away with just suspecting whoever suspected you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2022, 04:30:20 pm »

Very good, very fun. These wins just keep getting dumber and I'm here for it.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2022, 04:37:51 pm »

Congratulations to Knightwing64, Roden, and Toonyman for your well-deserved win.

At this point, I only have myself to blame for joining a game without reviewing the setup.

Lynch all lurkers

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2022, 04:39:59 pm »

I didn't really care if Knightwing was the king. It actually didn't matter. Using the ability automatically made it so that the elimination of the King didn't end the game:
No, that's not what I mean, I mean that you specifically said that Knightwing wasn't the king, in those words. For example, here:
I just do not believe that Knightwing is the King. [...] If anything, I think Knightwing accidentally spilled Town, but that's personal preference at this point.
It's not a matter of not caring, it's that you said he wasn't, and I want to know on what basis, because I could not see him as anything else.

If it's just because he wasn't attacking EuchreJack... I don't understand that reasoning. Obviously town players can attack EuchreJack. But all the rest of the stuff about EuchreJack in  the rest of your post is unavailing since... I did think EuchreJack was town, and I said so, so what does that have to do with anything? If you mean that your goal is to leave me completely convinced that EuchreJack was town or bust, then I guess unstoppable force and immovable object, since I have never been completely convinced of anything in my life. You seemed to have spent the game trying to argue me into agreeing that something I already thought was probably true was completely 100% guaranteed dogmatically true, which can only possible erode my belief in that thing. To be clear, yes, I did think you and EuchreJack were probably town, and by the end I was sure that at least you were, so I do not understand why you wasted so much energy on attacking me. From your perspective there cannot have been anything wrong with my vote on Knightwing. If you're just going to assume that anyone who doesn't take your word for things is scum, then you're always going to scumread me because I don't take anyone's word for things.

Very good, very fun. These wins just keep getting dumber and I'm here for it.
I dunno, I think EuchreJack's win was dumber than this one. This was more like a coordinated town farce where scum just had to let it happen, while in that one he actually shot the wrong two people and won by default.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2022, 04:45:48 pm »

Sorry Max for not believing you about Knightwing64.
I didn't (and still don't) see the grandstanding.

Sigh, I got a lot of work to do to get better at scumhunting.

Also, sorry for thinking you were scum, Jim.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2022, 04:51:49 pm »

Really? Winning by trying your best seems a bit less dumb than winning by accepting defeat.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2022, 04:54:21 pm »

Really? Winning by trying your best seems a bit less dumb than winning by accepting defeat.
I guess that's fair, but they won because ToonyMan didn't accept defeat, and changed off of Knightwing. :P

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2022, 06:25:41 pm »

No, that's not what I mean, I mean that you specifically said that Knightwing wasn't the king, in those words. For example, here:
I just do not believe that Knightwing is the King. [...] If anything, I think Knightwing accidentally spilled Town, but that's personal preference at this point.
It's not a matter of not caring, it's that you said he wasn't, and I want to know on what basis, because I could not see him as anything else.
Now, I didn't think Knightwing was scum because we had obvtown EuchreJack being attacked by three people for very silly reasons, of which did NOT contain Knightwing. EuchreJack is just an easily read player by me, and that, in itself, is a very identifiable pattern. That's how I work and have always worked, and I'm consistently right about it, even when I'm scum, if you can believe it.
I'm laying out the point right there, seems pretty cut and dry to me. Are you perhaps confused by something there?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2022, 08:07:50 am »

I knew Webadict would read me as scum so I tried to incriminate Jim as much as possible. It became apparent both were definitely Rebels so that worked out.

I was genuinely salty that Knightwing was my King and that Web had a double lynch ability so I went big and voted Knightwing when Max called out how clearly suspicious Knightwing was. It wasn't an act of self-defeat. I was still playing to win and my goal was to cause extreme confusion. Jack and Web both adamantly defending Knightwing was a bit of a miscalculation as it made them both look like Guards, which is fine, but meant Knightwing really was going to die due to the double lynch ability. Web was wise to not reveal the downside of their ability as I would have let Knightwing die with Jim otherwise.

At that point my goal had to be to get Jim and Web to kill each other. So I continued to connect Jim to myself while attacking Web. As long as I could convince Jim or Max that Web should die over Knightwing then we win. It didn't matter if Jack or Roden was the other Guard.

Max said earlier that I'm emotional as scum, but I think I'm just as emotional as town. I believe the difference is that I'm much more reserved and manipulative as scum, which Web has seen through countless times. He was exactly right that I was acting with a scum agenda in mind. The problem that occured here though is that he read my intentions straight and wanted to vote Jim over me. I was being homest when I said Webadict's logic was stubborn and arrogant because it denied anything Max (and a lesser extent, Jim) had to say.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2022, 09:06:20 am »

The issue I had is that there was unlikely to be enough activity to go after ToonyMan, in spite of all that. If Maximum Spin had shifted their vote to you, then I very much could've voted you, but I wasn't going to take the King risk at 2 votes, and Maximum Spin's hesitancy to switch votes to anyone only made him scummier to me (as well as saying that swapping votes makes people scummier, which is inherently not true from a statistical perspective [Town is far more often to switch votes than scum], but also from a logical perspective [The only reason scum would need to pursue additional targets is to look Town, and Town has incentive to change as more information is available, since they cannot remove threats otherwise.]) Mostly because I was banking on more people being available, but also because Jim was protecting ToonyMan, which made Jim a liability regardless. So, might as well go after the one I think is scum and could get in that time versus the one I know is scum but might not be able to get, especially if I'm gonna die anyway.

My logic is always stubborn and always arrogant, and even more so as Town, but I do change it when given other information. I was never going to vote for EuchreJack or Knightwing (definitely not EuchreJack at least), but I would've 100% voted for ToonyMan (or Maximum Spin), and I might've maybe been persuaded with enough evidence to vote for Roden if Jim or Maximum Spin had suggested it, but that'd probably involve them engaging in ways they didn't want to, since they were still treating me like I was a Traitor. I wasn't going to engage with logic explaining why someone was scum when I'm already using logic and intuition on why they aren't scum, which is why Euchre and Knight were off the table... unless you could remove all other possible suspects. Then, I'd have to reconsider Knightwing.

My scumhunting style works best when all players are active, and while executing every lurker is a great method, and would've worked in theory, using a lurker execution mentality in this game could've also lead to an instant loss. There was no way to actually test out lurkers, and using the ability before I knew there was lurkers to begin with only made it an extremely high-risk gambit without enough evidence backing it up at all. This is mostly why it was unfun to lose, since there wasn't anything being done on anyone's part except ToonyMan, who did play well, since he was absolutely incriminating Jim Groovester the entire time. To me, lurking is simultaneously the worst way to win and the worst way to lose because it requires the least amount of effort.

So, the point is, always execute every lurker, and go for the people that are the highest percentage of being scum otherwise. Lurkers deserve defenestration onto a pile of spikes coated in lemons.

If anyone wants to say I didn't play well, I can't stop you, but I disagree. I can't argue I didn't make mistakes, but literally every player made mistakes. The thing I strive for is for people to talk. A Town that doesn't talk is a Town that loses, so I will always strive for talk above all else. Active players are always a threat.

Does that help explain my mindset, Max?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2022, 11:48:05 am »

Rusty spikes coated in Lemon juice.

We really should have pushed on Knightwing64 and Roden more.
Lurking can't be tolerated.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2022, 01:58:00 pm »

as well as saying that swapping votes makes people scummier, which is inherently not true from a statistical perspective
I didn't say that... I very specifically complained about EuchreJack's voting in this particular game setup; don't try to draw any broader generalization from it.

I might've maybe been persuaded with enough evidence to vote for Roden if Jim or Maximum Spin had suggested it, but that'd probably involve them engaging in ways they didn't want to, since they were still treating me like I was a Traitor.
No, I didn't think you were a traitor, but I wasn't going to push Roden when Roden was my second target after Knightwing, until either Knightwing was out or other voters made it clear that Knightwing wasn't a viable target and Roden was. My push on Knightwing had adequate support until the very end of day when everything fell apart; before that, I wasn't even trying to convince you to vote for him, since you had the 2×lynch which meant it was better for you to vote for your own top choice. I guess I could have tried to convince you to vote Roden, but: first, my main motivation, given the risks, it seemed better that different people with different theories control each lynch, instead of betting it all on one theory being right; second, I wasn't really going to argue "this Roden just looks indescribably like scum Roden" after I was already arguing "this Knightwing just looks indescribably like scum Knightwing" because I don't expect to get that much credit all in one go; and third and maybe most importantly, I'm just not the kind of guy who usually tries to convince others to vote for someone for whom I'm not voting. I prefer to treat my vote as pretty serious.

My scumhunting style works best when all players are active, and while executing every lurker is a great method, and would've worked in theory, using a lurker execution mentality in this game could've also lead to an instant loss. There was no way to actually test out lurkers, and using the ability before I knew there was lurkers to begin with only made it an extremely high-risk gambit without enough evidence backing it up at all. This is mostly why it was unfun to lose, since there wasn't anything being done on anyone's part except ToonyMan, who did play well, since he was absolutely incriminating Jim Groovester the entire time. To me, lurking is simultaneously the worst way to win and the worst way to lose because it requires the least amount of effort.
The thing is, blaming the lurking is a little unavailing to me because, when Knightwing and Roden DID talk, they both looked scummy. I wasn't asking you to lynch Knightwing for being a lurker, I was asking you to lynch him for being his obvious scumself. Sure, I get that you didn't see it, somehow ToonyMan and I were the only ones to see it and ToonyMan had the benefit of already knowing; clearly, it's not as obvious to everyone, and I'm not currently arguing that it should have been – but making it all about the lurking is "missing something crucial".

I think it's worth pointing out again that I didn't assume you and/or Jack were mafia, and didn't even think it was very likely that either of you were.
If I didn't think he was town, would I keep trying to explain the Knightwing thing to him?
— and I was doing the same to you so it applies both times. I think you took what I said here too seriously —
Look, I'm trying to be modestly diffident about this but you are really making me feel like the scum team is just knightwing/Jack/webadict. If you're town and don't want to lose the game, you need to do better than to just say something that is obviously the opposite of reality.
— but you need to understand that, if I thought that was the most likely team, I wouldn't have said it, since I would not want to give you the opportunity to convince me otherwise. In this case I was explicitly giving you the opportunity to convince me otherwise.
So you keep talking about my thinking Jack or you were mafia, but this is just based on a mistaken assumption about what I thought. Committing to this mistaken assumption even after I tell you otherwise makes it impossible for us to communicate usefully.

Max said earlier that I'm emotional as scum, but I think I'm just as emotional as town.
It's a little more complicated than that. As scum, you believe you are more emotional as town than you actually are, or maybe just not quite in the same way. It leaves a mark. On the other hand, it's a mark that was missing in, say, the last game of the ticking Fallacy marathon, possibly because webadict was on your team so you weren't arguing with him; I remember thinking you seemed a little like your scumself in the first round, then doubting that after all that went on, so that I ended up trusting you by the end (which was obviously the wrong decision). So it's not something that's always there, but when you do start to get/act angry, there's something hard to describe that shows through.

And I have noticed, yes, that you usually seem to make honest statements about your views on the other players, then turn them to suit your evil purposes. I figured you were probably being sincere (on that level) about both Knightwing and webadict. Well, like I said at the time about the latter, I didn't trust your motives for saying it but you were right. :P

One last thing for the road.
I wasn't going to engage with logic explaining why someone was scum when I'm already using logic and intuition on why they aren't scum[...]My scumhunting style works best when all players are active[...]Does that help explain my mindset, Max?
Look, I get it. I was using intuition too, as always. I understand the value of it. The harsh truth of the problem is just this: I can't recall having ever seen your intuition, scumhunting style, or mindset actually win a game. Certainly not without making a lot of mistakes along the way (and usually specifically turning on me for some reason). That's not even that bad, everyone makes mistakes, but it seems to me that, every time you feel 100% convinced and unwilling to consider alternatives about the wrong thing, that should be a big deal that changes how you think about things going forward; but you seem content to say, oh well, I'm just a stubborn and arrogant guy, guess them's the breaks. At the end of the day I don't even care that much, I'm not your mom and you can play how you like – it's just staggering to me that you don't see this as a problem the way I would.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15