Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mechs March - Weitraum Republic (T3 Revision)  (Read 3276 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechs March - Weitraum Republic (T1 Revision)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 09:19:42 am »

I wrote a different H-Lamp fix that is a better stepping stone for a weaponised version next turn.
HOLW Stovium Cores:
H-Lamps are emitters of IR light. They are not entirely ineffective in this role, but they could certainly do better. 
Hot things radiate IR naturally. H-Lamps just... do so more. This is achieved through various complicated mechanisms, exotic materials, and dubious interpretations of standard physics. Now that we've proved the concept, it is refining time. Strip out unnecessary aspects, improve key aspects, and give the whole thing a patentable name. The liquid compound in a Stovium Core is an excellent conductor of heat, ensuring it can absorb heat from the Mech's cooling system rapidly, and an excellent converter of said heat into IR light. The IR-reflective container ensures the IR light is directed outwards. The updated Hitteontruimingslichtwerper is expected to perform significantly better.
It is theorised that further work with Stovium could see it transformed into a meta-stable version, that would absorb heat continually, but only produce IR light when properly stimulated. This is not something we have concerned ourselves with at the moment, however.

E: Actually, I'm not so sure about doing a stepping-stone revision, the more I think about it. While it would make a weaponised version easier, action economy is important- it might be better to let the design take the brunt of the work, rather than fix a heat sink we have no intention of using this turn anyway.
I have recycled my earlier sensor suite proposal (assuming MoP will allow it), as I feel that it is another boring-but-practical thing that all future mechs would benefit from.
WR.Verrekijker Sensor Suite & Targeting Aid (Revision):
When a Mech pilot is leaning forwards in their seats and squinting to try and make out a mech standing half a mile away, someone fucked up.

The Verrekijker (roughly pronounced Ferr-uh-kike-ur) Sensor Suite & Targeting Aid is a component that broadly aims to improve situational awareness and weapon accuracy. While obviously no Mech is built without sensors, there's always room for improvement, and putting in the work now will ensure our Mechs go into battle with better awareness than the enemy.
It features several cameras on multiple spectra (with varying degrees of magnification ability), as well as radar, microphones, wind/temperature/humidity gauges (useful to know how effective radiators will be), and a magnetometer (fancy compass, because we saw one at the electronic hardware store and said 'why not')(all hardened so as not to break at the slightest damage). The data produced is automatically filtered for relevance, so as not to overwhelm the pilot, although they can manually pull up sensor information if they choose. The pilot can also rewind footage, set specific parameters to filter for, and add special effects to make the video they show off later look cooler (sepiatone is a popular one).
Having identified a target, the Verrekijker also helps with actually hitting them, by adding targeting reticules with adjustments for expected trajectory, wind speed, projectile drop, and so on. The Verrekijker can't operate weapons independently, however- the pilot still needs to manually fire.

The Verrekijker does not take up a lot of space relative to the size of a mech- the hardened sensors are mounted externally, while the processing unit can generally be jammed into the torso somewhere.
(I removed the ability for the Verrekijker to Assume Direct Control over weapons, as I feel that would be too much for a revision)

E2: Powder suggested a laser upgrade might be better than sensors. Maybe, so here:
WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser:
Ah, who doesn't love tulips? Such vibrant colours! Similarly, who doesn't love lasers? Such vibrant colours, provided you are firing through a cloud of smoke!

The standard Small Laser is designed for use with the WO.Mk4 Fusion Engine, which as previously established was marred by the influence of Okinasu engineers. With our new, superior power source, we can afford to use... MORE POWER! The Tulpenbloei uses more power to produce a more intense beam that has improved range and damage output. Pretty self-explanatory. Heat production is also likely to be higher, but we can deal with that.

Quote from: Verkiezingsdoos
Dijkstijl Composite Armour: (1) NUKE9.13
WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:47:08 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2022, 10:50:58 am »

Staal-Titaan Composiet pantser
Having to work with those traditioned Okinasu was horrible, never any drive or vision, always repeating cost-benefit-cool analysis. We can make our mech faster by incorporating titanium into it's armor. Lighter than steel but just as strong. Sure it's more expensive, but that's why you use a combination, and getting a steady supply is the key! Both also have a number of advantages from each other that combined make it the perfect lightwiieght defense. Titanium can withstand higher and lower temperature differentials, making it useful in high-heat scenarios. It's high tensile strength is also a factor. Steel on the other hand has less give to it thanks to it's densities. Making use of both along with an insulating material like ceramic can create a far lighter armor which improves a mechs speed, while sacrificing none of the defense.

Quote from: Votebox
Geactiveerde-Hitteontruimingslichtwerper: (1) TricMagic
WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser: (2) TricMagic, NUKE9.13
Dijkstijl Composite Armour: (1) NUKE9.13

Much as armor is nice, rather spend a full design action on it.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 11:05:32 am »

I’m on board with an armor revision - I kind of think that more substantive work would be best on whatever new chassis we end up with when we can make one, for now. Think a full design would be a little wasted on the Hitman.

WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser: (3) TricMagic, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner
Dijkstijl Composite Armour: (2) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 11:16:04 am »

I’m on board with an armor revision - I kind of think that more substantive work would be best on whatever new chassis we end up with when we can make one, for now. Think a full design would be a little wasted on the Hitman.

WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser: (3) TricMagic, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner
Dijkstijl Composite Armour: (2) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner
Armor is a component though? The statement on wasting it on the hitman confuses me.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 11:22:38 am »

I think the hitman is so fucking garbo unless we build SERIOUS value on it that expensive (in terms of design space) armor protecting it would be a waste - we can afford to have some of them die in the long run because they’re cheap shitter mechs

instead I’d probably be building armor into the chassis of whatever we do next to at least a degree, fully depending on what role we want to do with it

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 11:30:25 am »

I think the hitman is so fucking garbo unless we build SERIOUS value on it that expensive (in terms of design space) armor protecting it would be a waste - we can afford to have some of them die in the long run because they’re cheap shitter mechs

instead I’d probably be building armor into the chassis of whatever we do next to at least a degree, fully depending on what role we want to do with it
Tric isn't suggesting putting armour on the Hitman, as far as I can tell. The question is whether an Armour component should be a design or a revision.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 11:38:03 am »

I am suggesting a revision-level armor makes more sense if we build armor into other chassises. That is what I am suggesting. I am suggesting putting the *revision* armor on the Hitman. It doesn’t need a lot of armor, but some is nice.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 11:51:04 am »

I would honestly rather drop the hitman entirely in favor of a different model.(if it was possible) As a design we can hopefully make very good armor for our actual mech. As is if we make this revised armor for the hitman, we'd still need to use a revision to requip it, which is honestly a waste. I'd rather have parts for a single good mech, hence the laser revision for exp and fixing the heat sinks.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 12:49:36 pm »

I reckon we won’t likely be dropping the Hitman for a while - we don’t have any choice in the matter, obviously, until we get our first Mech  credit, but even once we have another Mech we’ll probably be supplementing it with the Shitman for some time, so we don’t just have the one mech. We’ll be revising a Hitman2 sooner or later.

When it comes to the armor, though. I figure that I don’t necessarily want us to be stapling the same armor design onto every mech, but rather have each mech’s armor be customized into its design, since different mechs  may well have different needs.

More pressingly, I also agree with NUKE that any design we do for weaponized heat beams next turn will render obsolete any H-lamp revision, meaning that this also be a little bit of a waste of a revision. Worst case, if we do end up having to do a full design for armor in the near future, we get very advanced armor.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 05:47:21 pm »

HOLW Stovium Cores: (1) Happerry
WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser: (4) TricMagic, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, Happerry
Dijkstijl Composite Armour: (3) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, Happerry
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 03:19:48 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mechs March - Weitraum Republic (T2 Design)
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 10:38:25 pm »

Remember to check the core thread for the combat report after reading your revisions!

Proposal: WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser
Difficulty: Very Easy
Result: (5+1)+2=8, Average

Lasers aren't necessarily cutting-edge technology on account of not needing an edge to cut, and also being in production for various military assets for ages. The Tulpenbloei draws more power than the basic small laser. This greater power is also focused into a smaller beam, which has aided in extending the effective range of the beam's ability to hit its target as well as a bump to the damage it causes when it does so.

The Tulpenbloei are relatively fearsome small lasers, but they tend to generate heat at a rate you'd more expect from a larger sized energy weapon. If the heat issue can be mitigated, the WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser could prove to be quite the effective small energy weapon. There isn't a lot of complicated work going on inside these things, so parts and maintenance cost about the same as it would for a Small Laser, making the WR.Tulpenbloei Small Laser Cheap.

Proposal: Dijkstijl Composite Armour
Difficulty: Very Hard
Result: (6+6)-2=10, Superior

When you want to make a mech harder to kill, there are few easier solutions than better armor. Dijkstijl is a composite armor with four layers of material that should in fact make Republic Mechs harder to kill. The outermost layer is a ceramic scale that does not hold up too well against physical strikes, but is not compromised by them easily (thanks to the scaling) and does a lot of work to diffuse and mitigate the impact of directed energy weapons. Beyond this ceramic skin is sandwich of two steel plates with an intermediary layer of rapidly-expanding Ceramo-Resin. When the steel layer is penetrated the resin rapidly expands to fill the hole near-violently, but cools and hardens very quickly afterward. This expansion of resin is enough to reduce the impact of high explosive weaponry, and the released resin severely aids in keeping the interior if the mech uncompromised in undesirable or dangerous environments. The dried resin is brittle, so physical impacts will find it easier to break through than the armor before it, but the heat from energy weapons is absorbed and damage reduced to a great degree.

Dijkstijl Composite Armour is considered Cheap.

----

IT IS NOW THE DESIGN PHASE! You have two normal designs as well as one Mech Credit design.

Spoiler: Weapons/Components (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Chassis/Mechs (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechs March - Weitraum Republic (T2 Design)
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2022, 09:23:47 am »

"Warmteconvergentierondes" .50cal Machine Gun
The Warmteconvergentierondes make use of gathered heat into a plasma packet through the use of specialized gels within the bullets. Much like the old favorite of microwaving a grape, the large amounts of IF inserted into the bullets as they pass through the barrel creates a round capable of piercing through most physically-resistant armor, and causing plasmatic damage to internal components. The physical component of the bullets also helps to pierce armor specialized against energy attacks, though said armors do render it a 'normal' bullet, for all the .50 cal armor piercing tracer bullets can be considered such. The Warmteconvergentierondes has a fire rate of 160 bullets a minute, and the heat that builds in the barrel is also converted to more plasma packets. It is expected to be good against most armors, though overkill against anything that isn't a mech. Though it should be noted this gun cannot use the plasma packets if the mech is cool.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:46:39 am by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2022, 09:56:24 am »

DVL-1 "Duivel":
(Roughly pronounced Dow-ful)

The Duivel is a larger mech than the Hitman, though not by a huge margin. The torso (which has 80° rotation both ways) is slightly more torso shaped (not a cube), which in addition to looking better actually helps heat dispersion, since the surface area is increased, and the angled sides are slightly more resilient than flat surfaces. The head is still a fixed dome, but it has two protrusions on either side that look vaguely like horns (which contain improved sensor suites, giving the Duivel better situational awareness). It has two very simple arms- the articulation is limited, but it's better than no arms. The legs have received the most attention, reworked to give the Duivel greater speed and agility than the Hitman.
Power is provided by a Kaarsvlam Fusion Engine. Three Subpar Heat Sink Banks on the back (two on either side of the lower 'spine', and one between the 'shoulders') provided basic cooling. Like the Hitman, Jump Jets are integrated into the upper legs. Dijkstijl Composite Armour provides protection.
The Duivel has a Small mount on the end of either arm (by default mounting Tulpenbloei Small Lasers). The upper chest contains a (currently unused) Medium mount, suitable for a missile launcher. The lower chest contains another Small mount, similar to that of the Hitman (mounting a "Pinscher" 12.5mm Machine Gun).

The Duivel's envisioned role is using its high mobility to gain an advantageous position, fire, and then reposition before retaliated upon.
Mech.

WR.Specerijlijn Weaponised Heat Beam:
(Space-ur-I-line)
Hot things radiate IR naturally. H-Lamps just... do so more. This is achieved through various complicated mechanisms, exotic materials, and dubious interpretations of standard physics. Now that we've proved the concept, it is refining time. Strip out unnecessary aspects, improve key aspects, and give the whole thing a patentable name. The liquid compound in a Stovium Core is an excellent conductor of heat, ensuring it can absorb heat from the Mech's cooling system rapidly, and has a high heat capacity, allowing it to absorb a lot before it needs venting. Unlike the passive H-Lamps, however, Stovium will only convert the heat it holds into IR light when triggered to do so. The trigger in question is... IR light.
When the pilot activates the Specerijlijn, a small IR laser turns on, shining into the Stovium Core. This causes a cascading reaction, as the liquid struck by the IR rapidly converts its own heat into more IR, which activates more liquid, and so on (until the temperature drops below the level where Stovium can generate IR). At this point, however, the IR light is all over the place, not directed. To rectify this, the walls of the Stovium Core are IR-reflective, with the only exception the lens at the front of the Core, which focuses the IR light into a reasonably tight beam. The beam does not have a very long range- the IR quickly loses potency as it is scattered by the atmosphere. At close range, targets may receive most of the dumped heat, but this drops off to the point where at 'short' range it is ~25%, and becomes essentially harmless beyond that.
For rival Mechs, the Specerijlijn is only likely to be destructive if they are already running hot. Conventional vehicles may suffer damage (or at least cooked crew) if the beam is focused on them for a few seconds (depending on range). Infantry are unlikely to be killed at all except the closest range, but may suffer burns, heatstroke, or extreme discomfort.
Regardless of the damage it causes, the Specerijlijn will always function as a heat sink. If there are no targets around when the 'reservoir' is full, a pilot can simply fire it at nothing.
Heat beam.

WR.Vliegenmepper MRLS:
Common or garden guided rockets are a simple but effective way of getting an explosive payload on top of enemy forces. The Vliegenmepper is a mech-compatible medium-sized launch system containing a bunch of small guided rockets. The rockets are capable of basic tracking and manoeuvring, allowing for fire-and-forget usage against enemy aircraft, vehicles, and mechs alike. Against conventional targets, the payload should be sufficient to put all but the most heavily armoured vehicles out of commission for good, whilst rival mechs will at least not be able to simply shrug it off.
Missiles.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 10:48:12 am by NUKE9.13 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2022, 10:07:06 am »

Quote from: NUKE.box
Mech
DVL-1 "Duivel": (1) TricMagic

Designs
"Specerijlijn" Weaponised Heat Beam: (1) TricMagic
WR.Vliegenmepper MRLS: (1) TricMagic

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2022, 11:30:41 am »

Quote from: NUKE.box
Mech
DVL-1 "Duivel": (2) TricMagic, NUKE9.13

Designs
WR.Specerijlijn Weaponised Heat Beam: (2) TricMagic, NUKE9.13
WR.Vliegenmepper MRLS: (2) TricMagic, NUKE9.13
MoP asked us to get moving, hence votes, but I'm not 100% locked in . So, if there are alternative suggestions, I'll definitely consider them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4