Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Easy Premium update: rename Animal Men to Animal People  (Read 2674 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Premium update: rename Animal Men to Animal People
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 08:06:22 pm »

"-kind" and "-kin" are also options and naturally work as both singular and plural without the awkwardness of person/people or ?/folk.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 11:33:18 am »

"-kind" and "-kin" are also options and naturally work as both singular and plural without the awkwardness of person/people or ?/folk.
Note that otherkin are a thing on the internet. Might make cheetahkin funny for some.

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 06:12:58 pm »

Note that otherkin are a thing on the internet. Might make cheetahkin funny for some.

Yeah, I think that of the two, "kind" would probably be best.  Overall, though, i think it may be best to determine it on a case-by-case basis based upon what sounds nice, so long as such a scheme doesn't lead to confusion.

How do i use sigtext properly?

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2022, 01:51:31 pm »

Its a good suggestion, its likely a “relic of the past” so to speak, from when the game was simpler. +1 for this idea

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2022, 10:31:50 pm »

I'm also a fan of Folk as an alternative to People, but what's the singular of folk? Still person?

Folk is the singular, both folk and folks work as plural

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2022, 11:53:11 pm »

Except folk is a collective noun, so the singular would refer to a single collective rather than an individual member of a collective. (Which now that I think of it, is also technically true of -kind.)

But I've just realized that plurality doesn't matter, since the only thing that would change is the [CREATURE:<some animal>_MAN] tag in the raws, which is defining the collective within which individuals are generated.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2022, 06:27:44 am »

Except folk is a collective noun, so the singular would refer to a single collective rather than an individual member of a collective.

Oh wait true I didn't think of that lol

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2022, 07:47:48 am »

Its also in that 'people' lends them to a wider range of interpretation which can subvert what people expect.

Are the crocodile men as they are now? Or are they some sort of crouched-more animal than person monsters like semi-intelligent trolls / full-  tail-less humans with scaly skin and crocodile eyes amongst other minor features /or just some sort of idigenous group just associated to worshipping crocodiles so clothe like and rear as many of them as possible.

Its definitely a slider option in the definition of how 'people-like' the animal people are id like to see explored.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2022, 02:33:46 pm »

Its also in that 'people' lends them to a wider range of interpretation which can subvert what people expect.

Are the crocodile men as they are now? Or are they some sort of crouched-more animal than person monsters like semi-intelligent trolls / full-  tail-less humans with scaly skin and crocodile eyes amongst other minor features /or just some sort of idigenous group just associated to worshipping crocodiles so clothe like and rear as many of them as possible.

Its definitely a slider option in the definition of how 'people-like' the animal people are id like to see explored.

I tend to disagree that the name change would lend itself to a broader scope of interpretations. If I heard an NPC talk about ”bear men”, and didn’t know the DF context, I’d be as likely to think they were some bear-worshipping guys out in the woods as if said NPC called them ”bear people”. I’m not a native English speaker though, so maybe that affects it.

+1 to more varied animal people though.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2022, 03:11:21 pm »

I tend to disagree that the name change would lend itself to a broader scope of interpretations. If I heard an NPC talk about ”bear men”, and didn’t know the DF context, I’d be as likely to think they were some bear-worshipping guys out in the woods as if said NPC called them ”bear people”. I’m not a native English speaker though, so maybe that affects it.

IMO "bear people" does sound slightly more like it could potentially be bear-worshippers than "bear men", but not by much. In a fantasy game like DF I think "bear people" is perfectly clear; the only issue with it compared to other options, is how clunky it is to say out loud.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2022, 02:23:09 pm »

I don't really find "people" to be any clunkier sounding than "men" personally, but maybe that's just me.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2022, 07:56:29 pm »

Personally I think using "people" sounds better. Not because I care about the whole gender thing, but because when I read "Bat Men" I just think of Batman lol so Bat People sounds more like people who are part-bat for me than bat men (which sound like a super hero group :P) Although I would be perfectly fine with it staying as is, it's funny lol So either way I'm fine with whatever Toady decides.
Pages: 1 [2]