Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Morphing only heals the physical scars - Roll to Animorph: The Game  (Read 13907 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

In retrospect, it was probably a bad idea to take the shortcut through the construction site. Who could have foreseen the exact circumstances that you would come to regret, though? Flashing lights in the sky became an actual UFO - a real alien spacecraft! - from which emerged a dying alien warrior. Knowing his time was drawing near, he made the desperate decision to entrust you, and the others beside you (who you may or may not already know), with the knowledge that the Yeerks are here. A race of brain-hijacking slugs, reading memories and personalities to blend into their host's previous lives indistinguishably, they've already conquered the Gedds, the Hork-Bajir and the Taxxons, and a single member of this alien's own race, the Andalites. And they're well on their way to enslaving the Human planet of Earth, next. The only giveaway hinting at a Controller's identity is that they must return to their pool every three days to feed, separating from their hosts.
Even more desperate, the decision to grant you and the others a weapon to fight back. Not a shredder gun but a unique technology of the Andalites, one which the Yeerks have not yet managed to reverse-engineer. You'll never forget the strange tingling you experienced as the blue cube granted you the power to transform into any animal you touch with but a thought. Morph into any animal and fight back against the invaders with its abilities, but resume your original form within two hours, or you will be locked into that shape forever. This is the only weapon the dying Elfangor can grant you against an enemy that could be anybody, anywhere, at any time. This, and the fact that the Yeerks do not know yet that anybody on Earth knows of their infiltration.
They're here. Another alien craft, insectoid, then another, and finally one shaped like an ancient battle-axe, have landed. A motley mix of humans, saurian Hork-Bajir and centipede-like Taxxons file out of the bug fighters, surrounding their enemy's ship. The Andalite who finally emerges from the blade ship, you remember Elfangor telling you, is no true Andalite any more, but rather the only Andalite-controller in existence, leader of the invasion of Earth, Visser Three. Hiding just out of sight, you watch as Visser Three morphs into a massive alien creature which devours your wounded benefactor alive, destroying the last survivor of a space battle the Andalites had attempted to wage against the Yeerks' orbiting mother ship. As the hideous laughter of the collected controllers dies down, a silence settles uncomfortably over the construction site, broken only by the crunching of raptor-like Hork-Bajir feet and clattering of pointy Taxxon legs on gravel as they sweep the area. They are sure to find your group, and soon, if you stay hidden where you are. Echoing in your heads, in a voice that originated in your heads to begin with, Elfangor's final instruction: <Run!>

Signups:
Name:
Background:
Description:
Trait: (+1 and removes overshoot penalties for certain rolls. Choose from Natural Leader, Born Warrior, Ruthless Strategist, Morph Dancer, Aerial Ace or Tech Savvy. You may pick up more traits over time, positive or negative, if you survive.)

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Folks (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 01:22:54 am by Remalle »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Morphing only heals the physical scars - Roll to Animorph (0/?)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 05:19:40 pm »

Name: Tobias Chris Jackson

Background: A popular jock kid, Chris has serious anger issues he channels into football and boxing. Often makes bad decisions due to being bullheaded and stubborn. Has a strong hatred for the name Crayak.

Description: Generic popular jock, blond hair albeit with uncommon red eyes and very muscular.

Trait: Born Warrior

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 04:35:59 am »

In, sheet after I get off work

Edit: I'm having difficulty thinking of a character.  My friend suggested I play Isabella, the Panzer IV tank my character captured in Piecewise's WWII game.  Can I play as a teenager who also happens to be a Panzer IV tank, by any chance?

Edit2: Fine, Egan's recycling a PS character, I will too.

Name: Isabella Lori
Background: Isabella is sixteen, and the only child of a wealthy diplomat, who is currently abroad with his wife until the end of the year.  She was left home at her request, ostensibly so her school schedule wouldn't be interrupted--but really because she dislikes traveling, especially after a particularly bad experience from the last time her father took her abroad.  This has left her largely unsupervised (although her worrywart mother still calls her several times a week just to ask how she's doing), which she hopes will let her actually make and maintain lasting friendships.  She lives with two dogs named Ko and Alyona, and a three-legged cat named Tripod, all rescues.
Description:  Isabella is tall and tends to wear very formal clothes, mimicking her professionally-minded parents.  She keeps her sandy blonde hair in a ponytail, and tends to look serious... though internally she's rather anxious, especially around people her own age.  She tends to act more mature than one would expect of a sixteen year old, but again it's a behavior born from mimicking her parents rather than anything natural; Isabella doesn't really know what acting natural even is.  Despite her family's wealth, she wears little adornment, aside from a fancy medallion with a sparkling blue sapphire set into it--a gift from her father, bought for her while abroad a couple years ago.

Trait: Morph Dancer

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:23:17 am »

*Tosses old character into the recycler*
Animorphs are basically magical girls anyway, don't at me.

Also it's Animorphs let's goooooooooooooooo

Name: Sophia Astos
Background: Sophia was born as slave, never knew her parents, and has seen the deaths of other kids she considered family. When she saw a chance to escape on her own, she took it. Having had a hard life, she sees no problem with focusing on killing as many evil brainslugs as possible.
Description: A fairly destitute-looking homeless 15 year old, though she doesn't seem unhappy about her situation, just happy to be free. Distrustful of others and swift to violence, though not un-altruistic. Rust-red hair and eyes. Also, illiterate and uneducated as you might expect.
Trait: Ruthless Strategist

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 10:38:09 am »

PTW and maybe make a character after I'm off work
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 12:15:45 pm »

Oh, for streamlining, an initial action would be good (you're all in)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 01:22:52 pm »

Retreat, but think of a way to draw out just one of the enemy such that it may be Acquired. And then either executed or trapped for three days.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 08:22:46 am »

Name: Henrik Gregorio

Background: Henrik has always loved to take things apart and see how they work. His family liked to call him a genius - he'd take apart anything. Math equations, the themes of a book, how a computer program works. The occasional animal. He's not a bad person, exactly. He doesn't seem to understand that there's a difference between a living thing and a complicated machine. In his view, there isn't one.

Description: Light blue eyes, messy blonde hair with a dyed blue streak, just under 5'10" (178 cm). He tends to dress in fairly plain or functional clothes, almost always in some shade of gray or blue. He never seems to take off these little reading spectacles, no matter where he goes.
Trait: Tech Savvy

((Going to assume I'm in until told otherwise to save time. Let me know if there's a problem :)

Also my memory is foggy but I think we can morph into things we've touched before gaining the ability, so I'm going to work off that assumption))

Morph into a bird if I can, then a cat if not. Flee as inconspicuously as possible - avoid anything that sounds like it could be a Yeerk. I do not want to touch whatever is going on with them right now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 10:07:56 am by chaotic skies »
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 02:57:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

turn into mole.  find dirt.  dig as deep down as possible. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 03:30:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

turn into mole.  find dirt.  dig as deep down as possible. 

You need to find a mole first, but I suppose the roll could be for finding the mole too.

RUN! But also remember the face of your new enemy’s, so that you may burn it into your mind and never forget. The Yeerk… what a despicable species.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 03:38:35 pm »

((This looks kinda neat. Is there still room? If yes, do I need to know anything about this setting beyond what's mentioned in the intro blurb?))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 07:20:17 pm »

Nah, think it's pretty comprehensive. At least where it comes to stuff we're supposed to already know and is important.
Worth noting that as far as I recall, the ability doesn't only extend to non sapient animals, we can acquire forms from sapients as well. Getting an early Hork-Bajir or Taxxon could be helpful.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 08:14:23 pm »

The taxxons would be a bad idea. You acquire the forms instincts when you transform into it, at least the first few times and the taxxons… have a bit of a hunger problem. As in, they eat their own injuried body parts and a unceasing urge to consume meat.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 09:05:16 pm »

((This looks kinda neat. Is there still room? If yes, do I need to know anything about this setting beyond what's mentioned in the intro blurb?))
I guess it also bears noting, the original series took place in the "modern world" of the late '90s. While I was technically around at that time, I'm not confident in my ability to accurately emulate that time period, so just gonna bump the setting up a bit to the current modern world. We'll see how well the Yeerks can deal with humanity's newfound smart phone capabilities.
Gonna try and get Turn One up in just a little bit.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 11:43:52 pm »

Isabella action: Get the fuck out of there.  Tag along with Sophia if reasonable, but don't stick around if she does.  Insist that the aliens have fucking laser guns, and were probably prepared to fight trained andalite soldiers, so we should REALLY just be fleeing.  :<
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8