Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH (Only War Greenskins Campaign OOC)  (Read 10778 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Children of the Imperium, once again vile xenos are assaulting our beloved homeland. In the dense juggles of a primitive but loyal planet several asteroids full of vile greenskin have "landed" and begun to expand towards civilization. While the local PDF has dug in deep and fought valiantly to hold off the horrid invaders they are being overrun even as we speak. Fortunately a regiment of Imperial Guard is making landfall. Soon this planet will be wiped clean of xeno filth.

Long live the Emperor! Long live the Imperium!

What is Only War?

Only War is one of the Dark Heresy spinoffs. Set in the 40K universe, Only War is about an Imperial Guard squad made up of their players and their stalwart NPC allies called Comrades. It comes with a big intimidating book, but the rules are mostly simple. You roll D100, add all the bonuses and penalties to what you're doing, and if you roll under you succeed. If you roll under more you succeed more.

As the name suggests Only War focuses mostly around fighting the enemies of the Imperium. Some of the other spinoffs have exploration, investigation, and other such adventures...but here you mostly shoot bad guys.

Wait, so we're not playing as the Greenskins?

All the spinnoffs are pretty human focused. You can play as an Ogryn who acts like an ork if you really want to. You could play an entire squad of Ogryn who act like orks if you al want to. But we're mostly shooting at orks instead of playing as them.

What is this planet we're fighting on?

A Civilized World known as "Olia Viridi". A green jungle planet covered in jungle with a number of cities and towns cut into the foliage. The world is around WW-1/2 in technology, relying on trench warfare and stub guns to slow the orks until you show up. Major cities have Imperial quality shielding and anti-starship cannons, but they are unable to reproduce the technology in any way. Most transportation is done via grox or railway.

Currently around a third is under Ork control.

So how do we make a character?

Before we make a character, the players have to decide on a Regiment. Regiments are what group of Imperial Guard you are, such as the Death Korps of Krieg, the Catachan Jungle fighters, the Cadian Drop Troops, player made regiments, or more. Non-core books, including mixed regiments, are valid options.

Since a character from Krieg will be completely different than a character from a drugged-up Penal Legion, it is important to figure this out before we start actual character creation.

Regiment decision will be SG like. Players will make a suggestion then votebox on it. If you want more details on the rules ask me by PM.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH (Only War Greenskins Campaign OOC)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 07:31:02 pm »

A regiment of Kommandoz pretending to be umies until the right moment to strike.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 07:39:51 pm »

A regiment of Kommandoz pretending to be umies until the right moment to strike.
I would prefer that they are completely sincere about it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 07:51:18 pm »

..Do I dare?

Something bland.  Ordinary.  The bog-standard mundane Guard experience.  Generic, perhaps.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 08:00:38 pm »

1. A patched-together array of Guardsmen from shattered regiments, brought together by the Lamenters. For those we cherish - for the men and women of the Imperium - we shall die in glory.
2. The Valhallan 597th. That’s right, we fight for Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! Fight smart, everybody!
3. A small corp of Guardsmen who have previously fought alongside and learned from the Raptors. There’s not many of us, but there’s a lot of PDF. If we can pass on the lessons we were taught, then maybe we can see this through.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 10:06:04 pm »

Hmm okay, I'm interested! Here are some ideas. . .

1.Artillery Regiment
We bring the big guns. Players could perhaps be spotting teams, or the poor guys holding back on the onrushing horde while the cannons fire.

2. Siege Infantry
Fat with fresh recruits, we are sent into bloody grinders to hold enemies in place while the valuable soldiers get into position.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 10:34:49 pm »

Just to clarify for everyone, Only War is a book-written RPG like DND. We'll be using it with whatever modifications we need to (ex making everyone Orks). Everyone will eventually make a sheet using this game's rules.

Hmm okay, I'm interested! Here are some ideas. . .

1.Artillery Regiment
We bring the big guns. Players could perhaps be spotting teams, or the poor guys holding back on the onrushing horde while the cannons fire.

2. Siege Infantry
Fat with fresh recruits, we are sent into bloody grinders to hold enemies in place while the valuable soldiers get into position.

The stated regiments in the book are :
Armored
Reconnaissance
Drop
Hunter-Killer
Light Infantry
Line Infantry
Mechanized Infantry
Siege Infantry
Artillery
Guerilla
Grenadiers
Heavy Reconnaissance
Rough Riders

So both are valid options!

Regiment creation works like character creation, but there are pre-stated popular regiments (Vahallan Ice Warriors are one more example that I'd probably modify if the Valhallan 597th won, for example). I'm fully capable of stating up the Regiment myself from whatever wins, but for whoever is interested here are the components of Regiment creation. Note that prebuilt regiments tend to get special abilities.

Regiments have 12 points to spend on traits.

Homeworld
Commanding Officer (Personality cost points)
Regiment Type (The list I posted above)
Training Doctrine (Basically Regiment Traits)
Special Equipment Doctrine (Fancy gear)
Equipment
Name/History
Drawbacks (Give you points back)

If anyone wants to make a regiment using these (or take a peak at the prebuilts) they can ask for details via PM.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 10:43:47 pm »

I think I’m more inclined toward Guerrilla or one of the two Recon types. I like my stealth and sniping.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 10:55:20 pm »

I think I’m more inclined toward Guerrilla or one of the two Recon types. I like my stealth and sniping.

I'll also note there are class-equivalents when we actually make your character.

It would be entirely possible to play a sniper in a Siege Infantry regiment, for example.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 11:03:27 pm »

Fair enough.

Anyway, an idea that has come up on Discord:
We are all the aforementioned deep-cover Kommandoz.
Our commissar is an Eldar trying desperately to recover their plan to manipulate the Guard into fulfilling their plans.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 11:09:45 pm »

Fair enough.

Anyway, an idea that has come up on Discord:
We are all the aforementioned deep-cover Kommandoz.
Our commissar is an Eldar trying desperately to recover their plan to manipulate the Guard into fulfilling their plans.
I oppose this heresy :p
I think I would go for a more traditional Imperial Guard regiment. Just some men and women given a lasgun and a hearty slap on the back. ( I would probably vote Recon over Guerilla though)

But also Hunter-Killers sound cool so they would have a vote from me.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 11:13:25 pm »

I do still think it would be cool to be a regiment that had been under the Raptors' command at some point in the past. Because that's literally a canon thing the Raptors do and have done, and as they're the marines who actually know how to military properly, that would presumably be passed down to guard regiments that have worked with them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 11:15:12 pm »

I could get behind Mechanized, as I believe that'd be pretty much straight-laced combined arms stuff. Would be good as Generians~

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2022, 11:18:35 pm »

Actually, is there anything for an Admech-backed Guard group?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2022, 11:26:37 pm »

I could get behind Mechanized, as I believe that'd be pretty much straight-laced combined arms stuff. Would be good as Generians~

Your squad gets a free Chimera. It has a bunch of weapons and firing ports so everyone gets a turn shooting out of it and is basically immune to small arms fire.

Actually, is there anything for an Admech-backed Guard group?

That is more of a Homeworld thing. Forge world regiments get friendly with the Admech by default.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17