Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down  (Read 54813 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Oh jeez, Quicktopic is shutting down
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2021, 11:55:21 pm »

I thought MafiaScum counted as that? The forum architecture was at one point rewritten so it could have its own native private topics without relying on a third-party website that might one day shut down. I wish bay12 had something like that, but there isn't a wide enough market for it.

You know, you can effectively do that with private messages if you tinker with your settings a little bit.
Profile > Direct Messaging
Display personal messages: as a conversation
Save a copy of each personal message in my sent items by default: on

This way when you reply to someone else's message, it'll appear as a thread. CC multiple people and you pretty much have a private thread. Main issue is getting people to change their settings.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2022, 08:21:54 pm »

I've decided to post my archive. The reason why it took so long earlier was because I wanted to present in a format that would be easily readable by any newbies who may come along (as well as the people who might have been interested in substituting the links with a quick-topic bot. I was even planning on making a new thread for it.

Unfortunately, I'm taking summer school this year and I've only got two days before classes start. Due to the Ukrainian war, my Aunt and her son ended up moving into my apartment and that kid takes up way more of my time than he reasonably should. Additionally, I'm supposed to be spending what little vacation time I do have doing job search cause someone's got to pay for the extra mouths we have to feed, but since the job search process is an incredibly dehumanizing thing that sucks the life out of you every time you write a resume (and you have to send out 100 of them if you even want a chance to obtain a minimum wage job flipping burgers at McDonalds  >:(), I've instead been procrastinating and doing nothing of value instead.

So I decided fuck it! If I end up killing myself (not today at least), I want to make sure that the efforts we spent last Christmas didn't go in vain. I'm posting this as is, without making any edits so I apologize if its painful to navigate.

Spoiler: Page 33 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 32 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 31 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: page 30 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: page 29 (click to show/hide)

I have reached the character limit. I will post more pages as double posts. The page numbers are what they were at the time of archival. They certainly do not reflect what the forum currently looks like, but everything should still be there.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2022, 08:29:34 pm »

As promised, more pages.
Spoiler: Page 28 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 27 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 26 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 25 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 24 (click to show/hide)

Character limit reached again. There's a chance that automated forum software might block me for spamming a thread.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2022, 08:37:21 pm »

Have some more.
Spoiler: Page 23 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 22 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 21 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 20 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 19 (click to show/hide)

Character limit.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2022, 08:45:30 pm »

Spoiler: Page 18 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 17 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 16 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 15 (click to show/hide)

Limit reached a bit earlier. There were a lot of chats on this page

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2022, 08:58:48 pm »

Spoiler: Page 14 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 13 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Page 12 (click to show/hide)
No Page 11 in my Personal archive, I believe it was posted publicly on this thread

Char limit reached again.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2022, 09:16:43 pm »

Spoiler: Page 10 (click to show/hide)

Below are a few Miscellaneous archives I had lying around my PC. Some of them have missing fields so it may take a little effort to figure out where they belong, but it should not be an impossible task.

Spoiler: A few bonus files (click to show/hide)

Anyway, that's all of the archive that I had on my PC. Like I said at the beginning, I didn't edit any of this to facilitate consumption so it'll be a pain in the ass to look through. The biggest thing I wanted to do was edit my notes because some of them have an unprofessional tone. Writing them wasn't strictly necessary, but having the ability to waste a little time to comment on the games I was preserving was a vital component to maintaining my sanity throughout this process.

I'm hoping Skynet an Tolyk will be able to find the time to post their own archives. It's important to have this information out here somewhere, even if it is unpolished, in case any of us gets hit by a bus.

This is not a long term solution though. This thing is barely searchable (You can do it by opening all the spoilers and using ctrl-f), the formatting is ass, it's filled with useless filler, and most importantly of all, key bits of info such as recovered missing chats are not present where they should be. I think the biggest reason to keep an archive, is so that new prospective players can look at our past games and fully experience their original glory. A new player is likely not going to be motivated to search through this to find the archived QT link to a game they finished reading.

This stuff should at least be placed in a pinned topic with an eye-catching title.

I will eventually return to this and do the stuff I set out to-do, but at least by posting this here, there's chance someone may be able to continue this work if I get hit by a bus.

I'm thankful to all of you for making Bay12 mafia the place it is. I know it wasn't right to hold onto these for so long, but I hope that by posting these, some of you will be relieved to know that your work isn't lost forever.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 09:21:14 pm by heydude6 »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2022, 08:43:12 am »

Thanks for posting these! I am not dead & still have the files. I can't believe I forgot to share them, though! I thought I did.

Here are the links to Google Drive for the following:

The entire Mafia subforum's posts in 1 JSON file, as of 2022-12-11

The scraped HTML code for all (available) QuickTopics that were linked in the subforum

The QuickTopic HTML file names are MD5 hashes of the QuickTopic URL, and additionally each HTML file contains a comment that mentions the canonical QuickTopic URL that it was scraped from.
This should be enough to map all possible links from the Mafia subforum to these QuickTopic pages.

I had wanted to make a "viewer" for these, but my like kinda fell apart the past few months so that's been put back indefinitely. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2022, 12:55:58 am »

So how is the archiving of Discord games going?
I'd like to clear out some servers, but wanted to make sure their contents were "saved" first.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2022, 08:01:55 am »

Have not started yet. I have found a script that allows you to scrape the chatlogs from a server, but I got  a security warning from discord itself when I tried to use it, so I’d rather create a throwaway account and use it with that instead.

Originally, I was only planning on focusing on discord archival once this current archive was complete. By, that I mean published in a readable format. If there is an urgency in the matter that I was not aware of, then I can move it up the priorities list. It should probably be quicker for me to figure out a method of discord archival than it would be to polish the previous archive.

I have this weekend free, I’ll look into it. Delay the server clearing till after Victoria Day if you can

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2022, 08:08:12 am »

I can delay server clearing for a while I think (I'm nowhere near the 100 max servers), but I just wanted to make sure it was "in the queue" so to speak.

Thanks for the update!  I appreciate your hard work on this.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]