Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]

Author Topic: Jade Court - Game Over - All's Well That Ends Well  (Read 30019 times)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jade Court - Game Over - All's Well That Ends Well
« Reply #555 on: May 20, 2022, 05:49:04 am »

Yeah, I feel like if Egan didn’t go MIA at the start we would have had a chance but overall good game, toony totally carried but I like to think that I was some help

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 20, 2022, 06:37:05 am »

Yeah, I feel like if Egan didn’t go MIA at the start we would have had a chance but overall good game, toony totally carried but I like to think that I was some help
Toony pushing you on Day 2 forced my hand a little bit, which is why I had to reveal my fakeclaim, as that would have been revealed by just a little bit of sleuthing and destroyed my credibility harder than me self-revealing. I had to move from my main choice of reina/Roden to a bit of a trust hail mary with Max|hector/Jim. Toony worked with the pieces he had, and he was actually a lot closer to winning than it might have appeared.

Never take your own role in the team lightly, because the powerwolf does a lot of the heavy lifting, but the other wolves can pick off stragglers and break a Towncore. Look at how close NQT (and Jim?) was to being on your side. Max was townreading Egan. That could've fucked me if Egan was playing and Max decided on Egan in spite of me, which, you know, I could imagine Max doing! Euchre and Roden I could read, but... I need them to read me, too. I think you can use your own power against people by blindly following someone. If you had picked me to blindly follow, that could've meant Euchre and Roden might not trust me, and ruined my ability to do what I needed to do, since I would look scummier by association. That's probably how I would recommend you play, since you seem more happy-go-lucky, and could easily explain that as Town, too. You could've done that to Jim too and gotten two at once! (Basically, pick someone and pretend they are your powerwolf/ves in game. Even if you look scummy doing it, they will also look scummy.)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 20, 2022, 07:28:51 am »

I was hoping being partners with KW again would create a blindspot of the same scumteam. Gambler's Fallacy be damned.

@Egan:
I can feel pressured too, especially when people don't believe me. I think you voting Jim on D1 was super good, and you could have done the same thing to other townies on D2 to hurt their credibility. I know it's kind of a weird setup but it's a perfect testing ground as scum because town can't kill you.

@Jack:
I don't know how to link the scumchat.

https://discord.gg/eDYXycXcTK

This?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 07:36:06 am by ToonyMan »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 20, 2022, 08:01:24 am »

Scum chats!
Yay!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 20, 2022, 08:06:20 am »

@Scumteam: Your abilities don't do anything if you don't use them!

I think Knightwings's ability, being a private one, could have been used to scare the crap out of town.

Toony is probably correct in that his ability would have outed him, so it would probably have been best used as a "surprise". 
Alternatively, he could have full-claimed day 1 and argued he was a Town power role.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 20, 2022, 08:13:57 am »

I don't know why KW didn't purple people. I gave suggestions. There was no downside to do so.

Revealing my voting power role would have put me in the same group as Jack and Max. I felt that would ruin my nomination chances. Revealing a voting PR early worked so well for me last time I did it...which coincidentally you were a double voter I think and it just made me suspicious. That's why I decided to just be vanilla. Being vanilla gets you nominated. Having a voting power role does not.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 20, 2022, 08:37:03 am »

I had deducted that mafia probably had a Third vote manipulation ability.  So your time to declare was over when Max & I both declared.

Hence, you should have declared Day 1. Use your Elite Attorney avatar to argue you were an advocate charged with finding the onyx.  I think you could have sold it.

...also, I have now read your truthful assessment of my ISO.  :'(
Eh, I'm sure the next one will be better!
(the first hundred always suck)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 20, 2022, 08:55:28 am »

No, claiming D1 would have likely caused problems down the line I predicted. For example, like you just said we'd have 3 vote manipulation claims which I didn't want to deal with.

I was being truthful about your ISO in thread. I was just being tactless in private.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:57:41 am by ToonyMan »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 20, 2022, 09:02:24 am »

Lol, I didn't realize vote colors mattered! That was silly of me to assume, I just used green because blue wasn't available.

Also, the vote color thing would be noticable because I use Mamobo to generate votes, and I manually set the color checking for that, so... Probably would've looked scummy. I think it should've been hidden like Max's was.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 20, 2022, 11:35:13 am »

because you convinced Max you weren't scum, which isn't an easy feat.
Max was townreading Egan. That could've fucked me if Egan was playing and Max decided on Egan in spite of me, which, you know, I could imagine Max doing!
Well...
Uh, I've got to level with you, I was null on Egan, I just made that post to fish you and Toony. I didn't exactly scumread him, but nominating him definitely wasn't going to happen. I had even made the "Bluarian luck" joke in my head a couple hours before that post at a time when I did scumread him, and the only reason I stopped is because he didn't fit with you and Toony together. I'm not trying to say "ha ha I knew all along" because obviously it was not where I was looking when I should've been; it's more that, like I said when I voted for Jim, I was deeply conflicted about almost everyone and, for all intents and purposes, just made up almost all my reads this game. That's why they were so all over the place in some cases, like when I went back and forth on knightwing... other than a strong suspicion on ToonyMan that I am willing to take credit for, I had no firm idea what was going on. In the end, just like I implied, I picked Jim by counting off everyone I wasn't sure about, and he was the only one left.

So, I'm not convinced that I played that well this game, except in those last moments of deciding to focus on voting for town instead of worrying about finding scum, which I guess did turn out to be the right thing to do. I'll take the credit for that too, but you (webadict) probably did better overall, especially by taking the lesson about Knightwing to heart when I totally failed to. (There's a reason I was so noncommittal about reading him every time someone asked, and moved my opinion back and forth like that: it seemed like - I didn't not SEE it - he was behaving almost exactly like scum knightwing from last time, yet somehow I just couldn't convince myself about it intuitively. Since I had been going on so much about following my gut, then, I decided not to let my rational observation that he seemed basically the same take precedence, when it obviously should have. Maybe I used up all my knightwing-reading ability last time. Or webadict stole it. Or, more likely, during the period when I was really bored and didn't have my head in the game, I let myself choose some of my reads more based on contrarianism than real consideration, then didn't take the time to reconsider them. I'm sorry about that. My only defense is to say that at least I wasn't sure.)

I was hoping being partners with KW again would create a blindspot of the same scumteam. Gambler's Fallacy be damned.
For me it did a little bit, not in that I thought you couldn't be in the same team again by chance, but because I figured you'd be angrier if you had to carry the whole team a second time in a row. :P Your apparent breeziness made me think you must have a strong partner, which led me to accusing webadict.

One more thing: I should have townread Roden more strongly, clearly. Roden is kind of an exception to what I said before in that I never actually thought he was scum at all, but for some reason I have a really hard time convincing myself that I'm reading him right. It's the same thing that ultimately tripped me up in the last Fallacy Clockwork Marathon Hell game. I remember saying exactly that to EuchreJack in the mason chat: that I townread Roden but I wasn't sure enough that I could read Roden at all to believe it. He's probably not as mystifying as I seem to think. I guess I'll have to wait for him to be mafia again to try to get a better heuristic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 20, 2022, 11:42:56 am »

One more thing: I should have townread Roden more strongly, clearly. Roden is kind of an exception to what I said before in that I never actually thought he was scum at all, but for some reason I have a really hard time convincing myself that I'm reading him right. It's the same thing that ultimately tripped me up in the last Fallacy Clockwork Marathon Hell game. I remember saying exactly that to EuchreJack in the mason chat: that I townread Roden but I wasn't sure enough that I could read Roden at all to believe it. He's probably not as mystifying as I seem to think. I guess I'll have to wait for him to be mafia again to try to get a better heuristic.

Ah, but Roden clearly gets better every time he rolls Mafia, so your heuristics will always be off.  :P
My townread of Roden came very early in the game when Roden was trying to mechanically solve the game.  While mafia!Roden could certainly fake that, it occurred so early, so spontaneously, and so naturally that I figured it had to be town!Roden.  And I built upon that as the game continued.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 20, 2022, 12:22:55 pm »

Don't worry, Max. I'm always scum, even when I'm not, but especially when I am. This game had a necessity to look Town that others might not, and in that way, you did well, since it made you electable. Same with Jim and NQT.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]