Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stones Having A Chance To Drop Gems ?  (Read 1274 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
Stones Having A Chance To Drop Gems ?
« on: May 11, 2022, 08:18:00 am »

Is there a way to add a method, giving certain rocks a percentage chance of dropping a custom gem when mined?

Good examples of cinnabar rock are commonly cut into cabochons and sold as a fairly expensive semiprecious gems.
 In real life cinnabar can, on rare occasions, develop deep red crystals that are VERY VERY valuable.

Realgar is another in-game rock that can, on rare occasions, develop crystals that are valuable. Not as valuable as cinnabar crystals, but still not cheap to purchase.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Stones Having A Chance To Drop Gems ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 04:18:35 pm »

No - all map tiles have exactly one distinct "mining yield" (item + material).

The best you can do is define inclusions within the relevant mineral veins - just as Kimberlite can contain Diamonds, you could also have Cinnabar contain valuable crystals. Unfortunately, the Frequency values on mineral inclusions all seem to be relative (i.e. they only decide which minerals you'll find across the entire map), so you can't really make something that appears only in one out of a hundred veins.

Now, way back in the old 2D versions (0.23 and earlier), all types of Gems had a chance of instead yielding gems of the next higher rarity, and this was the only way of getting things like Star Rubies/Sapphires and colored Diamonds.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 04:20:19 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 06:07:50 pm »

Not without DFhack anyway, 'TESB' ("the earth strikes back") offers this functionality, which is a derived use of Milo's rubble finder script to do the targeting legwork as i understand it.

Edit: Maybe link it up to the new RNG functionalities of DFhack, could be a idea to make it truly random. Consult your own technical ability to fix it up if dormant coders are currently slumbering, noted to not work properly in later versions, 43. etc on a readthrough of the TESB thread, but the precedent is there.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:18:51 pm by FantasticDorf »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 04:00:27 am »

I'm pretty sure this kind of thing is modeled with the gemstone system that is already in the game; you can specify a gem to occur in single clusters inside a particular rock.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 09:02:08 am »

I'm pretty sure this kind of thing is modeled with the gemstone system that is already in the game; you can specify a gem to occur in single clusters inside a particular rock.

I already explained above that this will not do what the original poster wanted:

The best you can do is define inclusions within the relevant mineral veins - just as Kimberlite can contain Diamonds, you could also have Cinnabar contain valuable crystals. Unfortunately, the Frequency values on mineral inclusions all seem to be relative (i.e. they only decide which minerals you'll find across the entire map), so you can't really make something that appears only in one out of a hundred veins
Specifically, if you define a valuable gem inclusion and set a low frequency on it, you'll either find it everywhere or you'll find it nowhere.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.