Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question to the fortress citizens "WHERE are you going??"  (Read 3043 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question to the fortress citizens "WHERE are you going??"
« on: May 14, 2022, 06:12:44 pm »

Majority of settlements I enter in adventure mode npcs have a designated area they hang around and if they are wandering it's for a specific reason

but at procedurally generated dwarf fortresses I notice all residents are constantly sprinting full speed across the whole map at all times.
Why? Where are you going?
Why do you keep running into me?
It's no wonder so many adventure mode stories end with the leaders of a dwarf civ getting killed. It's annoying

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Question to the fortress citizens "WHERE are you going??"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 05:14:08 pm »

There are several places in most forts they can hang out and they'll randomly run between them, hang out for a bit and then run to a different one;

- the trade depot at the surface
- any temples, inn or library on the surface
- stockpiles, often midway down the fortress
- the noble hall, usually below the stockpiles

Since its a narrow 1 tile wide ramp it gets very congested, and yeah, it's a pain to deal with. All that pathing makes them a lot laggier than human hamlets too, where they usually stay in their houses and occasionally go to the well. The inns, temples and libraries in human cities can be pretty bad, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.