Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Free DBMS for private sharing  (Read 3400 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Free DBMS for private sharing
« on: May 18, 2022, 08:41:55 am »

So long story short, my brother and I have been making a card game for fun, and it has grown to the extent where spreadsheets aren't enough to keep tabs on it (it has some 870 cards, with more to come, each having various properties). Some month ago, I took a course on databases which was basically basic SQL + learning MS Access. So I made a MS Access database from our existing spreadsheets, and shared it with my brother using Google Drive. However, it turns out MS Access expects you to, well, have it, and my brother doesn't. So while he can see any changes I make he can't edit, defeating half the purpose of being able to share it. Which brings us to my question:
What free DBMS do you recommend for sharing privately like this? Most DBMS seem to (unsurprisingly) be tailored for companies who can host their own server all the time, while in our case it is just the two of us. Optimally it should have some non command-line view, so it's easier for my brother to use, but I plan to program an interface in Java sooner or later, so if there are none like that it just forces it to become "sooner". Easy transfer from an Access database is also a plus.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Free DBMS for private sharing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 10:51:37 am »

What version of operating systems do the two computers have?

How much of the information stored in Access is "raw data", as compared to stuff like "queries"/"forms"/"views"/"reports" or whatever Access currently calls these things?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 11:37:29 am »

Just use Oracle MySQL and a free database browser like SQLYog? Neither require a license.

That assumes though that the db is hosted somewhere it can be externally accessible by them via the db browser. Dumping it to Google Drive wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:40:06 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 01:25:23 pm »

What version of operating systems do the two computers have?

How much of the information stored in Access is "raw data", as compared to stuff like "queries"/"forms"/"views"/"reports" or whatever Access currently calls these things?

Windows 10 and windows 10. All the relevant stuff is in data. There are some basic forms and queries, but I wouldn’t mind losing those.

Just use Oracle MySQL and a free database browser like SQLYog? Neither require a license.

That assumes though that the db is hosted somewhere it can be externally accessible by them via the db browser. Dumping it to Google Drive wouldn't work.

Those are good ideas, hadn’t heard of the latter before this. Would it be possible to move the DB around as a file through drive and then reading it once downloaded, as an ”easy” but cumbersome solution?
I guess I could also host the database on my neocities if it can be treated like a normal file? But in that case I am worried about the safety issue - because the file contains some personal data, backups can always be made.
The third alternative would be one of those ”free hosting” sites that apparently exist. Do you have any experience of using those?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 11:19:13 pm »

Well, I use MySQL professionally. So my understanding of it is with a business infrastructure supporting it.

You can install MySQL locally and run it yourself fine. But it's not one consolidated file. Each table in the db is a file, and there are lots of other supporting files for the db. It's not something you can "host" through free file sharing sites. If you wanted an actual, accessible-from-anywhere-but-protected setup, and you're not capable of doing that yourself from your own machine, you'd maybe want it hosted by the Amazon or Google cloud. But that also expects a certain level of technical sophistication on your end to make it work. (And, ya know, having someone else host it for you costs you $$ every month.)

What you might be able to get away with though is....

Both of you install MySQL and SQLYog.

You export a copy of the database as a SQL dump file, zip it, put it on Google drive.

He downloads it, and executes it on an empty copy of the database using SQLYog's import function so it recreates everything. Then he can browse stuff, make changes, etc...

Then when he's ready to pass it back to you, he does a SQL dump, zips it, yadda yadda....

And on your end, you truncate the entire database, then restore it from his SQL backup.

It's not as elegant or smooth as you both having live access to the same DB. But it would allow you to swap copies back and forth between each other. I can't imagine the file size footprint of your work is very large (I usually deal with database dump files of 50+ gigs or larger) unless you're storing image data in your db, so it should make for a small file that takes no real time to download and import. The biggest limitation is that you can only really have one working copy at a time since there's no easy way to merge your changes with each other. On the plus side, SQLYog essentially allows you to view the db as a spreadsheet and edit that way. So they wouldn't have to really learn any query language.

And if you get more sophisticated with the SQLYog, you can do things like only export the tables you've actually changed and just truncate --> reimport the tables you need rather than doing the entire db. Which, again, I can't imagine is large enough for it to be that complex yet.

TLDR: I don't think there's a way for your brother to have DB access without them actually installing something on their end, or you paying money. If those are lines that can't be crossed then you're probably just better served by Google Doc spreadsheets. And if you go the route I suggest, then it'd probably just be better to have them install MS Access since you're already familiar with it and can help them. I haven't used MS Access that much but I kind recall its db browser is shit.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:30:18 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Some Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 03:04:59 am »

Well, if you don't need a very advanced database, you could use SQLite. This is a relational DB, just like Access file - you can store it in Google Drive for example and use it anywhere. But there are some trade-offs with it: only one person can work with DB at time. There are plenty of GUI to work with it, SQLite doesn't have a build-in editor.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 05:08:50 am »

Thank you both! SQLite seems to be more what I'm looking for, but the insight into why I (wouldn't) want a more traditional DBMS is useful, and if SQLite ends up being an ass there is that other option to try out. I'll also get my brother to see if he can install Access after all, he isn't that bad at computers and maybe he has some installation disk lying around.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 11:21:59 am »

I don't think you need an installation disk for Access. Should be able to download an installer from the internet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 09:26:30 pm »

I believe they have a freeware version, OpenAccess
Uh no.  What I mean is I think there is an opensource clone for Access

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 09:36:46 am »

Yeah, I was mistaken I think. My applications need MS Access DB drivers to do some stuff, and those you can easily grab. But not the full application.