Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: BECOME THE JUGGERNAUT (AR/SG) - Decision Phase - "Mustard-Colored Dust"  (Read 6530 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: BECOME THE JUGGERNAUT (AR/SG) - Design Phase - "Continuous Memory"
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2022, 12:26:48 pm »

Basically, when it comes to being loose with physics, I am not a physicist, I am a political science student. Going with absolute batshit insanity is likely to end up pretty tough unless the materials or methods you have on hand allow for it, but I also can only get into the details of how things work with regards to physics in so much detail before I begin to get lost (although I'm also not completely physical-science-illiterate, especially around chemistry), which leaves some wiggle room.

Also, yeah, with the technological context the Lightning Gun is probably still Easy; putting aside setting technological comparisons with the real world that might be a little spoilery for future work, it's also just a reasonable step up from the lasers you disassembled.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 12:33:46 pm by Powder Miner »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2022, 02:53:57 am »

Since time is of the essence I feel we should keep it simple and go with ether the laser carbine or the lightning gun.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2022, 05:53:25 am »

I’d vote for the Longinus Coilgun, but I’m on my phone so starting a votebox would be a pain. While it is VH, we have time for at least one revision. My second choice would be the Lightning Gun.
Long Live United Forenia!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2022, 10:00:50 am »

Wickerman Power Armor
Electric motors are made from the wire and electronics with a wooden base. Wood is then shaped into an exoskeleton frame from head to toe, with "twig" outlines for the armor plating to attach to. A hardened wooden backpack containing both batteries and the computer core and a bunch of wiring is created. The electric motors are transformed into actuators and placed into the joint of the limbs at the elbows and knees. A rack and pinion system can be added to the side of the motor in order to convert rotational energy to linear energy when necessary. The actuators are then wired to the backpack allowing them to be controlled by the computer and powered by the batteries. A strain-gauge system is added to the arms and legs to give their current position to the computer allowing it to assist with movement and tell what you are trying to do. Finally hardened wood plates are attached to the exoskeleton while we are in side it, with gaps at joints to allow for movement. A full helmet will be made using woodshaping.

If the Lightning Gun wins it might need a cooler name.

Quote from: What we gonna kill the spider with
Laser Carbine (0):
Pulsed-Laser Plasma Gauss Gun (0):
Longinus Coil Gun (0):
Lightning Gun (0):
S.A.P (0):
S.E.E.D (0):

We should probably hold off on the robot buddies until we have spider parts that might actually be able to make them work.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2022, 10:06:19 am »

Laser Carbine (0):
Longinus Coil Gun (1): NUKE9.13
Lightning Gun (0):
S.A.P (0):
S.E.E.D (0):

Long Live United Forenia!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2022, 01:10:19 am »

Laser Carbine (0):
Lightning Gun (1): King Zultan
S.A.P (0):
S.E.E.D (0):
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2022, 01:50:36 am »

Laser Carbine (0):
Lightning Gun (2): King Zultan, MS
S.A.P (0):
S.E.E.D (0):
I only wish it also shot shurikens, but it's close enough.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2022, 12:02:19 pm »

Laser Carbine (0):
S.A.P (0):
S.E.E.D (0):
I only wish it also shot shurikens, but it's close enough.

We'll have to wait until we have some viable explosives to revise it in. You don't expect us to add non-exploding shurikens do you?

Laser Carbine (0):
S.A.P (1): Stirk
S.E.E.D (0):
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 10:36:59 pm by Stirk »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2022, 10:50:13 pm »

If at all possible I'd like to see a couple more votes before I update - I'll be updating the day after tomorrow either way, however.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2022, 03:45:38 am »

Laser Carbine (0):
Lightning Gun (3): King Zultan, MS, Rockeater
S.A.P (1): Stirk
S.E.E.D (0):
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2022, 10:27:07 am »

Laser Carbine (0):
Lightning Gun (3): King Zultan, MS, Rockeater
S.A.P (2): Stirk, MoP
S.E.E.D (0):

I want robot friend. Guns that look like guns are overdone. Better guns would be things like a wrist laser, or palm laser, or something else that is a weapon we use directly that doesn't require the use of both hands takin' up inventory slots for future developments.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2022, 11:00:45 am »

I want robot friend. Guns that look like guns are overdone. Better guns would be things like a wrist laser, or palm laser, or something else that is a weapon we use directly that doesn't require the use of both hands takin' up inventory slots for future developments.

No.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2022, 01:56:38 pm »

No.
I’m afraid that I will have to ask that you avoid this sort of hyper-blunt response; I need participation to at least a certain level of constructiveness if the game is going to be welcoming and it hasn’t always been reached.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lightning Gun
A rifle shaped weapon is made out of wood. One laser root and laser barrel are attached to fire a laser at the target, with a battery attached to that laser group. A second battery is combined with electronics. When the laser fires it will create a path of plasma to the target. The second battery will then send a burst of electricity down the pathway made by the laser, creating an effect similar to a bolt of lightning. This should be capable of knocking out any electronic components in the target out and causing electric shock in any non-mechanical opponents.

Caliber is whatever the laser is.
Difficulty: Easy
Roll: (3+6)+1=10, Superior

To tell the truth, the idea that had struck you when you started putting your disassembled components together had seemed sort of silly at first - a laser that followed itself up with a bolt of electricity, as if it were lightning, a Lightning Gun. But the hours that followed proved that it was anything but. Instead, from the moment that you started working on putting laser components, electronics, and wood together... everything seemed to flow together smoothly, putting together pieces exactly, making precise adjustments to electrical components, and fluidly changing wood into a well-balanced whole. It was... cathartic, putting together the Lightning Gun (it clicked partway through that it is an electrolaser, but Lightning Gun is definitely too cool a name to discard) actually. It felt good.

And it put together a good damned product, too.

The Lightning Gun is a... mostly rifle-shaped weapon, its moderately reinforcement-enchanted wooden frame carefully shaped and smoothed to contain all of its components, remain balanced, but also remain light. It remains relatively even in length, not quite sleek but also not thick, - the electronic components that control the power output in the gun are spread unusually well out along the weapon, where slots for batteries are also located (the battery powering the electric blast being a bottom-facing slot at the rear, and the slot for the battery powering the laser being a side-facing slot in the middle), while the root that converts electricity to light runs half of the gun's length before ending at the laser ring and metal barrel at the front of the weapon. The wooden frame isn't literally seamless, being able to be pulled apart for maintenance, though it's not likely to come apart in your hands in combat.

The laser itself is not actually all that strong - it is close to identical to a standard laser pistol (with perhaps a slight uptick in laser focus and range due to fiddling with the laser ring), putting out an amount of energy that could pretty much carve through flesh or most wood, and even through thin sheets of other materials such as metal... but which won't exactly be punching through massive slabs of steel. But of course, the laser isn't really the focus of the weapon, the "lightning" produced by the electro part of the electrolaser is - and it is viciously powerful. Letting out a quick series of loud clicks when fired (which is optional), the Lightning Gun's second stage discharges a powerful bolt of electricity several times into the target within a fraction of a second. The kind of power that the Lightning Gun puts out can set flammable objects of flame (something discovered with the now thoroughly smoking, hurriedly-stamped-out ruins of a desk), likely absolutely savage most forms of electronics, and probably leave organic targets very burned and very dead beyond that (you're not as sure how that all works though).

Lightning Gun: A rather savagely powerful electrolaser rifle that you put together in the place where you woke up. The rifle, well balanced and easy to aim even with its extremely simple woodsight, has a two-stage trigger, which fires first a relatively weak laser (comparable to that of a standard druid-engineer-made laser pistol but with slightly more range), and then if held down a terrifyingly strong bolt of electricity which can destroy most all electronics, set objects on fire, and probably kill or at least severely wound organic targets. Needs two batteries, one for the laser and slotted into the center, and one for the electric shot and slotted into the rear.

DECISION PHASE (In this phase, you must vote for what kind of action our intrepid protagonist will be taking next! (This means that's all I expect from the votebox this phase, the action for next phase.) This sends the game into a phase for the appropriate action, where I will ask for input from you on how our protagonist will proceed in performing that action - for each individual action, I'll briefly outline exactly what that consists of as I introduce the action, and place them into the rules, so this shouldn't be too tough. Each action takes something called Time Units - and in the context of Decision Phases, that basically means the time until the enemy tracks you down and you're forced into full-on battle!)

a. Design (2 Time Units) (Use the salvage or equipment that you already have available to design a piece of equipment. Conceptualize what you can do here as the protagonist spending several hours and serious effort putting something together. You can assume that they're reasonably capable, but can't make things happen out of nowhere.
b. Revision (1-2 Time Units) Use the salvage or equipment that you already have available to revise a piece of pieces of equipment. Revisions are much easier pieces of work that take less time and fewer components (either edits to existing work, or particularly simple new pieces of work). 1 Time Unit is worth one revision, 2 Time Units is worth two, but a reroll of any roll of 2.
c. Salvage (1 Time Unit) Scour your immediate area for potential salvage, and then spend a little bit of time breaking it down particular pieces of it in ways that you hope are useful. If you pick this item, in the ensuing phase I'll give a more in-depth description of potential salvage in the area, and ask you for list of things to focus on salvaging, and what you hope to break them down into (or how you plan to break them down) - this process is just a couple of hours. I will roll for the results of the Salvage phase - the more you demand, the higher your difficulty, working much like designs.
d. Scout (1 Time Unit) Search outside of your immediate are for information on your wider environment. You will be presented with three things to gain information on (one of which will always be the option to spy on and gain more information on your enemy) and will get to choose two, or write in another priority. There could be some risk involved here - in the worst possible case, you could lose extra Time Units. However, there is no dice-based risk.
e. Prepare (1 Time Unit) Set up the space that you are currently in and/or the objects on your person in order to shape the imminent battlefield in your favor. Although you will vote on a preferred preparation plan here, there won't be any dice rolls and you can generally expect success unless you do something very risky (which could take more time, have side effects, or most rarely fail). This isn't the same thing as preparing your tactics for the battle.
f. Not Yet Available (...?)
g. Not Yet Available (...?)

Time Units until Enemy Returns: 2
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:03:47 pm by Powder Miner »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Prepare: (1) m1895
Might as well make sure we can set up some barricades before the gribbly comes.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11