Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training machines and reactions  (Read 1733 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training machines and reactions
« on: May 21, 2022, 07:16:37 am »

I had a thought last week, about training machines for the military.

My thought was building a "steam automaton" for training basic weapon and shield use, via reactions.
Some contraption consisting of a barrel and a big bunch of mechanisms.
And having a reaction that requires some buckets of water and bars of coal, that would train weapon skill.
Maybe consuming a weapon, and/or shield in the process, so that it's not a trivial thing that would be massively overpowered.

But since that would be fairly "safe" and not result in injuries in training, I was hesitant. What can be done ? Producing clouds of steam, would that cause the occasional injury ? How would you go about that ?
Creating a bar of a product that turns instantly to gas, that inflicts a syndrome ?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training machines and reactions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 08:54:23 am »

Workshop training machines are a suprisingly old concept. Littered mostly around mephs masterwork and other mods of that era, like gas emissives that give you xp or just applying it from console.

There is the XP multiplier token function, but i've not seen any actual useful application for it since it's been added (not to mention the big numbers usually involved with xp), and it very much fallen by the wayside and very subjective to the dwarf using it not having a unideal set of traits (which is a relatively exact science, dwarves bad at numbers & speaking dont make good brokers for instance)

If we're talking like a danger-room, that's more of a DF general topic in engineering it, unless for example, you wanted a trap that sorts of slaps you 50 times, which is editable as a trap-part (i tried that once, the idea is that i wanted to bruise a animal before i chucked it down a pit).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Training machines and reactions
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 10:26:27 am »

There is the XP multiplier token function, but i've not seen any actual useful application for it since it's been added (not to mention the big numbers usually involved with xp), and it very much fallen by the wayside and very subjective to the dwarf using it not having a unideal set of traits (which is a relatively exact science, dwarves bad at numbers & speaking dont make good brokers for instance)

Sparking uses them for training reactions exactly like the OP is wondering about, actually