Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends mode readability change for Steam release (mockup pics inside)  (Read 1131 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

This is what legends mode looks like (as shown in recent Steam news updates):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I dunno about you, but to me that looks rather repetitive. This is not at all a natural way to write historical information, and more importantly, it could be made easier to read. Maybe there is a better way to restructure this information that solves it better than I can think of right now, but here is a mockup of an idea I had to improve it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now it's immediately obvious which events happened in the same section of the year, and it reduces the pointless repetition! Basically, put the events from the same section of time in bullet points below the time, rather than repeatedly saying "in the late spring of 66" three times in a row.

I'm sure there could be bolder ways of restructuring this to reduce repetition even more (for example, ideally each year number should only be shown once, and each segment of the year nested beneath it), but that's a good start I think. There are only 3 in a row in this example, but I've seen legends entries for megabeasts where they kill lots of people in one attack for instance, and that would make for a LOT of repetition of "midautumn of 49", whereas this way you'll be able to immediately tell when that particular event was finished.

For those longer entries, you could also maybe do something like making each of these year sections "collapsible" with a dropdown arrow.

I did consider keeping the "Melbil" part on the first line as well so that's not repeated, but as you can see, not every line has that consistently, so it wouldn't work in all cases. A shame though, would be even better for reducing repetition in cases where it does repeat.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 04:34:55 pm by Mr Crabman »

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dude, this is such a good and elegant change. +1

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website

+1 and collapsible by clicking on the year (unless that should rather take the player to the complete list of the relevant Age.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 05:13:19 am by Mobbstar »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a really nice improvement and should be simple to implement.