Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow mod authors to add ingame configurable settings for mods  (Read 456 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

In FotF, there was a discussion a while back about letting individual mods have configurable "options" to enable or disable content:

Quote from: Mr Crabman
Do you think it would be feasible to do [mod options] before the first release? Even just being able to enable and disable particular raw files (or multiple raw files) from being loaded/read based on labeled checkboxes (maybe also with a descriptive "this will enable X" blurb written by the mod author) being ticked or not would go a long way, basically offering equivalent power to what we have now, and it would solve the potential problem of the workshop (and DFFD probably) being filled with similar but slightly different versions of mods. Being able to enable or disable specific chunks of raw files (marked by special tokens at the start and end of the "chunk") would be even better, but presumably a bit harder to implement.

It's feasible, the first one anyway.  I'm not sure how fiddly the chunk one would get, since not everything is set up to be parsed the same way as the creature ones (which offer some of that "do what you want with the raw text" functionality), if I recollect.

So now that options for *vanilla* stuff are being added, I'd just like to throw this idea back out there, just in case it was forgotten. I believe this is important for modding, because it will mean that instead of having to publish a bunch of very similar versions of the same mod to DFFD or the Steam Workshop (especially modular mods), people can just upload the one, and the "variants" of it can be obtained by a user ticking or unticking the ingame options the mod author has defined.