Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!(IC)  (Read 19984 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!(IC)
« on: May 22, 2022, 01:22:07 pm »

Colonel Prince Aleksandr Stargus stands in front of a familiar battle-board and the assembled troops. Despite his lofty title he is a fresh faced youth who is barely a man, lacking even a hint of his father's majestic beard. Still his blue eyes hold the confidence of a born royal, his helmet lying on the table allowing the fresh regiment to fully view his face.

He gives a small bow. The traditional response is a noticeably larger bow from the guardsmen.

"We are soon arriving on Olia Viridi. I will now discuss our plan of attack to halt the green tide."

His voice was projected from the table with the help of an installed Vox-caster. A piece of technology foreign to Sulubritas, it is another reminder that you truly are sailing through the distant stars in the name of the Emperor. A projection of light appears from the board, showing its contents across the hanger for the entire regiment to see. It is clear that the local PDF forces are represented as armored soldier pieces, while your mechanized infantry is shown in the form of horse pieces. They are on top of what appears to be a terrain map.

"Currently the local PDF forces are under siege at a city known as Liev. The Greenskins are attempting a ground assault against a fortified position, unable to bypass the city's mighty defenses against the stars. We will be landing directly behind this battlefield and will eliminate the attackers."

His pieces follow the words. Orks are shown as gargoyle pegs, and are knocked over dramatically by the horses to drive the point in.

"This city is on the frontline of the war. We will rely on it for our logistics. Once secure it will allow safe harbor for our ships and a quick method to deliver materiel further in land."

He points to one of the lines on the map, his finger appearing on the projection.

"On this planet goods are moved by a special type of Hauler that relies on a metal road. This metal road connects all cities and outposts on the planet. Approximately one hundred meters of jungle on either side are burned back periodically to facilitate efficient movement of these Haulers. Unfortunately this planet is covered in deep jungle. These metal roads will prove to be the only path we can swiftly take with our mobile siege towers. Fortunately as long as we follow them we will be able to keep supplied by the haulers so long as we can secure the road with sufficient patrols."

His finger continues down the railroad path to the next city, Roer.

"We will follow this path and liberate the city of Roer. Our destination will be easy to predict, however I have been informed that the greenskins are quite rubbish at ambushes. Emperor willing we will be able to handle anything that comes out of the jungle. Expelling the greenskins from this city is likely to involve intense urban combat, but once complete we will have another forward operating base. This one in range of our next target."

He moves the horses to Roer, then shows them surrounding a rock. The rock isn't a model. It is just a small rock.

"An ork landing vessel. Our goal is a decapitating strike. There is no better place for the enemy general to lead from. If we truly find the enemy commander here we will eliminate him for the Imperium and wipe out the green menace while they're scrambling around headless. If not we will attempt to use the treasure trove of intel that is no doubt located here to discover his location and eliminate him. Overall we will fight to claim land and rely on the PDF to reclaim it. We will face heavy fighting both head-on and ambushing from the trees."

His face momentarily takes on an expression of grim determination.

"Expect neither chivalry nor honor from our enemy's behavior. Our foes are of a cruel and sadistic stock. Reports suggest that the enemy general had captured humans tied up and placed on a Hauler road, running over hundreds simply because he enjoys the sights and sounds their bodies make as it crushes them. We can scarcely imagine what daily horrors those captured cities are facing. We will show no mercy and get none in return."

He looks across the faces of his soldiers, stopping for only a moment over those he recognizes.

"I am confident in this plan. Yet I am not one to ignore the words of bloodied veterans. Should you have any questions or concerns about what we are to do on this planet now is the time to bring them up. We will have no rest until this planet is freed. This is your last moment of peace...perhaps in your life."

He pauses and waits for any response from the guardsmen.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!(IC)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 01:44:41 pm »

Bahzil de Rakfir

Bahzil listenee with rapt attention; all of the martial training he received on Sulubritas, then being taken from his home and the further training he received as a Psyker, had lead him to this moment. His first real combat against the enemies of the Imperium, the first real chance he’d have to show how he could serve the Emperor.

The pride he felt swelled in his chest, bursting forth with a loud shout.

For the Emperor!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 04:01:53 pm »

Eltiazh Glacir

Having heard stories of the amazing deeds of Salubritas knights from childhood and having seen with her own eyes the amazing power of Imperial technology, Eltiazh feels confident in victory. How can someone who carries a dozen minor miracles in their rucksack alone feel like anything but a demigod?

"Large green men cannot compare with the valor of a knight and the might of the Imperium! For the Emperor!"
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:49:59 pm »

"Do we know the name of the one we're going to kill?"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 05:59:41 pm »

Bahzil de Rakfir

Bahzil listenee with rapt attention; all of the martial training he received on Sulubritas, then being taken from his home and the further training he received as a Psyker, had lead him to this moment. His first real combat against the enemies of the Imperium, the first real chance he’d have to show how he could serve the Emperor.

The pride he felt swelled in his chest, bursting forth with a loud shout.

For the Emperor!
Eltiazh Glacir

Having heard stories of the amazing deeds of Salubritas knights from childhood and having seen with her own eyes the amazing power of Imperial technology, Eltiazh feels confident in victory. How can someone who carries a dozen minor miracles in their rucksack alone feel like anything but a demigod?

"Large green men cannot compare with the valor of a knight and the might of the Imperium! For the Emperor!"

A cheer breaks out from the surrounding men. "For the Emperor!" being the most common. Many of the low born accompany it with raised fists and weapons while the trained knights tend to pair it with the sign of the aquila. With some exceptions. Havir was especially excited and shouted until his face was red. Alrin was on the opposite end, mumbling with his hand over his heart. The man standing next to your foreign operator looks very much like he would rather everyone cheer him.

For his part, the prince presses some buttons on the board and summons the aquila along with banners from all three houses where the tactical map once was. He then signs himself quietly and waits for the chanting to die down.

"Do we know the name of the one we're going to kill?"

"I know not if the greenskins even have such things as names, crude as they are. Local forces have given them the code-name 'General Haffe' after the local species of ape."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 09:08:54 pm »

"General Monkey!  I like it."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 10:13:21 pm »

Gunnar, only half-paying attention while carefully checking over some machinery, quietly tries to pacify his friend. "Sh sh, I'm sure you'll be running the place in a week. They can seize your accounts, but they can never seize... our freedom! I mean, they can, but that's why we're here."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 11:22:01 pm »

Gunnar, only half-paying attention while carefully checking over some machinery, quietly tries to pacify his friend. "Sh sh, I'm sure you'll be running the place in a week. They can seize your accounts, but they can never seize... our freedom! I mean, they can, but that's why we're here."

"Everyone is treating me like...I'm some common minor nobleman! And the new Grace is too small to even fit a single pleasure hall!"

He looks at the Chimera and shakes his head.

"Plus she's ground bound. Is this how Star felt?"

Raising his hand forward, the prince shouts "Load up! We're dropping in five!" before heroically donning his helmet and marching into the command Chimera. Everyone begins packing into there assigned vehicles, which are soon moved to the assigned drop ship.

Your squad's Chimera is rather roomy. You are under the vehicle's capacity of 12 with only 7 members on your squad, giving you plenty of leg room. Even with all your assembled war-gear.

Havir's excitement has yet to die down. He's clearly pumped up like a football fan who's team just won, still cheering the glory of the Imperium. Gill is pouting that someone else took the Commander's seat before he could get to it. Alrin is looking nervously at everyone's equipment, and the Psyker he is assigned to watch.

Your Chimera is a fine machine. Compared to the Constructors it is clearly a weapon of war, with guns glittering on all sides. Its mighty tracks make it look much closer to a tank than an APC. It is equipped with a standard multi-laser attached to its turret, a heavy bolter on the hull, and a pintle mounted stubber like a cherry on top. Even those who don't get one of the big guns can fire their weapons through one of the firing points without fear of retaliation from enemy infantry. Truly the Chimera is the God Emperor's own fist.

(Gunnar is assigned to Driver as the Operator, everyone else gets to pick one of the three big guns to man. Fist come first serve. You all have weapon training for all three weapons since it runs off your Operate (Surface) as mounted weapons.))

For a moment you're flying again. You where flying in the ship but it somehow feels more stable than the atmospheric dropship that shudders as it enters the atmosphere and every time it makes a sharp turn. With one final thud you're on the ground. The doors open revealing the battlefield before you.

You landed behind the PDF's trench line. It is a long dirt structure reinforced with wood and sandbags. Compared to the mighty defenses of your home planet it may as well have been children playing in the sandbox. Inside the trench is uniformed men manning stubbers, primitive flamers that use fuel from a backpack, and shotguns. And corpses, both human and greenskin. The defense has been going poorly.

In front of the trenches is a no-man's land. Much of it was clearly jungle until recently, smoldering ash covers three hundred meters to the jungle (jumping over the railway about two hundred meters away). This seems to have made it difficult to defend with artillery - the orks are coming out of the jungle and charging the trench line too close to shell effectively. Some are using simple melee weapons while others are firing ramshackle guns while running forward and screaming. PDF fire is managing to take out many but still there are those who make it to the trench and manage to do a number on the locals before being put down by stubbers and shotguns.

Of those in your dropship, half the chimera turn right to reinforce that side of the trench. Half turn left to reinforce that side of the trench. You're left reinforcing right in front of the drop zone.

Spoiler: Local Battlefield (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 11:48:21 pm »

Bahzil

Bahzil looks out one of the firing slots, his hand squeezing his staff tightly at the sight of the enemy. Oh to be on the ground, in the melee instead of this steel can!

He turns to Alrin, noticing his nervous twitches, he speaks firmly:

You should be more worried about the greenskins than us. Well,” he chuckles, tapping his temple and then waggling his fingers sarcastically “some of us are unstable and need looking after. I told you it was all nonsense, not that you listen…” he turns back to the firing slot, weapon at the ready.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 11:54:16 pm »

"Ahh, such powerful weapons backing quite primitive fortifications. If only there were time, I would love to see a proper Imperial fortress."
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 11:56:14 pm »

Bahzil

Bahzil looks out one of the firing slots, his hand squeezing his staff tightly at the sight of the enemy. Oh to be on the ground, in the melee instead of this steel can!

He turns to Alrin, noticing his nervous twitches, he speaks firmly:

You should be more worried about the greenskins than us. Well,” he chuckles, tapping his temple and then waggling his fingers sarcastically “some of us are unstable and need looking after. I told you it was all nonsense, not that you listen…” he turns back to the firing slot, weapon at the ready.

((The Chimera has a hatch up top that you can leave from if you really want to. It isn't particularly advisable to use it but if anyone who isn't driving wants to jump off can. It is even less advisable to do so if/once you are actually moving.))

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 12:09:13 am »

((I think Alrin’s presence will at least remind Bahzil there are usually more sensible means to achieve the squad’s goals than what he wants to do heh))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 12:10:18 am »

"I'm going to start with the ones closest to the trench line."

Shoot the multi-laser at the Axe Orc.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 12:20:30 am »

"I'm going to start with the ones closest to the trench line."

Shoot the multi-laser at the Axe Orc.

The Multi-laser acts as the Chimera's main gun and best way to deal with light armor. Against an Ork on foot, it would no doubt tear it to pieces with heavy Laser fire.

Unfortunately the wild blast of lasers only makes more smoldering craters as the volley misses the target. Apparently unworried about this close brush with death the Ork continues its charge.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 01:21:18 am »

Bahzil takes aim, with a full action, ‘cause everything is awfully far away for the moment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37