Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: The Headhunter: Game Over! Cult Victory!  (Read 10617 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
The Headhunter: Game Over! Cult Victory!
« on: May 29, 2022, 01:22:54 pm »

The Headhunter

The executives had been assembled and were waiting for the CEO to arrive. Orange sunlight filtered into the conference room through shoddy plastic Venetian blinds. It looks like the executives would have to suffer a late night today.

The door burst open and slammed into the wall, the doorknob denting the drywall, with the CEO, Jim Groovester, rapidly entering, sheepish assistants following behind him.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice." He growled, aggravation clear in his voice. He sniffed roughly and rubbed his nose and moustache. "There's an important topic I need to discuss with you. Important to the future of the company."

Jim snapped his fingers. His assistants rolled a projector to the center of the room, turned it on, and placed a few sheets onto the projector.

The executives squinted their eyes trying to make sense of what was being shown as the projector warmed up. Being displayed was a blurry photo of two individuals in business suits shaking hands, and what looked to be an offer letter for a recently departed executive of the company.

Jim slammed the conference room table with a clenched fist, veins bulging from the exertion. "WHICH OF YOU FUCKERS IS TRYING TO POACH MY TALENT!?" Jim roared.

Player List [6/6]:
  • webadict
  • EuchreJack
  • TricMagic
  • Roden
  • Knightwing64
  • Vector

This is a six player cult setup. There are five Vanilla Town players, and one Cult Leader. During the day phase players must vote a player to publicly reveal their alignment. If the players vote for a member of the Cult team, that player is also eliminated from the game. The town must eliminate the Cult Leader using this method, at which point they win the game, and the Cult team must attempt to deceive and the lead the town astray during the day phase. During the Night Phase, the Cult Leader can convert a town player into a Cult Ally. The Cult Leader must recruit Cult Allies using their conversion until the Cult's team meets or exceeds the remaining town players, at which point they win the game.

Potential Roles

Vanilla Townie - A town aligned player with no abilities.
Cult Leader - A cult aligned player that can convert Vanilla Townies into Cult Allies during the Night Phase.
Cult Ally - A cult aligned player with no abilities. Cult Allies do not know the identity of the Cult Leader.

Spoiler: Role PMs (click to show/hide)

Rules
  • Phases - The game is split into a Day Phase and a Night Phase. When the Day Phase ends, the game proceeds into the Night Phase, where the thread will be locked and discussion prohibited. At the end of the Night Phase, the game proceeds into another Day Phase, where the thread is unlocked and discussion is allowed. Days last for 48 hours, while Nights last for 24 hours. The game begins with Day 1.
    • Day Phases can be shortened. Players must vote for a Shorten by posting shorten in their posts in bolded text. Shortens require >50% of the remaining players before they are processed. When processed, shortens immediately end the day.
    • Discussion is prohibited after the expiration of the Day Phase deadline or a successful shorten.
    • Prior to game start on Day 1, the game will be in a Pre Game state where roles are distributed and discussion prohibited. The Pre Game state will last 24 hours.
  • Voting - All players possess a single vote that they may cast against another player during the Day Phase. Votes are cast in red and should include the name of the targeted player. At the end of the Day Phase, the alignment of the player with the most votes is publicly revealed. If this player is cult aligned, they are eliminated from the game and may no longer play.
    • This game has hammers. When >50% of the players in the game vote for a single player, that player is hammered and the Day Phase immediately ends. Discussion is prohibited after a hammer occurs.
    • To remove a vote, players may put unvote in red text.
    • At the end of the Day Phase, if two or more players are tied for the lead in votes, the day will end with no player's alignment being revealed.
  • Elimination - When a player has been eliminated, they are prohibited from posting in the thread. An eliminated player may make a single 'bah' post after being eliminated, however, it must not contain any game-related information.
  • PMs - PMs between players are prohibited. Players may freely PM the moderator to ask game-related questions, however, what the moderator may reveal is limited.
    • Do not quote any direct correspondence with the moderator, including role PMs and rule-related queries.
  • Edits - Editing posts is prohibited.
  • External Participation - While the game is ongoing, if you are not a player or a moderator, refrain from posting in the thread.
    « Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 08:47:42 pm by Jim Groovester »
    I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • Former King of the Mafia
      • View Profile
    Re: The Headhunter: A Six Player Cult Setup
    « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 01:52:54 pm »

I'll in, but if someone else wants to play and we exceed capacity, I'll give up my spot.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 03:08:05 pm »

Ditto in.
    Looks like a promising Cult setup.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 04:17:18 pm »

In. Also vote EuchreJack.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 04:29:49 pm »

I'll join if you can't find enough players by Tuesday.
    Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 06:37:35 pm »

In

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 07:20:20 pm »

In

Might be fun to do a mafia less mechanically based

Vector

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 09:58:55 pm »

I'll in, with the caveat that I have finals soon. I'll hold myself to posting high quality content though.

(I'm going through some seriously rough shit and could use some camaraderie even if I should be focusing on school).
    "The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
    • 1P
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 10:07:54 pm »

Alright, that's six.

I'll end signups tomorrow to see if somebody wants to take webadict's place.

Once signups end I'll transition to a Pre Game state, where roles are distributed but the game hasn't started yet to give the Cult Leader some pressure-free time to strategize. I might even update the rules in the OP to say I'm doing this.
    I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 10:42:34 pm »

I can't quite tell if webadict would specifically prefer not to play or is just trying to be nice.
    I'll play if he wants to give up the slot, but if he doesn't, that's fine too.

Also, hope things become okay soon, Vector.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 10:52:40 pm »

I am willing to give up my slot if Web & Max want to play.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • It’s shite being Scottish
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 10:53:06 pm »

I can't quite tell if webadict would specifically prefer not to play or is just trying to be nice.

Eh… PTW.

I’ll be a replacement also, should it be required.
    Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • Former King of the Mafia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 05:43:00 am »

Good question... I didn't know I'd have a chance to potentially recruit Vector, but I said it in case someone really wanted to play that didn't get a chance. If you wanna play, take it. I can keep working on some other things.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
    • 1P
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 12:16:35 pm »

I will let a coinflip decide which of you is going to play since neither of you are willing to assert your desire to play over the other.

Congratulations, webadict, you're playing.

Going to distribute roles and enter the Pre Game in a bit.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
    • 1P
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 12:35:02 pm »

The Headhunter:Pre-Game

The sound of Jim's fist slamming into the table dissipated quickly, but for the effect it had on the group assembled it may as well have been rolling thunder.

Nervous eyes darted around the room and to each other. Could it be true? Was there somebody in this room trying to steal talent?

The game is now in pre-game. You have your roles now. The thread will remain unlocked if there's any administrative things that need to be taken care of.

Please do not make any game related posts during this time, including banter.

I will start the game tomorrow morning.
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12