Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paypal or Patreon  (Read 2787 times)

Zneb

• Bay Watcher
  • My yaks always die of thirst...
    • View Profile
Paypal or Patreon
« on: June 03, 2022, 04:46:23 pm »

Hello together

I want to spend 1doller a month for bay12games so I wondered: Is it better to become a Petreon or to send de money via a repeating transaction. I mean is there a difference in how the transaction cut is calculatet, where do they get more of the initial 1 doller?
And do i hafe a benefite from one or the other?

Its probably quite simple but I got confused with all the changes and not changes Patreon did or didn't do....

Thanks for helping me with your advice :)
always fighting with the GUI ^^
r/MrZnebra ■ Discord: Zneb#2191
my new found pation: Givin Gifts

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Paypal or Patreon
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 06:11:47 pm »

My unsourced opinion is that Patreon is more equitable to the person you're supporting, and has a better structure for incentives and rewards.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zneb

• Bay Watcher
  • My yaks always die of thirst...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 07:23:46 am »

So I did some research and found the numbers.

For Paypal, the exact numbers are available from bay12games and so the direct Paypal fees are 2.9% plus 30cent per transaction.
For Patreon, it's a little bit more complicated, since we don't know the exact numbers but I found these numbers on this website, that the fees are 5 - 12% platform fees plus the 2.9% + $0.30 for donations over $3. On top of that Patreon also has payout fees, but I don't think they mather that mutch. So if this is correct, then it is always better to do a direct Paypal transaction. On the website are also an explanation of how many % each Patreon account tire is but, in the end, it does not matter for my initial question.

So if these numbers are correct, it's better to use PayPal if you spend more than 3 dollars and Patreon if you spend less than that.
But it's still a bit confusing.
To add to that you can only make 1 dollar transactions via Patreon anyway, so that solves that.

Maby this is interesting for someone else :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:30:04 am by Zneb »
always fighting with the GUI ^^
r/MrZnebra ■ Discord: Zneb#2191
my new found pation: Givin Gifts

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 09:41:23 am »

It is interesting, for sure!

Thanks for digging into it.