Mining the thread for ideas
- 0 (0%)
Reliving my glory days
- 0 (0%)
Just randomly came here
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Risky Space Lords II (newcomers always welcome)  (Read 15726 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Risky Space Lords II (newcomers always welcome)
« on: June 06, 2022, 12:34:53 pm »

Players are powerful space lords who command entire planets and want to become the Emperor of Space.

Planets fall into several categories:
  • Farming planets: produce enough food to feed themselves and 2 additional planets. If a planet is not supplied with food for the turn, it (reverts to subsistence farming and) does nothing that turn.
  • Mining planets: produces 3 units of ore.
  • Manufacturing planets: turn up to 3 ore into an equal number of machines
  • Recruitment planets: produces 1 army per turn. Supports 3 armies. If you do not have sufficient support for your armies, they are destroyed without compensation at the end of the turn
  • Shipyard planets: may spend 3 ore to produce 1 fleet/turn.

Contracts: Players are free to trade anything to anyone (from food and ore to planets and future favors) by entering into a contract. One exception to this rules is prestige- which can only be shared on the turn it is obtained.
A contract is an agreement signed (quoted and their name added) by multiple parties, and is binding (meaning you can not refuse to do it.) so be careful about what contracts you enter into.
Never edit posts with contracts in them. Write new posts amending the contract instead (a contract can always be amended if all of it's signatories agree, even if it doesn't say so in the contract.)

Colonization: This is a 2 step process. The controller of a fleet may send it away on a mission of exploration. One fleet will find one potential colony per turn (that only the fleet controllers know the path to) Each colony is of a particular kind (see planets) and costs 10 machines to settle.

League Trade: For the anti-social and the desperate, there's also a backup market, that sells food (for 75 Million Florins), ore (for 100M₣) and machines (for 150M₣.) Or buys them (for 7, 10 and 15 Million respectively.) League charter prohibits them from engaging in warfare, so they will not buy or sell ships or armies.

Starting conditions: Each player starts with 1000 Power Points. You may join at any time.
Power points may be spent as a follows:
  • 400 points: 1 planet of any type
  • 75 points: 1 fleet
  • 50 points: 1 unit of machines
  • 25 points: 1 unit of ore/food
  • 20 points: 1 army provided you have at least 1 recruitment planet per 3 armies
  • 1 point: 1 million Imperial Florins
(Any leftover points are automatically converted to Imperial Florins)

Fleets: fleets require 1 ore of upkeep per turn. If this price is not paid, the fleet can not explore or fight, but can still be redeployed.

Combat: If 2 hostile armadas (groups of fleets) are ever at the same planet, they will fight in the following manner: each ship rolls a d6 and then ship rolls are compared by sorting from highest to lowest, in each comparison the lower roll is destroyed (in a tie nothing happens.) excess rolls on the larger side are ignored. unsupplied fleets are auto-destroyed by combat.
Similarly, if 2 hostile army groups ever meet on a planet, they will fight in the same manner.
Armies can not be landed on planets that have hostile (to the army) fleets above them. And simply waste a turn.
Finally each planet is defended by a militia even if no armies are present. Militias fight at -2 penality to their roll. Armies (if any are left on the defending side) are eliminated first.

• Fleet hostility:
    • Fleet hostility must be declared in thread.
    • You can name specific players, or use catchalls like "everyone with prestige below zero" or even "everyone with fleets at Waterloo, except Wellesley".
    • Hostility persists between turns and must be declared over manually.
    • It only takes one hostile side to begin a battle.
    • Foreign (NPC) fleets are assumed to be always hostile.
  • Army hostility is determined by who the owner of the army wants the planet its on to belong to. This means that if two otherwise neutral players each want to take a planet for themselves, there will be a battle between their armies.
  • Fleet and army deployments can be done by PM. Or in thread, if you don't care about operational security.
  • Unsupplied ships are only destroyed if they are on the losing side of a fleet battle. Otherwise they are fine.
  • In addition to denying the armies the ability to land on a planet a hostile fleet may also deny them the ability to leave, provided that:
    • The fleet is supplied.
    • The fleet was maintaining a blockade of the planet both the previous turn and this turn
    • The fleet need not to have been hostile the previous turn

Example of combat:
Alice lands 3 armies on Borodino, Bob and his ally Charles have 1 army there, and a militia.
Alice rolls 6, 3, and 2 for her armies. Charles rolls 5, and Bob rolls 6-2 (that is to say 4) on his militia.
6-5 (alice wins)
3-4 (bob wins)
Each side loses an army. And a new round of combat begins.

Imperial Demesne:
The Emperor starts with the following planets (and may yet aquire more through the game):
Crown: Shipyard world
Scepter: Mining world
Sword: Recruitment world
Shield: Recruitment world
These 4 are known as Imperial Planets
They also start with 3 fleets, 6 armies and a large (but not infinite) supply of food and Imperial Florins.

Missions: The gameplay consists of players trying to fulfil missions, which are like contracts but with the game. Missions are announced at the beggining of a new turn and may expire if not taken. Missions come in three flavors:
  • Imperial levies: Have fixed rewards, are first come first serve* and usually give prestige and planets
    Example:
    Provide 4 armies and 2 fleets to obtain 5 prestige and 1 random planet
  • League Requests: Have variable rewards, go to the lowest bidder (on that turn) and usually give money
    Example:
    Provide 4 Food and 2 machines to obtain a sum of up to 250 M₣ or less.
  • Taxes: Have penalties instead of rewards, are mandatory for each player
    Example:
    Provide 10 M₣ per planet you own or lose 2 prestige
(*) in the interest of fairness, FIFO is modified here to mean  “Anyone who submits in the first 24 hours has an equal chance of being picked, after 24 hours it is first-come-first-served”

Debt and bankruptcy: if you are unable (or unwilling) to fulfil your contractual obligations your demesne is terminated, and your property (except prestige) is sold off in an auction, which will be used to repay your debts. It is illegal to try and give away your property to other players when a bankruptcy is imminent and such actions will be reversed and the player banned from rejoining.
During the auction you may use money, as well as the required resources (which are equivalent to money on a Power Point for Power Point basis.)

Attacking other players (or NPCs) will cost you prestige, depending on how well you can make the case for having to attack them.

Falling below 0 prestige makes you a traitor to the Empire and will likely result in your demise at the hands of the Emperor and his lackeys.

Winning Conditions: Either:
Whoever has the most prestige at the death of the previous Emperor is crowned the new Emperor (or Empress.) This is a random time limit, that has a mean time to happen of 24 turns and will be preceded by the "Emperor grows old" and "Emperor is ill" events in that order.
Or, if current owners of the 4 Imperial Planets agree on  a new Emperor, he or she is crowned immideately.

any interaction that requires GMs attention needs to be marked with the words "ACTACTACT". This applies to:
  • fulfilling missions
  • exploration
  • colonization
  • war declaration
this does not apply to:
  • trade (whether with the league or another player)
  • making/signing a contract
  • running planet production
If in doubt, better mark it, and I will correct you.

List of known worlds
Link to Discord (this is optional, but players are encouraged to join.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 01:58:03 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Space Lords II (recruiting prospective space lords)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 01:12:09 pm »

Need to choose start, haven't played the last one so not sure what would work
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 02:22:34 pm »

Recommended start is 2 planets + resources to run them.
You may, for example, take an mining planet, a manufacturing planet, 2 food, 3 ore and 75M₣.
or a farming planet, a mining planet, 1 food, 1 ore, 1 fleet and 75M₣.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 02:31:34 pm »

Spoiler: Chia Interstellar (click to show/hide)
I will throw my hat in. (E: made small change)

I will be in the market for food, and intend to sell charts and machines.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 02:34:20 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 03:13:01 pm »

Jughashvili and Associates
Spoiler: holdings (click to show/hide)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 11:12:54 am »

Spoiler: Cancer Planeta (click to show/hide)

I hereby formally declare my vassalage to Nuke.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 11:40:57 am »

Spoiler: Cancer Planeta (click to show/hide)

I hereby formally declare my vassalage to Nuke.
I will accept this offer. I’ll write up a proper contract once I’m back behind a computer, and not limited to a phone. Basic idea being that I will run evictedSaint’s domain as a separate entity from my own, and not just merge them. Preferential trading will occur, but I won’t just take stuff from eS without giving something in return.
Long Live United Forenia!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 01:10:53 pm »

I don't think you can do anything more than Tric did with me last game.
EDIT: Prestige Power of Attorney for reference

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 03:19:01 pm »

I don't think you can do anything more than Tric did with me last game.
No reason Saint couldn't contractually agree to do whatever Nuke says with some penalty.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 07:53:22 am »

Need to choose start, haven't played the last one so not sure what would work
Are you joining?

Going to give this a couple more days, and then we can start.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 11:42:53 am »

Yeah, sorry, question, if I have food, do I need to feed as many planets as I can?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 01:12:23 pm »

Absolutely not. Denizens of space understand food is hard to come by and will try and feed themselves (instead of working.)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 02:16:36 pm »

Spoiler: Count of the voids (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 02:23:58 pm by Rockeater »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 02:59:04 pm »

Spoiler: Count of Two Marches (click to show/hide)

Was thinking of going Shipyard or Manufacturing Planet, but all these fleets are gonna need ore as fuel so there might be a market there.

Edit: Changed my mind to go with a recruitment planet.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:23:11 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 11:52:29 am »

I'm probably going to regret this...

Spoiler: Blacksand Industries (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31