Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: [TOWN WIN] A Horrible Game of Cults, or "Kill Fallacy Yesterday" (9)  (Read 14241 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: A Horrible Game of Cults, or "Kill Fallacy Yesterday" (9) [BEGIN]
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 09:04:09 am »

The year: 3600. The eldest gods of Earth have long since left for fresh passion projects, and the desperate last-ditch pay-to-win campaigns implemented by the new owners just aren't turning a profit anymore. The last maintainers have somberly decided to terminate the project. One last hope is offered: if a unanimous decision can be reached among eight chosen candidates, the maintainers have agreed to transfer ownership of Earth to the fans, who can continue to run community servers. The opportunity to control the entire Earth is a tempting one, however, and, while everyone pays lip-service to the ideal of a free and open-source Earth, some of the chosen candidates hope to keep Earth proprietary so they can finally implement lootboxes and wring a little more money out of the playerbase. Only a desperate struggle of persuasion over the hearts and minds of the eight candidates can determine the future of Earth...
Yet amidst all this, one extra player has infiltrated the all-important corporate meeting. According to rumor, this individual spent billions of dollars (about $3.50 in today's currency) on a super-limited-edition realistic cat outfit DLC only minutes before the announcement of the server closure; filled with invidious rage over not only this wasted opportunity, but a whole lifetime of watching furry dreams slip away, the mystery player's only desire is to stall the negotiations until the server maintainers run out of money and have no choice but to put an end to everyone's fun.

Ten days of server funds remain. Unless you are the Serial Molester, you win when everyone (except the Serial Molester) shares your alignment, no matter what that might be. Whether you choose to fight for open- or closed-source is your own decision. Well, except insofar as it's actually the decision of other players voting to change your alignment.

Day 1 has begun. It will end on or around this time tomorrow, or possibly sooner if all votes have been cast. I still have a sleep disorder, but I'll do my best to keep a reasonable pace.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Re: A Horrible Game of Cults, or "Kill Fallacy Yesterday" (9+)
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2022, 09:11:55 am »

The corporate battle for Earth commences.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 09:17:56 am »

Looking at the OP, I don't think there's any situation in which every currently town player wins but not every currently mafia player does, or vice versa. Weird roles might interfere with this, but it'd have to be something extreme like a 3p convert. So essentially, the two groups share* a win condition, so are of the same alignment*.

(I'm going to append a * on the end of words to indicate they are being used in a meta way, referring to the actual conditions-under-which-we-win, not our official alignments or wincons. I suggest everyone else do the same or something similar, or this will get confusing fast.)

Given the above, I think town-mafia cooperation is the order of the day. The question becomes whether or not we want to convert ourselves to town or mafia.

There's a lot of unknowns concerning third party abilities, so be careful with claims. Think slowly about how hiding your ability or alignment could help defend us against 3p machinations before revealing anything.
One wheel short of a wagon

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 09:25:11 am »

I interpret it differently. The third party is a wildcard factor who may cause a collective loss for both Town and the Cult, but that by itself does not intrinsically mean Town and Cult should be allies; if by 10 days one has more numbers than the other, then one loses and one wins.

We're going to have to zero in on the Cult members if we want to win this game.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2022, 09:29:42 am »

Uh... how does the third party cause the collective loss then?

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2022, 09:37:09 am »

Because the 3rd Party's own objective is to ensure its own victory.

There are three teams in here: The Town, Cult, and the 3rd Party. We have to be on the lookout for the 3rd Party, but we also have to be aware of the Cult and stop them from doing conversions on the side. If the Cult has more members than us by 10 Days, then we lose. Once and if the Town secures the Cult, then it'd be easier to blockade the 3rd Party if we find out who it is.

On another note, I theorize that the 3rd Party may have a Kill ability; while both the Town and Cult only have conversion and any other Role ability they were assigned by Maximum Spin.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2022, 09:45:26 am »

Ten days of server funds remain. Unless you are the Serial Molester, you win when everyone (except the Serial Molester) shares your alignment, no matter what that might be.

You sure about that Lidku?

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 10:09:00 am »

My initial viewpoint that we're against the Cult, along with the 3rd Party, comes from this, in the OP post:
One side or the other must win within a time limit proportional to the number of players, or everyone is doomed!

Also the quote you bring up doesn't disprove what I've said. It infers that you win the game when everyone that shares your alignment, no matter what that might be (Town or Cult), has that alignment until the end of the game. It doesn't mean that Town and Cult are allies in this. It was just laying down the end goal objective from a second-person viewpoint. Though admittedly it's kinda confusing and just my personal interpretation of it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 10:13:31 am »

Ok... seriously starting to suspect Lidku is the SM.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2022, 10:16:12 am »

Guys, guys, guys. You're getting off-subject.

I am a Cultist.

Ok... seriously starting to suspect Lidku is the SM.
Stfu, you're wrong. That's exactly what my win condition states as well.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 10:17:06 am »

Why would you want to reveal yourself? :o

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2022, 10:19:29 am »

Webadict is generally very funny.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 10:19:50 am »

Because being voted and being recruited are two different but similar things. I can't control the hidden vote, but I CAN control the public one. So converting to Town is better for all of us.

So, the question I have is: Do you think I'm the SM?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2022, 10:22:10 am »

Actually, that's not entirely true. I COULD control the hidden vote by publicly stating who the Cult should vote for, but I have to generally declare the direction the Cult vote should go regardless.

You guys think this is Cult vs. Town? You're wrong. It's Cult vs. SM vs. Town, and our win-goals rely on the Cult and Town finding the SM, and THEN working together to make sure the Town and Cult are one alignment at the end.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2022, 10:25:29 am »

Even if the Serial Molester was found, how would the Cult & Town deal with them? Unless someone from the Cult & Town has an undisclosed Kill ability ("Vigilante"-analogue)?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22