Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does a Succesion Game work, And how Can I set up one?  (Read 882 times)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
How does a Succesion Game work, And how Can I set up one?
« on: June 10, 2022, 03:02:58 pm »

I enjoyed reading the sagas of Small-Hands and Boat-Murdered. But there seems to be a few details that I don't understand(Like "Dorfing"). Could someone please explain to me all of the details of a usual succesion game? Also, I would Like to know How to set one up.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:28:30 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: How does a Succesion Game work, And how Can I set up one?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 03:06:43 pm »

The basics,

A succesion game is a game that one person plays and then passes it on after a certain ingame or irl time. Hence its a succesion as its passed down. The normal sucession in fort mode is playing a fort for one year, uploading the save and the next person downloads and plays it. This goes on until the game ends or the fort dies.

Dorfing is asking to become a named dwarf in the game. So say i want to be dorfed, the person playing will rename a dwarf to my username. Just a bit of fun and interesting to see what a dwarf ai you is doing.

There are different types of succesion but the 1 ingame year succession is the common one and the one you have listed. To start, create a world, play it for a ingame year, make a forum post explaining, update the first post as the game goes and upload the save to filedepot.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 03:08:45 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does a Succesion Game work, And how Can I set up one?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 04:42:33 pm »

yeah. the only effort is playing the first year and setting up the narrative hook for players. which is itself optional, many succession games start with nothing more than a save and a "here you go" !

when posting the save, post to Dwarf Fortress File Depot and .zip only the save folder itself.

in many ways, the embark itself will determine the longevity and pull of the fortress. Look at smallhands, designed for FPS in the long term via 1x1 and simple, partially tree-d terrain.

there has been a lack of games and players as of late, and I think it's a problem that feeds into itself . so I highly encourage you to start a new one