Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing With Littering / Discarded Items In Dwarf Fortress ?  (Read 1944 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile

It seems like no matter what I do, my dorks fill their rooms and hallways with anything they can get their kleptomaniac hands on. Food, jewelry, clothing, tools - you name it, it is probably discarded on the floor.
 How do you deal with massive littering issues? I'm getting tired of using the
cleanowned scattered
autodump
unforbid all

commands every 5 to 10 minutes.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Angry Parakeet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing With Littering / Discarded Items In Dwarf Fortress ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 06:10:03 pm »

The simplest solution is to put as many people as possible into the military, with a uniform that prohibits normal clothing. Even leather armour is fine for this purpose, if you're looking to outfit lots of civillians - it's light, common material, and it doesn't degrade on regular use like normal clothing, so eventually the endless stream of people swapping and storing clothes will be slowed significantly. Other than that, limit the amount of old raggedy clothes in your fortress by trading them away or dumping them directly into an atom smasher. Just make sure there's enough to cover everyone's butts.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 07:21:27 pm »

I trade them away the moment there's even a single x and that helps but unfortunately some littering is unavoidable.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 06:56:50 pm »

I trade them away the moment there's even a single x and that helps but unfortunately some littering is unavoidable.

DFHack's sorting of the trade list makes this super easy.  Just filter by name, 'x' and cntrl+<Enter> marks the whole page.  Just be careful not to trade away any prized ibex leather goods you might want to keep.

If it's not worn socks, it's blood and vomit all over my forts.  Dwarven life is messy

You might try making a nudist colony.  I'd expect stress issues there, so the military option seems the best way to deal with clothing mess (aside from your miners and woodcutters)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 06:59:05 pm by Schmaven »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 12:28:43 am »

I rely on having a few dorfs who have no real tasks other than cleaning/toting, and of course trader cleanup. There's always one or two items scattered, but very few, and I can dump those (I swear I'm the only player who ever uses dumps for dumping) and then reallow them when the traders arrive to have them traded out. Other than the occasional xX+sock+Xx every two years, I don't have scattered stuff clogging up the fort, and I don't use uniforms or nudists to achieve this.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 05:11:59 am »

A refuse stockpile that accepts worn clothing helps. I usually then link it to a garbage dump that's designated on a mechanism-linked hatch above a pool of magma. Every so often I have someone pull the lever, and all the crap falls into the magma and is destroyed.

Owned food being littered about, is caused by squads being told to carry food. They claim some food, then for whatever reason drop it. Solved by telling military squads not to carry any food.

I usually have my citizens rooms equipped with a cabinet and a chest. They'll put owned items in them, which at least tends to limit their littering to their own room.