Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - A Story  (Read 3642 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - A Story
« on: June 14, 2022, 01:36:43 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 1

“The oldest idea was, to many listeners, pretty funny.  The world, you see, was just one in a series of worlds.  Tests by the universe to see what it could make.  The current world, was in fact, the remains of all the earlier worlds.

“Which is why the current world was known as the World of Bones.  It was made from the collected failures of other worlds, older worlds, and that was why it felt so….gloomy and already worn out.

“And many assumed it would not be the last world. 

“Fun, no?”

“Shut up Fikod,” the Expedition Leader of the told the miner.  She didn’t need the members of the Autumn of Blood getting on each other’s nerves.  Not at the very period of time they needed to work together.

Fikod Luslemletmos just grunted.  It shrugged and added, “Right, right.  Let’s get to work.  I’d just as soon not have anything too exciting happen today.”  It searched the wagon to find a pick.

The other Miner, Kib, had already found it’s pick.  Kib handled its tool carefully and examined it for imperfections.  “We’re far away from our homeland.  We should be careful not to waste.  We don’t want to starve to death due to our own stupidly.”

The Expedition Leader snorted.  “You think something will happen?  We just arrived here.  I feel just fine.”

She lied of course.  Her two miners were NOT the best miners as they were quick to tire.  That’s what happens when members are selected by a bloody game!

The Woodworker, Kadol, was already grabbing her copper axe and eyeing the nearest saguaro.

“I look forward to starting a new life here,” she said aloud.  “An artisan, their materials and the tools to shape them!”

“Stop talking in the third person,” remarked the Farmer.  Solon wasn’t sure why he was out here.  He was a Farmer and there wasn’t much in the way of plants out here.  Truly, much of his work would be in underground chambers. 

And there was surface water to collect from. 

But it still upset him.  Instead of carving out a proper fortress in a mountain they would be digging into the earth like ants!

“Don’t like the wasteland?” said Kadol with a smirk.

“I’m at my best under pressure,” the Farmer announced with a rude gesture.

Then there was the Stoneworker.  The Leader eyed Geshud as it just sat in the wagon and tried to find shade.

“Wouldn’t it be great to just take my life off and do nothing for the rest of my days?” Geshud said.

The Leader sighed.  A lazy Stoneworker.  On top of it being lazy, it was also quick to tire, and lacked creativity.

Then there was the Peasant.  Nomal who seemed to be the only one excited about being out here.

“Why are you all whining,”  he said with a smile.  “You all sound like elves.  We all need change in our life.  I need some more excitement in my life!”

The Leader sighed.  “Let’s get to work folks.  You all know what you need to do.  Dig, cut, build.  And found someplace to put the water buffalo cow and the two-humped camel.”

“Eh…what am I doing?” asked Nomal. 

The Leader sighed. She stood up tall and announced, “I claim these lands in the name of the Autumn of Blood!  And therefore call it the Abbey of Blossoming.”

“What a stupid name,” murmured one of the dwarfs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Erased Continent there was the Desert of Equaling.  A rocky wasteland which was very hot and where plants were scarce.  At least there was a stream called the Matchedcharred the Thin Leaf.

Scouts had reported that there was soil, clay, and signs of metals and flux stone in the ground.

Truly a wonderful place to set up a colony.  At least when compared to the rest of the continent.  So the Cloudy Abbey had sent out the seven dwarfs, selected by the ancient game of Duck-Duck-Goose, to colonize it.

And so the seven dwarfs arrived in the Desert of Equaling on 15th of Granite, of the year 1050, and started their grand adventure.

They had plenty of supplies.  At least it was felt they had.  No animals, though, besides the two needed to pull the wagon.

And so starts the tale of a desert colony on the World of Bones!

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - A Story
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 08:01:07 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 2

Understanding the Gods, the Spirits, and the Elder Beings who ruled the World made up many fields of study.

Scholars studied the stars, the movement of the planets, the insides of birds and cattle.  Many believed such things were too structured.  Understanding the plans of the Powers above, and below, was not something that could be arranged or planned for.

Patterns that could be understood were likely also designed to deceive.  Only through chaos and random calculations could the true desires of the Gods and Goddesses be revealed.

So the ancient game of Duck-Duck-Goose had been invented by the Priests.  It was a method to pick new Military Captains, Performers, and Brewers. 

In this case, to pick the seven colonists, those on the lists to be picked were formed into seven circles.  And seven children were picked to carry out the selection.

None of the children every used the same method.  Some had a favorite number or just picked a individual totally at random.  Some picked a individual they liked or somebody they hated.

It didn’t matter what method was used.  What mattered was the method was random and there was no pattern.  And therefore the person selected was picked by the Gods themselves.

Many of the younger generation said it was all bogus.  But nobody paid attention to the younger generation and their silly made up words.

Those picked for this settlement, therefore, may not have been the BEST selection on paper.  But they had been picked by those in the Heavens and, therefore, were the best for the jobs.  Or, that's what the Priests said.

The Expedition Leader, Momuz Stakudnosing, wasn’t a bad pick.  She was novice spear and marks dwarf.  She was also a novice shield user and fighter.  But most importantly she was also a novice diagnostician, novice appraiser, novice organizer, novice record keeper, novice consoler, and a novice leader.

Though she was quick to tire and slow to heal.  Funny enough a problem she had with the other settlers.

Then there were the Miners, Fikod Luslemletmos and Kib Sanrebkadol, both proficient miners and proficient furnace operators.

But Kib was also a competent musician and percussionist.  Which, if it could get something to play, might be useful.

Then there was the Woodworker, Kadol Mozirkol, who respected talented artisans but her dream was to raise a family.  She was a competent wood cutter, carpenter, and wood crafter.  She was also a novice wood burner.   On top of those skills she was also a adequate musician and a novice percussionist.  Maybe the settlement could get a band for any future tavern?

Too bad she was clumsy.  It might be a barrier in becoming an artisan herself.

The Stoneworker, named Geshud Athserdakost, while coming across as somewhat lazy DID respect hard work and good craftsmanship.  It was novice engraver, mason, herbalist, and stone crafter.  It was if, at an early age, the dwarf had tried a few career options.  Just to see what it really wanted to do.

The poor Farmer, Solon Athelet, who had found himself in the middle of a wasteland, was not only a competent grower but was also a fish dissector, butcher, and tanner.  He was also a adequate brewer and cook.

And a adequate dancer!

Last and least was the Peasant, Nomal Thobzuden, who was totally unskilled.

Peasants were the mug half full or half empty.  On one hand they could to be used to fill any role, any job, in the new settlement.  And they would likely learn fast.  If not eaten by predators or killed by invaders.

On the other hand they had no skills and were pretty worthless at the start.

And so these were the seven dwarfs who started out on the great adventure!  Would they start a new fortress in the middle of the wasteland?  Or become bones in the middle of nowhere? 

Only the future can know!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 04:28:26 am »

A fortress in the desert is something I don't think I've seen recently, so I shall watch this one.

Also why are some of the dwarves labeled as it?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 08:07:14 am »

A fortress in the desert is something I don't think I've seen recently, so I shall watch this one.

Also why are some of the dwarves labeled as it?

They have no gender.  Also they have no fear and can see without eyes if they need to.  A third gender.   I like modding things.  :D

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 03:31:07 am »

That's pretty neat, are there any other modded creatures or are they a secret for now?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 10:48:09 am »

That's pretty neat, are there any other modded creatures or are they a secret for now?

No modded creatures.  I just tried my best to make a interesting world. 

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 12:17:04 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 3

“Right!” exclaimed the Leader as she turned to face the colonists.

“Let’s get started,” said Momuz.  “Kadol, cut down some trees!”

“Those arn’t trees.”

“Shut up and cut them down anyway,” replied Momiz.  “Miners, dig a hole and see what we have to work with!”

“Righto,” remarked Fikod as both Miners picked up their picks and debated on a spot to start on.

“The rest of you…organize the animals and see if there is any plants to collect,” the Leader added.

And so the Miners found a hill, dug into the side, then went down.  Then down again. 

Then they started to dig rooms.

The Woodcuter chopped down two of the strange ‘trees’.

“This are going to make very bad beds,” she said.  “They have pointy leafs…ouch!”

By the end of early spring there was two levels made.  There was a working still, a carpenter workshop, and a kitchen.  Along with two farming plots.  One which would just grow the plump helmets that Dwarf civilization was founded on.

They had even started making beds out of the weird trees.

“Ouch….I can’t sleep on these!” said Nomal has he hauled one of pokey beds to the stockpile.

“Well, get use to it,” said Kadol.  “Because those are the only trees I saw out there.  And they are rare to boot.  We may need to make rock pots instead of barrels.”

And so mid-spring came to the settlement.  With no animal attacks or invaders or walking dead.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 08:00:51 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 4

It was decided to expand on the stockpiles to get everything underground.  And to link the upper level and lower level with another ramp so that the farming area could be walled off from the main tunnel. 

The Leader wanted to make a couple of draw bridges there, sooner or latter, to make a proper airlock/defensive barrier.

And small office was ordered to be dug out for the Leader who would also be the manager and book keeper.  Which meant doors and tables and chairs had to be made.

So a Mason Workshop was ordered to be made.  As well as a Craftsdwarf’s Workshop.

By the 1st of Felsite the office was finished and all the beds.  Though the bedrooms needed cabinets and some didn’t have a door.

This office allowed the Leader to become the manager and book keeper.  It also doubled as her private dining room.

And the beginnings of a dining area was being dug out.  For the others of course.

And the Farmer’s Workshop was finished and had started making cheese.  And that was now secure.  Enemies could not just access it from the main entry now.

There was still some problems.  The water source was too far away for comfort.  And it was unknown if it had any fish in it.  Maybe somebody had to be accessed to fishing it?  Any extra food would be a blessing.

And so late spring came with things looking good.  If only they had some more things they could brew and cook.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 11:15:25 am »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 5

Late Spring started with the Leader, Momuz, trying to figure out inventory.

It seemed they had lots to drink but not much to eat. 

The Leader ordered a Butcher Shop and other related shops be made.  So that the Two-humped Camel, which was male and could not be milked, could be killed.  Its meat would help bring protein to the Dwarfs’ diet.

The dining area soon had a few tables and chairs in it.  Along with a small stockpile of drink and bag of mugs.  So it was turned into a tavern and, after some debate, was called The Mechanical Chocolate

Once the Butcher Shop was finished, shortly after the Trade Depot was finished, she ordered the death of the camel.  Which was killed right when summer came.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 06:35:29 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 06:36:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 6

Summer had come.  To the wasteland.  It really didn’t seem to change the landscape much.  Not to the eyes of the settlers. 

At least the Butcher Shop and Tanner’s Shop was finished.  The Leather Shop was still being worked on.

And it was likely the tavern would have to be enlarged. 

Then the Leader ordered the building of a Fishery and a Mechanic’s Workshop. 

She wasn’t happy about the last two.  Because she knew that having somebody fish and somebody make mechanisms meant other jobs would likely go undone.

And at this point all jobs were important.

At least the tavern gave Momuz a place to relax and enjoy her dwarven beer in a locally made rock salt mug.  It really added to the favor of the beer.  Yummy.

In fact things seemed to be doing well.  Having good meals, a nice bedroom, everything was going fine so far.

The Woodworker, Kadol, had taken up fishing.  But was fishing no where near the fishing spot selected at the river.  She had picked a pond and it was unknown if there was even fish in it.

The Leader ordered a small, thin, bridge to be built over the river.  Well, it was a stream.  But either way once finished it could be a good spot for fishing.

Then there was some news.  A Gray Langur had been spotted.   And where there was one there was likely more.  Luckily all the goods had been safely secured underground already.

A Screw Press and a Millstone were ordered to be built near the Farmer’s Shop.

And another of one of those strange trees were ordered to be chopped down.

Mid summer had come and the bridge was complete.  It was assigned as the place to collect water and fish.  And there WAS fish in the stream.  Milkfish had been spotted.

Now only if the dwarfs would obey and fish there instead of the ponds.  Which held no life.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:57:55 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 06:30:47 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 7

By mid Summer the menu had expanded, even included cheese stew, and the Leader was starting to feel a little relaxed.  Now if they could just make an airlock to keep out dangerous animals and invaders.

Though Kadol finally started fishing on the bridge.  FINALLY!

Then on the 9th of Malachite the settlement became excited.  Migrants had been spotted to the east.  More workers!  Er…citizens. 

The first one over the horizon was a Glassmaker called Vabok Obokigam.  It wasn’t unwanted.  The area HAD lots of sand.  Making glass would be a good industry.  If they had fuel.

The next was a Weaver erith Kolmezum.  Once again not a unwanted migrant.  Sooner or later weaving new clothes would likely be needed.

And that was it.  Besides a Bard, named Likot Therlethbim, who showed up to, well maybe, visit the tavern.  It was unknown why she was here.  Maybe she was a spy…to…er….figure out what was in the cheese stew?  Naaa...she was a Dwarf.  And you can always trust a Dwarf.  Right?

She did carry a wind instrument.  Unless it was some kind of weapon?  Hmmmmm…..

The Weaver chatted with the Bard and found out that, yes, she was interested in the Mechanical Chocolate. 

Also limonite had been found.  In other words, iron ore.  If only they had MORE fuel. Or any fuel.

“We need wood,” grumbled the Leader.  “Go cut down everything!  Well, not everything.  But find some of those weird trees and turn them into useful logs.”

So soon erith was helping with the mining and announced he was now a Miner.  Which was okay by the Leader.  Do what you like, right?

So the Weaver was now a Miner.  And the Glassworker just kind of helped where help was needed.  At least neither were outright lazy.

Nearing the end of the month the Miners were also finding obsidian. 

The Leader pondered that.  Couldn’t they make stone swords out of obsidian?

And then late summer came.  Maybe the colony would survive the year?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 06:51:20 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 06:57:43 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 8

With Autumn just around the corner the Dwarfs realized they needed something to export.  Maybe more mugs or mechanism?  They made good exports, right?  And everybody loved rock salt mugs, right?  RIGHT?!?!?

The Leader also ordered that a Metalsmith’s Forge and a Wood Furnace be made.  If they could get fuel, by turning the strange trees into charcoal, they could produce iron.  IRON!  Everybody loved iron.  Right?!?!

As the Glassmaker already knew about operating a furnace it was decided it would also be the new metal smith.  Iron smith?  Black smith?  Whatever.

Still, the Dwarfs were starting to socialize in the tavern.  There was even a poetry session.  They were enjoying life.  How weird....surely there was work to do!

On the other hand the Woodcutter wasn’t cutting any trees.  She was too busy fishing. 

Well, at least mussel biscuits were now on the menu.  Ewww…

Still, she was told to stop fishing.

After some drinking, eating, listening to poems, and cleaning some fish she finally started cutting down trees.  Which was good because the others REALLY needed logs to make stone swords, charcoal, and beds.

And then autumn came.

The Leader checked out the stocks.  There were plenty of mechanisms and mugs.  Which was good!

The settlement was doing well.  Also the metal industry was about to begin.

“Excellent,” remarked the Leader on seeing the inventory and tapping her fingers together.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:19:48 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 03:11:45 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 9

Momuz realized the settlement needed a Broker.  But who would the Broker be?

Amazingly the Glassmaker, Vabok, was the dwarf best fit for the job.  Outside of Momuz.

As Momuz already wore so many hats it was decided the Glassmaker would become the Broker.

As the dwarfs tried to figure out how to turn the obsidian rocks into swords a thief was detected in the colony.  A Kobold.

The Leader ordered two others to join her, the Stonecrafter and the Mason, in the Turquoise Blots and to attack the thief.

“ATTACK!” she ordered.  The thief ran before anybody could catch it.

“We need barracks,” the Leader murmured as the Squad stood down.

So as more chambers were dug out to collect more obsidian rocks, and to make the barracks, the outpost liaison and the caravan had both arrived on the 10th of Limestone.

As mugs and mechanisms were moved to the Depot the Leader met with the liaison and, basically, asked for wood to be imported.

In return the liaison asked for short swords, bars, earrings, and other items.  Such as fish that the dwarfs could likely supply the Mountain Homes.

Back at the Depot the mugs and mechanisms, which was worth 1,160 units, was traded by the Broker for two war hammers, a mace, two bins of cloth, and a lot of food.  Leaving the caravan a profit of 173 units.

With all the cloth a Clothier’s Shop was ordered to be made.  And a Smelter was also ordered to be made.

As the barracks were finished more migrants showed up.

This time from the west.  A female Classmaker named Kulet Netstakes was the first to be spotted..

The next to show was a Methalsmith named Urdim Lashflaxen.

Then there was a male Woodworker of the name of Nil Namedgalley.

Then another female dwarf appeared.  A Peasant named Bembul Laboredtrusts.

After her came a female child named Vucar Hammerfind.

And another male child named Asmel Slingcrests.

There was also a Armorer named Etur Zatthudcatten.

And a pet Blue Peachick.

“Children?” mumbled the Leader.  “Make more bedrooms and also we may need a few toys.”

And so mid-autumn came as the Traders started to prepare to leave.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:19:09 pm by callisto8413 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 06:14:36 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 10

On the 8th of Sandstone the traders started to leave on their journey back home.

And it turned out the Armorer liked to tell stories in the tavern.  And many of the dwarfs liked to listen.

Then a human showed up.  A male, by the looks of it, of the name of Lubbe Trammeledstern.  He seemed to be a traveler.  It was unknown why he had come to visit the colony.

“You sure he is male?” asked the Leader as she watched the human approach.  “He has no beard.  And seems kind of thin.  Maybe he is a child?”

Whoever he was he was unarmed.  In fact he had nothing but what he wore.

Funny enough he arrived just in time to listen to the dwarfs in the tavern singing.  Seems he had come to visit the tavern.  Like the bard.  Who had already left.

It was getting close to winter and the iron industry was working.  The first iron weapons were be adding to the pile of obsidian short shorts and other imported weapons.

It was decided that the Peasant, Bembul, would be allowed to fish from the bridge on the river.  Well, the stream.

Another human showed up.  A bard this time of the name of Eman Edinpuji.    The dwarfs thought she was a girl but you never knew with the humans.  They all looked so thin and fragile. 

Then winter arrived.  Not that anybody noticed.  The plants changed their colors, yes, but it was still warm and there was no snow.  Only rain.

“Time has moved swiftly,” remarked the Leader.  "Almost twice as fast.  Oh well..."

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 05:06:49 pm »

Dwarf Fortress - The World Of Bones - Chapter 11

So winter had come.  Not that it seemed to change the landscape.  Not a snowflake seemed to show up.  Nor did the stream freeze over.  At least not yet.  Not in early winter.

The Leader ordered the dwarfs start putting the Milling Room together.

It was also noticed the only fresh meat were the mussels from the river.

“We need more meat,” the murmured the Leader as she sat in her office and looked over the inventory lists she had inked on the walls.

“I know….the squad,” she said with a smile.  “We’ll hunt.  Gain meat and skills at the same time!!!!”

Kangaroos had been spotted wandering outside and the Leader ordered their deaths!

Then she countered the order.  Because the DEAD WALKED!

“Protect the colony!” she screamed as she sent herself, and the squad to fight the dead.  “Everybody else in the colony!  Into the TAVERN!”

But for some reason the other two squad members decided they wanted to train so the Leader made a run for the colony and ordered the doors closed.

As the doors closed one Recruit had decided to go OUTSIDE again and cross the stream.  Maybe it got the orders to fight, late, and turned around and went outside?!?!

It was also assumed that it, Geshud Atherdakost, was a moron.

It did was it was trained to do when cut off from the others.  Win the war!

It ended badly.

On top of that it seemed more than one individual had gone missing.  Maybe the airlock had crushed somebody?

But with the airlock doors closed there was now little the dead could do to the rest of the populace.

The Turquoise Blots were reformed with the Glassmaker, the Leader, and the Broker.  As the other squad member was the missing individual.

From the sounds of it, from above, the undead went after the poor water buffalo.

“There goes our milk and cheese!” complained the Farmer, Solon Athelet, with a pout.

Then the undead attacked the kangaroos.

At this time the first memorial slab was finished and put up in a cleared area.  It was for the member of the squad who had gone missing.  No matter how the death had come about nobody wanted grumpy ghosts.

Noise from above suggested the dead were now stabbing the peacock child to death.

And trying to kill a desert tortoise.  And doing a bad job of it.

Then buzzards had shown up and the undead had started fighting them!

Then the second memorial slab was placed next to a, as yet, unfilled coffin.  For the Recruit who had tried, and failed, to win the war.

On the other hand there was evidence that one of the undead had also been crushed by the airlock right when it was closing.  So, that was good.  The idea of it getting in horrified the Leader. 

The fact was the visitors were starting to go a tad stir-crazy didn't help.

Then mid-winter came and many wondered if they would live to see spring?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:54:21 pm by callisto8413 »
Pages: [1] 2 3