Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to cook onions?  (Read 1648 times)

Tachytaenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to cook onions?
« on: June 17, 2022, 07:51:42 am »

Lots of gathered onion plants from centuries ago in my fort. The plant whole isn't cookable but its bulb growths are. How can I extract the bulbs from them to be cooked?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to cook onions?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:58:20 am »

A lot of surface plants are broken in various ways, but I don't remember if onions are among those, If you don't get any bulbs while harvesting wild ones during the latter half of summer then they're probably in that set.

Tachytaenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 11:43:53 am »

Gotcha. So, wait for Toady basically.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 12:00:49 pm »

The only gotcha on the wiki for onions is that growing them in a farm plot doesn’t produce products that produce seeds.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 02:29:04 am »

Well, Toady probably won't do anything about it before tackling an agriculture overhaul, which is something intended eventually, but beyond everything that's sort of scheduled. Meanwhile, just ignore everything that's broken.

Steampunkgears

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 06:22:46 pm »

I have been doing a lot of custom modding lately but mainly with animals. I'm now interested in this topic and will see what I can dig up. If I do find anything I will be sure to edit this message.

Edit:
 After looking through the files and wiki, there has been an active attempt (if not still updated) to make a lot of plants more realistic to seasons/growth and parts. I compared to the original config files and to be honest the updated ones on the wiki make way more sense to me than the original data. The original data is kind of messy but it does make sense to me somewhat.

I went ahead and applied the changes to my game files for onions and potatoes. If I get the chance to plant onions and see if it works then I will post here again. Supposedly the changes make it to where onion seeds are obtainable.
If you are interested in trying the same thing its pretty easy to make the changes but that is up to you. I know people don't like to deviate from the base game. The way I see it is if its not working right then what harm is there in fixing it for personal immersion/enjoyment.

This page explains what the purpose and goal of the modifications: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:Expanded_Plants

This page is for the onions: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modification:Expanded_Plants/Plants/Onion
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 01:51:35 am by Steampunkgears »