Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How NOT to be Afraid After Experiencing Trauma?  (Read 1419 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
How NOT to be Afraid After Experiencing Trauma?
« on: June 17, 2022, 01:53:37 pm »

Wiki states that inability to get emotionally attached to others is just not enough to resist all negative emotions upon killing a sapient.

From what I know playing as character with [NOFEAR] or being transformed into werebeast cancels out this emotion completely but still I want to know what personality traits can protect from it. Having maxed out [BRAVERY], [VIOLENT] and [CRUELTY] with no [ALTRUISM] doesn't seem to help. I don't want to have a need to cause trouble. Is it otherwise the only way?
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT to be Afraid After Experiencing Trauma?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 02:15:40 pm »

By witnessing sapient or violent death enough (the act of dying, not just seeing the corpse after the fact), a dwarf will eventually get 'doesn't really care about anything anymore' which will do what you're looking for. Making a dwarf watch a siege or two will typically be enough to give them the trait, but emotionally fragile dwarves might get pretty unhappy from having a bunch of siege death thoughts loaded onto them.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 02:32:21 pm »

One of my forts fell to a tantrum spiral that started when a dwarf, that had witnessed a single death (courtesy of an elephant on embark), dwelt on it and eventually started murdering people (funny how nobody cared about the first two murders…).  This was in the current version with DFHack and Modest Mod (base mod + Tooltips).  It’s be nice to know how to deal with this in the future (y’know, in case my starting seven get attacked by hippos that kill everyone except for the miners and the Expedition Leader -who is crippled, goes insane, and dies anyway-).
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 02:04:21 pm »

One of my forts fell to a tantrum spiral that started when a dwarf, that had witnessed a single death (courtesy of an elephant on embark), dwelt on it and eventually started murdering people (funny how nobody cared about the first two murders…).  This was in the current version with DFHack and Modest Mod (base mod + Tooltips).  It’s be nice to know how to deal with this in the future (y’know, in case my starting seven get attacked by hippos that kill everyone except for the miners and the Expedition Leader -who is crippled, goes insane, and dies anyway-).

well, we put the hippos in jail and give the murderer the position of Hammerer. As is tradition.