Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Books made of metal? (or only paper)  (Read 899 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Books made of metal? (or only paper)
« on: June 18, 2022, 09:33:53 pm »

Trying to make a book that's a single item completely made of metal. This is my crude prototype, based off of the scroll item.

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DATACARTRIDGE]
[NAME:data cartridge:data cartridges]
[VALUE:5]
[METAL_MAT]
[TOOL_USE:CONTAIN_WRITING]
[TILE:'-']
[SIZE:200]
[NO_DEFAULT_JOB]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]

When I add this to a world, however, the data cartridges are made from parchment when they spawn, and not metal. I feel like I'm missing something here, if it's even possible at all. The fact it does spawn in the world is encouraging at least, though it might not mean anything when it comes to making it out of the proper material. Ideally it could be narrowed down to a particular metal. The most important thing is that it appears naturally in the world. It would be easy to do this via fort mode interactions, but that's not the goal. I want to replace books and scrolls entirely.

Edit: Removing paper and parchment from the world entirely make the data cartridges spawn from rock and metal, but as this is an extreme option I hesitate to go through with this, but I will if I must. The problem with this method is that I can't seem to control what rock/metal is used to make the cartridge, which is not what I want.

Edit 2: More specifically I suppose what I am trying to do is make all writing-holding objects analogous to scrolls or books be made of the same substance. As this is for an overhaul mod I am willing to twist the game's arm in whatever manner is necessary to achieve this result, it won't negatively impact anything else since I'll have total control over all parts of the raws rather than trying to fit an addition into the vanilla ones. However, it needs to be something that is only used to make books, and not for example clothing as well.

Edit 3: Turns out that if you remove all references to parchment in the game, scrolls will be made out of stone and metal, but never paper, which is weird since paper still exists in the game.

Edit 4: At my wit's end. Maybe I'm missing something crucial but it seems that if you remove a civ's ability to make parchment and nothing else, it will still make stuff out of parchment. Just a way to fix this would be incredibly helpful.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 01:32:47 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2