Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone gaze/look  (Read 901 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone gaze/look
« on: June 19, 2022, 04:28:40 am »

A tag so creatures can turn other creatures into stone with a look. Would be great for megabeasts to rampage around your fort and turn half the population in to dwarf statues. It would be cooler if it was a modifiable or randomized material, so a monster could turn dwarves into marble, vomit, glass or steam.

Obviously I just watched Clash of the Titans and I want gorgons.

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone gaze/look
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 03:36:32 pm »

Yes! +1

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 04:07:14 pm »

This would be a great magic effect for not only megabeasts but secret interactions for the myth & magic update, like mineral or earth spheres, turning enemies into stone.

A very nice parameter would be able to specify item and materials the target turns into, for instance a basalt statue of itself or a gold coin or random cut gemstone or an elm tree.

For balancing modded spells, another value I would want is a number of times struck with the interaction before the transformation fully takes effect. Sometimes it can be difficult to make a low-level spell that is balanced, and using, say, the severity value of 100 or more to be an instant transformation and a value of 50 being transformation after being targeted twice. A paralysis effect can be stuck on there too to simulate a slow transition.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 05:26:53 pm »

Seems a bit too much like webs, for my taste so id be very beadily eying up how it's implemented. Temporary physiological changes are kind of strange but cool territory to explore, like a effect on yourself that gives you ethereality by having none of your tissues be physical anymore would be pretty fun.

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 10:23:24 am »

Sounds good. You could also add a time limit to the effect. Like you turn to stone for a specific time. Or ways to reverse the effect, as long as the statue is not destroyed or lost. Or curses/effects than start with one part of your body and spread. Like a poison or cursed injury. Or slowly/partially turn you into stone, like your skin becomes more and more grey over time, hardens but also slows you down until you can't move anymore but also gives you extra defense before it is completed. This could also be a drawback if you use stone magic or something like that. Like, I imagine with the myths and magic update, you have a dwarf in your fort who worships the god of stone and uses his magic like a cleric from D&D and being exposed to that magic changes his body over time until he becomes a statue and you place him into the temple of his god or something like that. And then, 500 years later, the god of stone awakens his army of stone warriors that he accumulated over centuries for a holy war or something.