Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Dominions 5 Round 06 - The end  (Read 32687 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 06 - Götterdämmerung
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2022, 06:19:51 am »

I do not recall creating a new Bay12 account to require mod approval
It does. I really hope we have volunteer mods and it's not Toady sifting through these.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2022, 08:39:32 am »

The traditional stance on B12 has always been "only trades are binding, but trades ARE binding" as far as I've known. It's what I operate under, and have operated under since the first (miserable) Dom3 game we played here. That said, I certainly make alliances and engage in diplomacy, but my understanding of them is always that at some point we'll turn on each other if one of us gets into a position to go for the win, and we won't generally announce that we're gonna before we do.

In sum: the traditional boilerplate metarules we've generally listed before games always stipulated only trades are actually binding - tho' ofc there IS a social cost to being excessively underhanded.

In my mind, something like an attempted throne rush can be construed as NAP-breaking - if someone wins, everyone else loses, so it is effectively an act of war (or minimally a 'all bets are off' moment). Anyway, it wouldn't exactly be healthy for the game for players to feel bound by diplomatic contracts even if that means handing someone an immediate victory. But outside that specific circumstance, I wouldn't break a NAP just because a person is in a strong position - I'd give forward notice that I am ending it.

The situation is more ambiguous when players agree to a NAP but don't agree to the cooldown period between its ends and the first allowed hostilities... So clarify your NAPs! Then you can kill your old buddies without a guilty conscience.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2022, 08:47:44 am »

A little bit of treachery has always been a part of these games. A brazen betrayal for a turn 11 rush is extra spicy though.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2022, 08:56:04 am »

I'm still salty about that time, back in dom4, when I fought off Jilladilla's army and made him a deal to allow a safe retreat of what was left in exchange for peace. Which they ignored as soon as the remnants were out of harms way.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2022, 10:48:47 am »

I am not looking to have ThtblovesDF kicked out or anything like it.

But if he is getting advantage out of acting in bad faith, it is only fair he get figuratively tagged for it, and get the disadvantages too.

There is "everyone knows this is a FFA at the very end" and there is "I am so dodgy you'd be stupid to ever expect something else from me once you know me".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2022, 10:53:27 am »

I do not recall creating a new Bay12 account to require mod approval
It does. I really hope we have volunteer mods and it's not Toady sifting through these.
I've never known anyone other than Toady & ThreeToe to have that authority, although what they do behind the scenes is unknown.

The traditional stance on B12 has always been "only trades are binding, but trades ARE binding" as far as I've known. It's what I operate under, and have operated under since the first (miserable) Dom3 game we played here. That said, I certainly make alliances and engage in diplomacy, but my understanding of them is always that at some point we'll turn on each other if one of us gets into a position to go for the win, and we won't generally announce that we're gonna before we do.

In sum: the traditional boilerplate metarules we've generally listed before games always stipulated only trades are actually binding - tho' ofc there IS a social cost to being excessively underhanded.

Ah, that sounds correct.  I think we'd typically throw in an exchange of resources into a NAP along with a turn upon which it expires to make it binding.
Anything else is "Oh, hi, I TOTALLY won't be attacking you  ;D ;D ;D"

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2022, 02:07:19 pm »

I noticed there's a "request turn resend" option on the llamaserver page. Is it possible to re-do a submitted turn with that, or is it just functionality in case the first email is lost?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2022, 02:13:10 pm »

The latter, but you can always submit your redone/updated turn and Llamaserver will use that. Llamaserver should process whatever turn file you sent last.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2022, 02:18:46 pm »

I noticed there's a "request turn resend" option on the llamaserver page. Is it possible to re-do a submitted turn with that, or is it just functionality in case the first email is lost?
It's always possible to redo a turn. You can go into the options and click "Redo turn from scratch". And you can always resubmit your turn, as long as you're not last, just by re-mailing the .2h file.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2022, 03:06:06 pm »

Thanks. I also realized after asking that there's an ancient llamaserver FAQ out there with other details as well, for anyone else who's curious: https://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2022, 09:35:42 am »

My so called 'stalking' and 'game prep' was me opening four links accessible from this very thread and checking the first page for his name, after someone he'd backstabbed recognized him from a previous game.

Though he may be in denial, this was literally a consequence of his past behaviour - I haven't the least idea of what his email is.

As for the bit about provinces, I actually don't know if it is pure slander in bad faith or a genuine reading comprehension issue on his part, but I told him in no uncertain terms I wanted one thing or the other, even as he started acting condescending over PMs.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2022, 11:26:55 am »

It is pure tragedy that now that there's bay12 dominions drama that I get to watch form the sidelines eating popcorn that I can only see half of it :(. Plz fix your account situation ThtblovesDF so I get to see your side of the argument as well :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2022, 11:30:20 am »

Oh, so he doesn't send in-game messages with his side of the drama to everybody? I'm feeling so special right now.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2022, 11:33:17 am »

Well, I'm not in this game, so I dunno if he sends it to everyone or not, since I'm not part of everyone :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2022, 11:34:38 am »

Oh, shit. I had you confused with MCreeper. No more feeling special for me ;(
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30