Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: Dominions 5 Round 06 - The end  (Read 29883 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 06 - Götterdämmerunging with renewed vigour
« Reply #390 on: October 24, 2022, 11:35:24 pm »

I, for one, definitely did not accidentally send a .trn file and barely manage to replace it with the .2h.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2022, 07:55:57 pm »

BTW, let me know if you guys would want to go back to 48h turns. I no longer suffer from choice paralysis when doing mine, thanks to the limited choices I have left. :)
I would have said that's fine, though I'm here today to beg another day's extension :P My wife's been sick which has been pretty disruptive to the my routine.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 27, 2022, 08:12:49 pm »

Very well.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2022, 10:07:38 pm »

There's half an hour left, and Azthor's turn is still outstanding. I'm adding 6h along with a reminder to procrastinate responsibly.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 28, 2022, 10:42:22 pm »

There's half an hour left, and Azthor's turn is still outstanding. I'm adding 6h along with a reminder to procrastinate responsibly.

Thank you for the consideration - I did make it in time, but was checking my commands last minute. Afternoon and evening were very busy, and I only got some information I was waiting on to finish the turn in the afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 11:56:59 pm by Azthor »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 31, 2022, 11:20:45 am »

Huh. Turns out reincarnating units keep their gems and items. How odd.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 31, 2022, 12:29:03 pm »

That's a bit weird, but I suppose since it's entirely mystical it's not totally ridiculous. It still feels odd given that becoming a wight or mummy doesn't let you keep them, though.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 31, 2022, 10:54:05 pm »

#noinvalidpension

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Any accusations of which Fomoria sends its sick to die in radioactive fallout zones is nothing but slander and lies).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 11:02:06 pm by Azthor »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 01, 2022, 12:48:03 am »

Obviously they're lies! Everyone knows that Fomoria sends its pensioners to live lives of pastoral idle on lovely undersea farms, with lots of room to run around and mer-rabbits to chase!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 01, 2022, 11:17:40 am »

Yeah, those are the veterans. Lost their armour in Yomi, got cursed in Mictlan. Probably survived Fomorian decay. Always marching, always fighting.
The promise was the Art of Hover Farting would heal all those wounds with a Gift of Health, but lately he couldn't spare the time.

Anyway, I'm not sure I have the fortitude to keep being a nuisance. If I can't conjure it by the deadline I'll just set myself to AI.
Those veterans are still kicking, but there's no more cash, and soon no more gems. Attrition is getting out of hand too.

When you feel it will no longer alter any outcome, could you provide some commentary on the war? I am honestly very curious.
Not much to say. I found out while fighting Yomi that I don't really have anything to counter SC and thug spam other than my lumbering armies. Of which I had two and they couldn't be everywhere at once, not even with gateway.
Which basically meant that until I could get to elemental royalty, I would be doomed to fold if you attacked me instead of your other neighbours. And while I did get to conj8 soon after the war started, I figured it's a bit too late, and I might cause more damage by casting the lightning global. So I alchemised the shit of my stocks to get some 90+ in overcasting. But it was still taken down the turn after. I choose to blame R'lyeh. I probably should have summoned a whole lot of gandharvas instead.
Anyway, that's why I've been largely ignoring you - I figured I could cause more lasting damage by countering actual armies with mine, rather than chasing glamorous thugs around. Maybe if I had six more months to prepare, I'd have something.

From a wider perspective, I probably shouldn't have allied with Rus early on. This made my territory snaking and hard to traverse quickly. Hard to defend, with too many neighbours. Had we fought it out, one of us would be out of the game, but the other would end up in a more tenable position.
That the only one commander who could cast/forge anything useful has been my pretender hobbled me greatly throughout the game. Too many things to do, too little time.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 01, 2022, 12:38:09 pm »

Yeah, those are the veterans. Lost their armour in Yomi, got cursed in Mictlan. Probably survived Fomorian decay. Always marching, always fighting.
The promise was the Art of Hover Farting would heal all those wounds with a Gift of Health, but lately he couldn't spare the time.

Anyway, I'm not sure I have the fortitude to keep being a nuisance. If I can't conjure it by the deadline I'll just set myself to AI.
Those veterans are still kicking, but there's no more cash, and soon no more gems. Attrition is getting out of hand too.

When you feel it will no longer alter any outcome, could you provide some commentary on the war? I am honestly very curious.
Not much to say. I found out while fighting Yomi that I don't really have anything to counter SC and thug spam other than my lumbering armies. Of which I had two and they couldn't be everywhere at once, not even with gateway.
Which basically meant that until I could get to elemental royalty, I would be doomed to fold if you attacked me instead of your other neighbours. And while I did get to conj8 soon after the war started, I figured it's a bit too late, and I might cause more damage by casting the lightning global. So I alchemised the shit of my stocks to get some 90+ in overcasting. But it was still taken down the turn after. I choose to blame R'lyeh. I probably should have summoned a whole lot of gandharvas instead.
Anyway, that's why I've been largely ignoring you - I figured I could cause more lasting damage by countering actual armies with mine, rather than chasing glamorous thugs around. Maybe if I had six more months to prepare, I'd have something.

From a wider perspective, I probably shouldn't have allied with Rus early on. This made my territory snaking and hard to traverse quickly. Hard to defend, with too many neighbours. Had we fought it out, one of us would be out of the game, but the other would end up in a more tenable position.
That the only one commander who could cast/forge anything useful has been my pretender hobbled me greatly throughout the game. Too many things to do, too little time.

I think you've been doing well, tactically, but that the final outcome can only be slow attrition. The war was unfavorable from the onset, in terms of resources/assets, and your bleeding territory in the opening stages aggravated the matter.

Though I think, out of our side, I am the only one biased to fight primarily (rather than secondarily) by resource exhaustion, and the war ended in this situation because you performed outstandingly in pitched battles against everyone who tried it - ai. no one wants to do a large field battle against you.

Concerning WoG, in particular, there was actually a significant amount of alchemizing involved to respond immediately, rather than preemptive pooling - we just banked on the fact that, without most of your territory and with everything in Kaillasa being pearl-hungry, it was a loss you could never make up for.

To illustrate, you got gem-baited heavily at Debrithia before - particularly relative to your current income - but you are in a situation where you must put yourself in a position where you can be gem-baited every time, or risk a sudden wipe - it is not a misplay, but a loss-loss tactical situation emerging from the broader strategic one.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 12:47:42 pm by Azthor »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 01, 2022, 01:49:07 pm »

To illustrate, you got gem-baited heavily at Debrithia before
Uh, I remember being gem baited once before - the turn prior. I was going to attempt to lift the siege, as there was no real benefit for me to stay inside. But I took the risk on the off chance that you'd storm the castle and I >finally< get to see Vafur Flames in action. I've spent half the game wanting to see those burn some attackers.
But of course you did the sensible thing and sent a single mage in.

The major gem losses in that province were mostly in all the Yakshas and Yakshinis that were sniped remotely, as I couldn't afford to put a dome up.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 01, 2022, 03:24:31 pm »

To illustrate, you got gem-baited heavily at Debrithia before
Uh, I remember being gem baited once before - the turn prior. I was going to attempt to lift the siege, as there was no real benefit for me to stay inside. But I took the risk on the off chance that you'd storm the castle and I >finally< get to see Vafur Flames in action. I've spent half the game wanting to see those burn some attackers.
But of course you did the sensible thing and sent a single mage in.

The major gem losses in that province were mostly in all the Yakshas and Yakshinis that were sniped remotely, as I couldn't afford to put a dome up.

That is the one. From my POV, I did not know if you'd Break Siege or not, so I went with a finnicky composite formation. If you stayed inside you'd get gem-baited by the sorceress; if you surfaced it'd have gone sort of like this turn, with you fighting the Wind of Death caster behind a bunch of chaff, except with some added support spells on mages set to retreat.

Isn't Vafur pretty crappy against armored giants, though? It'd stop HoS longdead hard, but you already had Solar Brillance up.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 01, 2022, 03:26:10 pm »

I don't know. I've literally never seen it in action.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 01, 2022, 03:33:57 pm »

I don't know. I've literally never seen it in action.

10+DRN AP on passing. I think AP doesn't affect the DRN on Protection, so 4 damage on average vs a 16 Protection unit.

It'd instakill 50% of all longdead touching it and heavily maim the rest, though, comparatively.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30