Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Dominions 5 Round 06 - The end  (Read 32569 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 06 - Götterdämmerung
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2022, 09:28:35 pm »

It is currently set to 24h, yeah. (Anyone can see this on the admin options page)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 09:44:03 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2022, 04:45:40 am »

I don't know why it changed - it wasn't my doing (and there's nothing about it in the admin log). It has now been changed back to 30h.

@Azthor: Please, help the initial game move along briskly by submitting a second turn when you find yourself the last outstanding player.
Same for anyone else who does their turn last during the first year or so, when there's little to do (or procrastinate about).

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2022, 11:30:38 am »

I had the luck of no events so far, which is great bc I never play with story events on and if I do it always just seems to be Elementals attacking a throne.

Good fluff of not-rome flexing its gold with mercs.

Will... will i ruin the moutain passes with my cold dominion for myself or can my giants still pass it with snow move?

Being last to do a turn is fine, but if thats the case, just do a double turn. (send in one, wait a minute, do the next turn, too) - that way you shall never be the last one to submit twice.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 11:32:48 am by ThtblovesDF »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2022, 12:12:34 pm »

I don't know why it changed - it wasn't my doing (and there's nothing about it in the admin log). It has now been changed back to 30h.

@Azthor: Please, help the initial game move along briskly by submitting a second turn when you find yourself the last outstanding player.
Same for anyone else who does their turn last during the first year or so, when there's little to do (or procrastinate about).

With due respect, though you were polite about wording it, that feels uncalled for.

The hosting period is there for many a reason, foremost among which being the common ground of expectations for us to organize around, and Pangaea's turn was still due before I submitted mine just now, to boot.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2022, 12:18:58 pm »

As long as we're all mindful of each other's time, it's all good.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2022, 12:26:45 pm »

Will... will i ruin the moutain passes with my cold dominion for myself or can my giants still pass it with snow move?

Unfortunately, you need flying or mountain survival to traverse frozen passes. Snow move alone does not suffice.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2022, 12:27:42 pm »

I think there's an urge to hurry along the early (boring) turns, though I have no complaints about the pace so far.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2022, 04:39:03 am »

I've been last turn twice so far but not consecutively as I submit the next turn as well when that happens. I checked it yesterday morning but I mostly am awake at night and early morning (US East) so that's when my turns will be going in, barring a sleeping schedule change for employment reasons or some such. I can attempt to check more often to see if the turn has advanced if it's delaying the game excessively.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2022, 05:15:23 am »

Don't sweat it, everybody. Do your turns whenever you want.
It's just that I'm always confounded by seeing people not do a double turn early in the game, when there's almost nothing to do. So I feel I have to remind them it's a thing.
But no pressure. Other than the deadline. Do feel >that< pressure.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2022, 08:14:27 am »

I'm glad I'm not playing.
Free advice about the double turns is nice, though. Especially early on, when the turns don't take very long.
When I'm actually playing competitive Dominions, I usually run the first 10 turns many times in Solo Player, so I know exactly what I'll do regardless of the indy forces.
Usually, I have most of the indy forces vs. my forces figured out. To the point I can probably just overcommit or avoid anything that didn't come up in playtesting.
So, when playing at that level, the first 10 turns are basically automatic for me.
...of course, sometimes I don't play at that level.Like last game

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2022, 09:16:09 am »

I always leave with bad habits from running trials in sp. Like being overly conservative with my expansion parties. Because there's no rush with the AI.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2022, 09:53:55 am »

I always leave with bad habits from running trials in sp. Like being overly conservative with my expansion parties. Because there's no rush with the AI.
And who cares when you build your second fort?
And why waste gold on Indy Mages when they're inferior to your national mages?

...at least my not playing means I can give advice.  Like second fort should be built by end of the first year. And indy mages are good way to boost your research power on the cheap.  The key is to increase your capacity to recruit researchers, and recruit from best to worse.  So you don't recruit indy mages EVERY turn, but rather when you want to expand your research staff quicker.

Oh, and ALWAYS TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBORS! Hell, I talk to everyone that will talk to me!  Maybe you got too few fire gems and too many nature? If you talk to your neighbors, maybe you can make a 1-to-1 exchange if someone has the reverse.

I also generally attack anyone that refuses to communicate.  Another reason to communicate.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2022, 11:10:05 am »

I also generally attack anyone that refuses to communicate.  Another reason to communicate.
Oh yes, why not be a scum for the sake of it instead of NOT DOING ONE SIMPLE THING OTHER PERSON ASKS NOT TO DO?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2022, 02:17:27 pm »

I quite like how we all have very different approches, I certainly lack a long term plan/resolution/goal most games which tends to punish me by lacking the big-win-button some others tend to produce.

Communication is a straight benefit, there are enough enemys around and the one that didn't say hi is as good of a target as any.  Even one "secure border" is worth it, imo.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 02:41:35 am by ThtblovesDF »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2022, 02:48:06 pm »

Dominions is a pretty good example of a "political" game., i.e. whether or not you win is strongly determined by the actions of other players. So of course you should engage in politicking!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30