Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeasts as fort protectors & guardians  (Read 949 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeasts as fort protectors & guardians
« on: June 21, 2022, 05:58:23 pm »

A thread about potential megabeast interactions, in a scale of cusping the ear of intelligent megabeasts and bending them to your will in fortress mode without having to tame them. The fundamentals are calling the beast from long distances with 'Summoning' in a single instance at a time, and 'Guardianship' to bind them into a contract with your fortress.

Summoning

The structuring of cults dedicated to worshipping powerful beasts works like appeasement in a remote sense as a mechanic, for as long as the cult prays and dances regularly the appeasement of the beast will rise and avert the likelyhood of attacks by the named entity and members of its related family.
  • When a religious society is founded by acceptance of their petitions & building sufficiently lavish complexes, the ability to summon the megabeast to your location becomes availible as a trump-card through a ornate ritual of dance and simulated/real instruments that requires a great many dwarves.
  • 'Invited Guests' are not exactly neutral, but they wont be liable to attack if appeasement is already high.
If this at all sounds like King Kong, that's deliberate, the exact details and materials for the summoning ritual may even be brought up by a preference of the sphere and personal ethics/deliberations of the founder of the cult or respective megabeast. A Giant for instance might want a large tribute of food, dragons being creatures of wealth wanting gemstones etc. Anything going up and beyond sentient being & artifact sacrifices.

Guardianship

Guardianship is the offical status for a megabeast that resides on site pernamently as a defender, this is met with the highest level of devotion and development of your monster-temple religion, and to finally seal and transact the deal through the use of a priest creating another summoning-meeting, domesticating them on the spot, or for the more intelligent monster allumini, giving them the high wants & demands role of 'Guardian' similar to a baron or count & a military position to be controllable and equippable in the fortress, especially the artifact they're bound to.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:44:39 am by FantasticDorf »

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Megabeasts as fort protectors & guardians
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 07:27:34 am »

+1

Getting to ally with Megabeasts to act as some sort of Godzilla/King Kong defender sounds MEGA-awesome. It'd give all the unique Megabeasts/Forgotten Beasts more unique gameplay avenues, than being something you kill and nothing else.

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:35:17 pm »

Nice idea :) +1

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 05:20:30 pm »

You know, given it some thought, hopefully patron and summoned HFS can make a "Spectacular" entrance if the slab is required as a prequisite to the summoning.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:19:50 pm »

Allying HFS would be too OP in my opinion, at least in the base game. The ability to summon/ally HFS should be mod related, in terms along if you're playing a non-Dwarf Dark Civilization. I think its in-game and out-game friendly that Dwarves would be able to ally with HFS. That's more of a Goblin thing.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 03:45:33 am »

Allying HFS would be too OP in my opinion, at least in the base game. The ability to summon/ally HFS should be mod related, in terms along if you're playing a non-Dwarf Dark Civilization. I think its in-game and out-game friendly that Dwarves would be able to ally with HFS. That's more of a Goblin thing.

The steps of getting the followers in place to do it probably mean you virtually already have allied the HFS. Not to the attestment of the effort needed to getting the slab as a artifact from under the noses of its guardians, and propogating a foriegn and alien religious concept in your fortress out of shady-people.

All the same, more dark fortress content is a nice idea in a vein of "why not?"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 05:27:59 am »

Based on how they are described in adventure mode, I've understood that titans in particular are intended to be nature aligned - they attack dwarf and human settlements for sullying the pristine natural landscape but are not supposed to be intrinsically hostile to living things.  Living in harmony with them should be possible, and elves should be allied with them by default.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 05:52:01 am »

In a default DF game, yeah, almost all interactions with Titans will be hostile then. If Tarn expanded "Dwarf" Fortress to officially include all the other species, it'd be interesting to see how'd he develop Titan interactions when a player decides to an Elf game. Though it may not be any different from the proposed megabeast interactions in this thread, it could still a different avenue to look at nonetheless.