Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shotgun physics and velocity  (Read 866 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Shotgun physics and velocity
« on: June 26, 2022, 08:02:21 am »

I'm building a minecart shotgun before I go and provoke some nearby civs and I have a couple of questions.

How does minecart velocity translate into weapon strike velocity/momentum? A bolt moves across the screen at 1 tile per tick, same as a 10k velocity minecart and hits with a max weapon velocity of 20. But featherwood bolts travel at the same speed as platinum ones so it can't purely be a question of how fast it moves across the screen. My prior for now is that momentum scales linearly with the velocity of the minecart when it fired. 

There's also the question of how far projectiles move along the ground once fired. Covering a longer area means you have to worry less about aim and timing.

I tried firing shotgunning cloth and thread at some recruits for testing purposes and it did a lot more damage than I was expecting, bruising bones and breaking noses. Is there a safer form of ammunition or do I need to uparmour my guinea pigs? Would bone armour be good enough?

†Metaphorical. No actual guinea pigs were harmed during tese tests although a kitten did wander into the line of fire and get its legs pretty badly damaged.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.