Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumb Genius Idea  (Read 1288 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumb Genius Idea
« on: June 22, 2022, 03:10:44 am »

So this could be a lack of sleep from staying up too late playing, but I had a thought.

Activity zones can be layered on top of one another, yeah? It's what wr do to speed up pitting or filling up a well's cistern. Has anyone done the same for locations? Make one big room that's your tavern, library and all the temples and guild halls all in one? Would that even work?

Thoughts?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb Genius Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 06:30:32 am »

I usually do a tavern/guild hall combo, but you could put libraries and temples there too. So far it's worked for me, though I think there might be some issues with some types of locations layered on each other?

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 09:55:48 am »

I think overlapping zones can negatively affect the rooms overall "value".

I like using the bedroom with privet dining room combination. Saves a lot of space.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 08:28:28 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that in the case of overlapping rooms split tile values are split between the different rooms rather than being added in full to each, although I don't know for sure if that's true.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 01:01:19 am »

It works great for location rooms, just stuff it full of statues and decorative furniture, line one wall with book shelves and another one with pedestals to display your artifacts. Add some armor/weapon stands and make it the guards training barracks, theyll get thoughts from watching performances and other dwarves will get observation experience watching them train. I do it often, in fact
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:03:09 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 03:53:01 pm »

In 0.47.04 (before the latest patch) I noticed that overlapping guild halls always attract dwarves of all the crafts, but only ever teach the north-west(?) one.  For example, if I arrange Smithing, Ranger, Farmer, and Craftsdwarf in the same room:

╥╥╥╥╥╥
╤╤SR╤╤
╤╤FC╤╤
╥╥╥╥╥╥

Then all the smiths, rangers, farmers, and craftsdwarves will come to hang out, but they'll only ever learn smithing.

If that still works, then overlapping has powerful but counterintuitive benefits.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 01:44:08 am »

When you create a room based on furniture (bedroom on bed, office on throne, etc), there are value penalties for overlapping room areas (plenty of posts/wiki about this). So, apparently not the same as activity zone locations.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?