Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slaves to Armok 3:[Title Speculative]  (Read 2186 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slaves to Armok 3:[Title Speculative]
« on: June 04, 2022, 03:21:20 pm »

Does the Steam Release meet the relevant criteria to be a sequel? Or will the game eventually culminate a splitoff point from the original that would nessecitate a new inner workings and therefore 'engine' behind the fantasy simulation alltogether?

Personally on reflection of some of some of the dissent against steam release for keyboard and disparity of userbase, do believe it would be better to canonize it as its own game, in regards to its audience than force it to be Slaves to Armok 2: Dwarf Fortress's siamese twin. They might always be somewhat similar but with the game's ambitions moving foward they may have to depart from one another.

I wouldn't put it in the suggestions subforum because its mostly meta in a way of asking you forum users directly about your public opinions than anything for the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slaves to Armok 3:[Title Speculative]
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 05:53:12 am »

I don't think a graphical overlay and change in interface will make it feel like a different game. The changes planned for Mythgen and the map rewrite have far more potential to change the fundamental feel and aim of the game enough to maybe call it something new. I'd go with: "DragSlay Returns (plus fortress stuff)"

Adventurer being missing on Steam release make it seem like more like a regression to older versions of Dwarf Fortress, where Adventuring had no real impact on anything than any evolution to a new game. And when it catches up and gets released we'll be back where we are now.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 06:37:43 am »

I'd go with: "DragSlay Returns (plus fortress stuff)"

"Slaves to Armok 3: The Ancestor Lineage" , but i guess that's kind of generic, your's is a better in-joke  :D

I don't think a graphical overlay and change in interface will make it feel like a different game. The changes planned for Mythgen and the map rewrite have far more potential to change the fundamental feel and aim of the game enough to maybe call it something new.

Yeah that's kind of what i mean, we're not there just yet but at the moment as a extension of the system being cleaned up, internally as well as externally, its like the first inkling or glimmer of it.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 04:48:22 am »

Tarn claims to have taken the keyboard suggestions to heart and it hasn't gone long enough to dismiss that. I much doubt the work will split off into multiple games (other than Fortress and Adventurer) before Dwarf Fortress as we know it has joined up with the Dwarf Fortress as planned and described in Threetoe's stories. We'll get the next Armok installment after DF 1.0 maybe :P.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 07:28:41 am »

perhaps by the time slaves to armok 3 is out, it can be integrated with GPT-6 for artifact descriptors