Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF in Borderless Fullscreen (Windows)  (Read 1346 times)

blitz4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF in Borderless Fullscreen (Windows)
« on: July 04, 2022, 12:29:42 am »

You can check that "Delay Borderless Window" if you're unable to quickly maximize the window.

I'm interested in a borderless fullscreen method for Linux.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF in Borderless Fullscreen (Windows)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 12:47:35 am »

That'll depend on the window manager. I use i3 with default_border none and hide_edge_borders both in the config - that makes most apps open borderless fullscreen maximized (assuming the work space was empty to begin with).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:50:10 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

blitz4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 02:59:15 am »

This entire post applies to anyone using Windows. Even TWBT and mod packs.

I pray this feature is added to the steam version. It's kinda expected in steam games of today.

The entire goal of using borderless fullscreen is so you can use a second monitor, ie: the wiki or a video, and have the game screen up simultaneously. This is perfect for following guides as you can move you mouse cursor over the 2nd monitor, scroll down the guide, then move the cursor back to the game, all without having the game losing focus. If that sounds far fetched, then try it.

If you're having issues with Borderless Gaming (BG). I found it also requires editing init.txt. Here's a functional init.txt and BG window

Code: [Select]
To prevent any odd resizing issues with BG
[INTRO:NO]

[WINDOWED:YES]

[WINDOWEDX:1920]
[WINDOWEDY:1080]
[FONT:Kyzsmooth.png]

[GRAPHICS:NO]

If you're having issues with this program, Borderless Gaming (BG). You'll see it flicker a couple times and try to remove the border but fail over and over. To fix.
[RESIZABLE:NO]

[BLACK_SPACE:YES]

[TRUETYPE:NO]

Will put the window over your taskbar when it's borderless fullscreen.
[TOPMOST:YES]

I'm using a 1080p monitor. Above. TOPMOST:YES will put the game over the windows taskbar. You can also play with the Always on top setting in BG, but the setting in init.txt seems more "correct". The Window Size, you can give a X,Y for the game and W,H of the window size. One bug I found, or maybe feature, that X,Y is the distance from your primary monitor, and the "Select Favorite Screen" option doesn't work for me.

Seem to be able to use ANY FONT now. I credit it to using the RESIZABLE:NO option.

Seen a streamer today have the same issue, they play with a resized UI after using the scroll awheel. When I tested 16x, half of one tile would always go 'outside' of the screen up top and to the right. The IDLE: or Depth Meter show half-way off of the screen. Plus the resizing the UI this way, has to be done every time starting the game or if you accidentally hit the scroll wheel. Best is to find a font the size you need, hit F10 to reset the zoom, and never zoom the UI again, that at least guarantees you'll see the same-sized interface each time booting up the game.

Regarding my settings, I'm using Kyzsmooth above, a 16x24 font. That's 720p resolution, but it looks beautiful in my game. It took time to get used to it, but the cool serif's give it something unique to look at. Look at the G in God of Blood below. (I hit F10 right before capturing):

blitz4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 03:24:32 am »

That'll depend on the window manager. I use i3 with default_border none and hide_edge_borders both in the config - that makes most apps open borderless fullscreen maximized (assuming the work space was empty to begin with).
Makes sense. Done at the WM level.

lol. making sure the work space was empty to begin with. *nods head* I don't use i3 atm, but checked and there'sold hack's, but nothing official it seems.

Think I found a good list of solutions for many popular WM's. (answer for i3 even shows you need a new work space)

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Borderless_fullscreen_windowed#Linux

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 04:21:51 am »

lol. making sure the work space was empty to begin with. *nods head* I don't use i3 atm, but checked and there's old hack's, but nothing official it seems.
Well, if the workspace wasn't empty, you can just move DF to an empty one, or what ever was there to another workspace - either way, when DF is the only window on a workspace, it'll automatically fill the screen.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Borderless_fullscreen_windowed#Linux
Oh, yeah, I forgot i3 can send a fullscreen event (I actually prefer to hav the status bar always visible). Also, those instructions are wrong for i3, you don't hav to move it and it doesn't hav to be the only window. Just Win+f (or what ever you bind fullscreen toggle to) with DF focused is all that's needed, then DF will go fullscreen, but you can still switch to other monitors or workspaces.

You can also configure i3 to always open DF (or any window) on a specific workspace and/or monitor, and even send the fullscreen toggle automatically.

Or you can hav the status bar not display on the monitor that DF is on, then DF would be the only thing on that monitor and be completely fullscreen but still in window mode without borders.

i3 is wonderfully configurable.

(And if I remember correctly, that old hack might hav been patched out - I havn't tried it in years.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.