Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!  (Read 13691 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: New riverside succession game - dwarves wanted!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2022, 06:51:17 am »

A wild wagon ride - I hear they marooned their animal handler/gelder halfway there. Considering the lot, he must have been really insufferable.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2022, 09:20:00 am »

A real shame, i hope he comes in a migrant wave.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2022, 11:39:16 am »

You are next to a river and don't have anybody who can fish?   :o
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2022, 11:48:51 am »

Of course not! The water is for swimming.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2022, 02:27:39 pm »

Fishing? Such menial tasks are not for the Philosopher, who has more important things to do, such as pondering the ethics of fishing and the aesthetics of the River.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2022, 02:59:47 pm »

Think of all the songs the river will inspire.

Drunken scholar

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2022, 03:35:14 pm »

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2022, 08:26:51 pm »

Such slander! I was merely fondling that sheep to prepare it for gelding. You're the ones with the disturbed minds!

Curse you and this whole fort!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2022, 04:16:29 am »

This looks interesting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 12:31:45 pm »

And finally a dwarf whose job description can be best described as, "I WILL ORGANIZE YOUR SADNESS."

I see that you underestimate the power of the Manager noble  :D

Here is a great video showing what you can do with one: https://youtu.be/0bKbKNrC3d8
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2022, 11:56:18 pm »

Smithbridges, year 180
Part 1 - A tale of plants and poetry

Our party of seven dwarves has finally arrived at our destination. We have been sent by queen Kumil to establish a fortress that will represent a new frontier for dwarven civilisation. We are to build a great bridge here that will both be a testament to dwarven ingenuity, and allow us to assault our undead and goblin foes who taunt us from their dark strongholds. To this end we have decided to name this place Eshtansazir, or Smithbridges in the human tongue.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In accordance with the ancient dwarven tradition, I have been appointed overseer for the first year of our new fortress.
My years spent working underground in the Deep Operations Reserve Force (D.O.R.F) back in the mountainhomes has given me proficient skill with a pick, which I should be able to use to fortify this position and carve out some basic lodgings. I also learnt something of the various traps we use to defend our mountainhomes from threats in the caverns, as well as how to defend myself with a pick. Hopefully I will be able to use these skills to help construct this marvel of dwarven engineering we have set out to build.

The skills of the rest of our team are... interesting to say the least. I'm sure they will be useful at some point in our fortress' future.

As we prepare to unload our wagon, I look out at the vast river Sinboils before us. Oddly calm, for a river bearing such an ominous name. The river promises good fishing in the future. The earth holds its treasures too, as the finest stoneseers of the mountainhomes were sure that large deposits of metal can be found here. Even on the surface I can see clay and sand that should lead to a ceramic and glassmaking industry.

But that is the future. For now the only way forward is down!

Upon reaching stone we have already found coal and iron. We should be able to have an adequate smithing industry within the next year or two.

As I am the only miner in our expedition, I have decided to carve out some temporary dwellings in one of the soil layers. I asked some of the others if they were willing to help with the excavation, but they responded that such work was "beneath their station". How could they say such a thing when mining is one of the noblest of all dwarven professions! Regardless, I shall continue with the work alone.

One of us, a herbalist known as Ulfarr, has unexpectedly decided to perform some work. He has begun gathering edible plants on the surface, while muttering about "getting rid of them before they fight back". While I applaud his enthusiasm, I do have questions about his peculiar methods of harvesting. I'm not sure if a sword is really the best implement for plant gathering...

After he had finished gathering I was able to persuade him to begin chopping trees so that we can construct some furniture. I explained that trees were really just giant plants. Once the look of abject terror had passed from his face he grabbed an axe and began attacking the nearby trees. I worry for the mental state of some of these dwarves, but so far none of them have exhibited any behaviour like that loony we had to abandon a few months ago.

Ulfarr was able to fell quite a few trees before falling asleep in the field.

I've also been approached by another member of our expedition, AvolitionBrit, who wants to open a tavern so that we can "relax" more. Most of the dwarves around here do nothing but relax, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have them do so underground. I have Ulfarr get to work making some furniture out of the wood, and he seems more than happy to continue hacking away at the (now dead) trees.

It is already summer, and work is still progressing slowly. I doubt we will have trade goods ready for the caravan in Autumn, although it will still provide an opportunity to see what is available for import. Thankfully a group of migrants is expected to arrive this season, which should speed up work on the main fortress. So far I have been working on carving out a large area for workshops and stockpiles.

In other news, the improvised tavern has been set up and named the Tooth of Creation. Perhaps as a reference to Avolition's singing?
Speaking of which, it's actually pretty good.

Bralbaard has requested that I help her create something called a "swimming pool" using water from the river. Apparently it's important.

Bralbaard starts the pump and is almost swept into the river by the sudden torrent of water, but manages to swim back to dry land. The pool depth seems to be perfect, according to Bralbaard. Now the only problem is that noone wants to actually swim in it.

Hurrah! Now time to see who's arrived to help us.

There is a miner named Thob. I will be grateful for the help.
There is Tulon, an engraver of legendary status back in the mountainhomes.
Bembul is a fish cleaner who I'm going to put to work at the riverbank.
Dodok is a woodcutter by trade, but I've also appointed him as a mason. We'll need stone blocks if we want to build a bridge of any size.
Reg is another woodcutter. As we don't need a second one, she will be setting up a plump helmet farm.
There's a young child named Kivish. Something seems off about her though...

Lastly there's a dwarf who introduced himself as Lolor the woodcutter. He'll be performing brewing, and he also asked to be assigned to "animal caretaking", whatever that means.
Still, I can't shake the feeling that I've seen him somewhere before.

That's 7 dwarves in total, doubling our population.

We need a manager and bookkeeper to ensure the smooth operation of our fortress' industries. Our expedition leader, Obsidian Short Sword, is skilled in organisation and will be accepting the position of manager. We have decided to appoint Brewer Bob as our bookkeeper, as their superior skills of deduction and logic will no doubt be put to best use in that position.

And with that we are half of the way through our first year. The main level of the fortress is currently being smoothed.

Meanwhile, we have designated an area for farming.

That will be all for now. I'll resume writing this report once the liaison arrives.

That was the first two seasons of our new fortress! I'm sure that things will be more eventful in the second half of the year, but for now food and drink is still plentiful.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get dwarves into the swimming pool? They won't walk in, even if they're assigned to a burrow. I was thinking of setting up a drawbridge over the pool and simply dropping them in.

Delphonso has been dorfed as a woodcutter with some skill in "animal caretaking". The other dwarves are still somehow oblivious as to his true identity.

Finally, please let me know if you want to be added to the overseer list or dorfed as any of the new migrants!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2022, 01:10:01 am »

A fake beard on top of my real beard. Works every time.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 07:13:53 am »

I will take a turn

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 12:06:08 pm »

I won't volunteer for a turn yet, as I have a bad track record of actually completing my turns, but maybe later?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get dwarves into the swimming pool? They won't walk in, even if they're assigned to a burrow. I was thinking of setting up a drawbridge over the pool and simply dropping them in.

I think the drawbridge idea would be perfect. Send the unassuming dorfs to "relax" and "enjoy" the view from the bridge, pull the LEVER and watch 'em flounder in the water. (...just hope they don't all drown.)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 12:16:33 pm »

I won't be able to play a turn for the next month, but am tempted to join later. I have plans for that swimming pool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12