Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!  (Read 13626 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2022, 01:15:39 pm »

hmm. anytime mass designation causes slowdown I find that the main pathing routes are to blame. whatever the most used pathway is might need some streamlining (which I would be happy to do once my turn hits :D )

closing branching pathways and cleaning up objects should help immensely.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2022, 01:29:05 pm »

There's massive and long hallways (and rooms) with loads and loads of branching paths, so yeah, it's a FPS deathtrap currently. :)

Just reached summer. Has taken me almost the whole day for that.

I'll probably mostly just concentrate on cleaning clutter as much as I can without resorting to autodump. Just designated everything with an x to be hauled to the smasher. Probably gonna have some shocked dwarves for the travesty of destroying their masterworks.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2022, 08:46:26 am »

Smithbridges, year 191:
Dumping, Dumping, Dumping

“Well, I don't even... What is going on? After the fire, the searing pain when my skin peeled off, turning to ashes, and my flesh burned away, everything went dark. Nothingness. I suppose I was headed off to the Dark Halls of Vesh Ghostphantom. I was... Dead? But then a tug. Something pulled me, everything became a blur. And now... Now I'm back at Smithbridges. Looking around me, I'm in the library. Yet I feel smaller, shorter. No. This can not be. I am within the mind of a child. A six year old boy. I can feel he has a connection to Vesh. Ah, this is Melbil Ivorypages - the son of Erib Dentedtower the stoneworker - a worshipper of Vesh. I can see through Melbil's eyes, yet I can not control him. Now I understand. I think. Vesh has sent me to watch and observe Smithbridges, guide the citizens from beyond the grave for one year. I must get to work - I have little time and there is much to do.”

Melbil had an odd feeling. As if there was something weird going on. Maybe it was the meal he just ate? It was not such a great meal. The child shrugged and continued playing, oblivious to the fact that the deceased 'Brewer Bob' was within his body, watching closely over the going ons of Smithbridges.

It was still the first of Granite when once again Smithbridges was pestered by the hordes of the Necromancers.

The alarm rang.

Dwarves began rushing to safety as the militia grouped up to face the menace.

The Wolves of Alnos wasted no time and headed to destroy windows made from cut gems before continuing towards the bridge.

Wait, what? How?

By the gods above and below! What madness is this!?

Who has left an unguarded passage to the surface, allowing an easy access into our tombs and fortress!? There will soon be more souls entering the Halls of Vesh if this isn't dealt with immediately!

Oh, no-no-no-NO! Most of them are heading straight to the stairs!

The military heads for the catacombs as swiftly as they can with Ďteb the Militia Commander in the lead.

The battle begins in the Fated Temple as a Couplesinks' Beast bursts through the catacomb doors.

It is swiftly put down, but there are more to come.

The rest of the military is ordered to come to aid. This is where the siege will be broken.

The squads rush into the narrow corridors of the catacombs to fight off the invaders before they manage to defile the sanctity of those who are entombed.

Queen Kumil is among the ranks of the warriors, hoping to bolster their morale this way.

The catacombs are soon cleared and the dwarves began to make their way to the surface to take care of the rest of the enemies. And indeed, they are of no match to the dwarves.

The siege is lifted.

Fortunately this was a rather small one, and there were next to no casualties on the dwarves' side.

Trash. Trash everywhere.

Dwarves! I command you to throw all of your tattered possessions into the Atom Smasher. This place needs a serious cleanup.

Quite fascinating. Ustuth seems very fond of his hood made out of troll fur - no wonder it is showing some wear.

Maybe it is for the best that this piece of clothing isn't disposed of.

Little Melbil was struck by a fey mood. Unbeknownst to him he was guided by 'Brewer Bob' from beyond.

“I must have rough gems! I must have tanned hides! I must have logs! I must have metal bars! I must have rock blocks!”, Melbil yelled aloud below the library - where 'Brewer Bob's' old quarters and personal crafts shop had been when he was alive.

(OOC: What are the chances that the kid to get possessed is the one I dorfed myself as AND that they actually went to claim the workshop located at dead Bob's home? It's as if the game *knew* how to play into my story...)

A dwarf death hunter tried to steal Kędnathlokum the sheep wool right glove. I, however, caught glimpse of the thief, and the military was immediately dispatched to take care of the villain.

Unfortunately several of the less experienced militia members got wounded, but it is a small price to pay for the safety of an artifact.

Ah. My artifact. Or Melbil's artifact. Whichever way one wants to put it.

No! NO!

An enormous theropod with external ribs and three long, hanging tails came suddenly from the depths. Releasing poisonous gas from the pustules hidden under its patchy gray feathers, the slavering beast known as Elothamomi Garetho Yeça˙a began its rampage.

At first it headed to the tanner's and butcher's to cause mayhem before continuing to the looms and heading for the tavern.

The military was still far away. The dwarves had nowhere to run or hide.

The first brave - or foolhardy - militia members arrived on the scene of carnage.

They were of no match to the foul beast.

Desperately civilians tried to slow down Garetho by charging it and attacking it with their bare fists and teeth. Visiting bards battered it with their instruments - even a gosling joined the fray. Yet to no avail.

The death toll kept rising. The militia was still on its way.

How many more must fall?

Were it not for the valiant efforts of the swordsdwarf Udib Minetrots and the speardwarf Melbil Boltrazors the number of dead would be much higher.

They arrived on just in time to keep the beast at the end of the hall leading to the central staircase.

And finally Melbil struck the beast down.

Had the beast reached the stairs, things would have been much worse. Not that they were good now: at least ten dwarves fell to the beast's savage onslaught.

This year is turning into a nightmare and it is not even summer yet.

Oops.

I guess a few tattered masterworks ended up in the atom smasher.

Oh well, they clearly weren't so masterful since they became threadbare in only a couple of years.

Autumn arrived.

The caravan from the Mountainhome should come soon. All we have done the last half of spring and whole summer is dumping trash and building coffins.

Dumping, dumping, dumping.

Coffin, coffin, coffin.

Ah, sounds like the caravan is here!

Wait, wha-

That is no dwarven caravan!

This time we are prepared for the enemy to come through the catacombs. Traps are ready and so are our warriors.

Yet the cowardly goblins and trolls run away after some of them got killed by our traps and many more wounded.

The military easily took care of the stragglers.

And so continues dumping. Dumping, dumping, dumping.

Finally, upon winter's arrival, all the dumping was done, the garbage crushed. Only a couple coffins remained to be put into place in the catacombs.

Seeing that many dwarves were feeling miserable - several were constantly having fits and throwing tantrums - it was time for having a good rest for the winter. Only the most necessary of tasks were to be done.

Dwarves poured into the taverns and temples to meet each other and to pray to the gods.

Yet the time off didn't go entirely without incident.

Another visitor was seen trying to take unlawfully one of our prized artifacts, Lînemurol, the almond wood scepter. The thief was confronted at the Earthen Harvester where a brief scuffle ensued with would-be thief ending dead. Patrons of the tavern screamed and rushed away to avoid being getting caught in the fighting.

Soon the dwarves were back drinking at the tavern, as if nothing had happened just mere moments ago.

I, myself, was playing with a bronze toy axe in my room - or more precisely, in the room of Melbil.

It was in a sense quite enjoyable to once more remember what it felt like to be a child.

All the time off could do no good to some dwarves, for their mental state was beyond recovery.

While sparring, Ďteb, the militia commander, finally snapped. He had been constantly tantruming throughout the year and no matter how many times he was convicted of his disorderly conducy, it was of no use.

He was swiftly decapitated by Oddom, the manager.

But in the scuffle, one of the recruits was badly wounded and eventually succumbed to them.

...And thus ends year 191 in Smithbridges.

=====

That's my turn then.

Most of the time I just spent dumping stuff and that should be taken care of now. I also walled off some of the unused massive passages. The FPS issues were definitely something pathing related, since when all dwarves were just socializing and such, I got the FPS up to 35-38. When things are being done it hovers around 25-27 on my potato, so at least some improvement.

I did several 'cleanowned x' runs and a 'cleanconst' (sometimes it helps a bit, but didn't really show any change this time).

Nothing much else to say, I think.

...Ah, and the save:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16064

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2022, 03:58:07 am »

my god, what a violent turn.

Little Melbil was struck by a fey mood. Unbeknownst to him he was guided by 'Brewer Bob' from beyond.

“I must have rough gems! I must have tanned hides! I must have logs! I must have metal bars! I must have rock blocks!”, Melbil yelled aloud below the library - where 'Brewer Bob's' old quarters and personal crafts shop had been when he was alive.

What are the chances that the kid to get possessed is the one I dorfed myself as AND that they actually went to claim the workshop located at dead Bob's home? It's as if the game *knew* how to play into my story...

these little moments are what I play for. this game drips story hooks

I will download and begin shortly.

edit: after first review, I now recall the amazing symmetry of this place. a lot has changed -  my god who dug like a thousand bedroom apartments holy shi

I am impressed by the overall dedicated to smoothing and forming rooms to fit the terrain. the various locations set within the cavern's massive formations are awesome indeed.

I like the giant, semi-aimless tunnel that winds downward to the third layer and the magma sea.

Smithbridges is begging for megaprojects, but I also see a number of previous projects left slightly unfinished. perhaps the conundrum most synonymous with community fortresses is whether to branch out on something new, or tidy up that which came before..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 04:11:33 am by Salmeuk »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2022, 05:55:32 am »

a lot has changed -  my god who dug like a thousand bedroom apartments holy shi

I had pretty much the same feeling. :D

Oh, and the aimless tunnel: the plan was/is to make entrances to the different cavern layers from it. It's been a side-project on my turns.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2022, 03:25:50 am »

started today. simply put, lots of hauling and whatnot. I think I will try to furnish some of these bedrooms. there are hundreds haha..

I have also destroyed many needless or excess items of lower quality, and worked on clearing out some of the backlog in hauling tasks. which mostly involve excess logs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I must ask, is our current siege weapon setup sufficient? I feel like we might get only one or two volleys.. maybe I am wrong. It is perhaps the best we could do with the rather cramped z-level situation.

The surface wall is amazing. It is gigantic.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2022, 06:02:51 am »

Didn't get to test the siege weapons since all the sieges used the temporary side-entry that led straight into the catacombs. But yeah, most likely there's only time for one volley, though I'd say it's probably enough combined with the trap halls and stationing the militia at the end of it.

I have also destroyed many needless or excess items

Excellent. The whole fort was still bursting with useless crap even after all the dumping/smashing I did on my turn.

Good luck with your turn!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2022, 06:46:17 am »

The wall took ages but im glad you approve. Plus it allows us to control entry into our fort. Looking forward to building more. The gem windows were my bad. Trying to be fancy and was gonna build some fancy area for the queen. Il just build the next Z level up next time and put them up there. Knowing my luck the next necromancer creatures will fly.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 06:49:35 am by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2022, 07:11:18 am »

Forgot to mention that there were some parts of the wall the dorfs couldn't reach to build, so I made some bridge scaffolding and now the pieces should be in place. So if there's some weird log bridges at the walls, it's because of that (I think I tore them down, tho).

Edit:

@Bombyx Mori, you can add me to the overseer list. (Though, if the FPS is too low, I'll have to pass.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2022, 05:32:29 pm »

Smithbridges from the eye of a passing crow:

The dirtiest, ugliest, oldest bedrooms were destroyed, replaced with ammunition storage for the ballistas, and also more storage for food and food related items, like barrels and whatnot.

A grand ore and metal storage room was dug.

A beautification project was undertaken, attempting to clear the overhanging stalactites and also finish the protective wall guarding the tree farm.

I got lost in the backrooms. . .

Then the game crashed. FUCK

I didn't have the heart to return immediately, so I will tomorrow. I think I lost like, 20m worth of designations. lame.  regardless, the fortress fps has improved from 40 to 60 during my 4 months of play. again, this fortress is awesome and frankly pretty efficient considering how sprawling it is. by the end of my year I hope to have a metal storage and masonry up and running, and to have a large number of bedrooms equipped with cabinet and coffer.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2022, 07:40:45 pm »

(another small update here)

Summer brought two enemies:

The fight took place north of the keep, and lasted 19 pages before the creature was summarily turned into a masterwork statue by a certain Vabok.

In the caverns,

however this beast disappeared into the shadows and their whereabouts remain unknown, to this day.

Finally, new cabinets were installed across all functioning bedrooms. More furniture related updates pending.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2022, 01:38:27 am »

A three story room was dug, with pillars. Installed were eight masterwork statues of each variety of stone and metal available to us. For now this room has no purpose. The water is very slow to fill, and may not finish before the year is up.

The cavern tree farm was finally sealed on all levels. Large multicolored block walls now protect us from dark dwellers.

Then, Oddom went beserk in the food stockpile.

Oddom, our manager, lacked... something. A desire unfullfilled, perhaps, and no one to talk to about it.

This was very much a BAD THING. Oddom was one of the better equipped and more experienced soldiers in the fortress. Look at his gear:

This is in addition to a masterwork helm and other armor pieces.

Fortunately, doors were installed quite recently on all parts of the stockpiles. Here, a habit ingrained in all DF players pays its due rewards.

Three unlucky souls were now locked in with the crazed Oddom - Asmel, Kivish and Iton. Also, Ushrir the cat, Ezum the cat, and a stray kitten were lurking amongst the barrels. All were killed.

The squads were assembled outside the locked stockpile. Inside, Oddom raged, alone and bloodied. The doors were flung open and many were wounded.

Full fight log here. Oddom was killed by one of our swordmasters in a extremely lucky neck slash by a silver sword. No other attack would have wounded Oddom, with his armor.  And considering how his attacks, when landing, were almost always delimbing or decapitating blows, we were EXTREMELY lucky this went how it did.

========

A hairy leech arrived and mucked about, apparently uninterested in attacking for now.

========

We have a lot of very specific and questionably useful items. . .

========

end of year images of main fortress changes:

========

The moment of freeze:

Spring arrived. Time to pass the buck to the next player. The fortress is ready for anything, really.. have fun.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16079
==========

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2022, 06:33:16 am »

Damn. Oddom could've caused some serious mayhem.

Nice update on what's going on in the fort.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2022, 04:15:42 am »

Always a risk of things going poorly when one of the soldiers goes insane, at least it ended well here.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2022, 01:24:43 am »

I just thought I would bump this fort up again and update the OP.

The fort is looking quite FPS-unfriendly at the moment, with many empty rooms and long corridors. I like the circular reservoir though.

The current overseer listing has Avolition up next, but we might have to adjust the list if they're unavailable or someone else wants a turn.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12