Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!  (Read 13686 times)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
Re: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2022, 12:52:25 pm »

I volunteer for a turn after Avolition Brit, If nobody else does.
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 07:43:08 pm »

I am disappointed that you opted to give the first migrants any of the peasant work.  Clearly our brave Poets & Librarians need apprentices.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 08:37:31 pm »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get dwarves into the swimming pool? They won't walk in, even if they're assigned to a burrow. I was thinking of setting up a drawbridge over the pool and simply dropping them in.

that is the simplest method, dropping them against their will. you can also force them to cross water tiles that are 3/4 or 4/4 deep, and this will allow them to path but occasionally be swept up in the waters flow and thus train swimming. i think.

I like the symmetry so far. how many z-levels in total do we have to play with?

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 09:24:41 pm »

Because this is a custom world there are much fewer z-levels in total. There seem to be about 48 to the bottom of the world. This means that it's easier to get magma to the surface though.
I'm not sure how many levels to the first cavern layer, but I'm going to try and breach them by the end of my turn.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2022, 03:17:24 am »

I probably won't be taking any turns but I could post some art (of questionable quality) from time to time if you enjoy it
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2022, 04:32:30 am »

Art in succession forts is always good.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 01:14:35 am »

Smithbridges, year 180
Part 2 - The buzzard massacre

I have dug an exploratory shaft from the surface down to what appears to be the first layer of the caverns that span this world. I can see several ores below, bearing copper, silver, and lead. Still, we should first create a safe entrance to the caverns before attempting to reach the cavern floor.

The caravan from the mountainhomes has arrived. I've put in a request for several kinds of leather, drinks, picks, and rare ores. I also put in an order for some brimstone as a request by our architect Salmeuk, although I don't know what she wants to use it for.

The mountainhomes have several requests for next year, with headwear having the highest increase in price. The fashion must have changed in the mountainhomes, but unfortunately we do not currently have any clothiers, and as such are unable to benefit from it.

Obsidian Short Sword buys some leather, beer, food, and a book titled "Rainfall and Rivers and Other Topics". If we're going to be living next to a river, it seems fitting that we should try to learn about them.

For absolutely no reason the marksdwarves guarding the caravan have decided to use a group of buzzards flying overhead as target practice, resulting in a great deal of confusion on the surface.

Some more brave souls have arrived at our doors. Four more dwarves in total, three have been assigned to get the forges ready.

In other news, it seems the first cavern layer is mostly filled with water. This will at least make it easy to secure against land-bound creatures.

It appears that the climate is cold enough here for the Sinboils to freeze over during midwinter.

This may have ramifications for security in the future. However, it also means we may be able to work on the riverbed where it would not normally be possible. It is also worth noting that the merchants from the mountainhomes still have not left since the incident on the surface.

On the 19th of Opal the river thaws. We learnt this when we were standing on the river trying to retrieve some dead fish. We eventually made it back to shore, and Bralbaard even seemed to enjoy the ordeal.

As winter comes to an end, so does my term as overseer. The merchants still have not left the trade depot.

Our workshop level is ready to begin smithing, and we have a decent amount of fuel. There is also plenty of room to expand this area.

The area where the most time has been spent during these months is our new mine entrance level. This area connects to a downward stairway to the south, which should be used by future overseers to reach the depths.

This area is also meant to contain an underground reservoir, but the year ended before I could fill it. To complete the project:

• Connect the four levers I have designated to be built. One is for the gate in this area. The other three link to bridges meant to control the flow of water, one on the surface and two down here. All levers should ideally be labeled.
  • Channel away this wall separating the river from the channel I have dug on the surface.

• Close the drainage gate to the caverns.

Our food situation is stable, with a plump helmet farm and a good stockpile of drinks. The current order is to brew drinks until we have at least 150 Urists on hand, but if future overseers want to increase this amount they can adjust the managerial order accordingly.

The status of the fortress:

Finally, I have designated a section of the river to build our bridge.

As the construction of the bridge will no doubt require the work of several overseers, I have also devised some guidelines for future overseers to follow:

I look forward to seeing what great things future overseers are able to accomplish!

Thus ends the first year of our fortress. Most of the second half of this turn was spent carving out that underground area, which has rooms for barracks later on.

I'm not sure how to get the merchants to leave, but they might (hopefully) do so by themselves before they go insane.

It's unfortunate that I was unable to complete my final project, but it shouldn't be too hard for someone else to complete it.

My dwarf is currently militia commander, but doesn't carry around his iron pick and copper buckler unless you take him off mining duty. Ordering him might work too.

I probably won't be taking any turns but I could post some art (of questionable quality) from time to time if you enjoy it

That would be great Ulfarr.

AvolitionBrit, it's your turn. So good luck!

Here is the save file.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 05:29:30 am »

Okay, lets dance
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2022, 07:57:48 am »

All that discussion over the best way to train swimming and the Sinboils made the decision for you. You love to see it! How long do we have to work on the frozen river? A month or so?

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2022, 08:24:16 am »

All that discussion over the best way to train swimming and the Sinboils made the decision for you. You love to see it! How long do we have to work on the frozen river? A month or so?

I don't know exactly when the river froze, but I think it was around the start of Opal. The river thaws around the 18th-19th of Opal, so we have about half a month.
Because the water level is actually quite low downstream when the river thaws the dwarves are able to go and collect the various carp skeletons and other items collected by the river, as we saw during my turn. You could forbid these items, or we could just have some free annual swimming training.

It's quite safe, I promise.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2022, 08:50:01 am »

Ooh, freezing river and bridge construction! That means we could build "support" pillars under the bridge during the winter to make things look more fancy/dwarfy (also, imagine the likelihood of "unfortunate" accidents as thawing draws near -- tragic how many lives can be lost in work-related accidents).

And, it's great to have books! Now we just need a library where *important* Philosophers can ponder such topics as Rainfall (and their effect on dwarven mental health) and other things. I just might have to volunteer for a turn after all if such a place isn't built soon...  ;)

(Btw, Sinboils is an excellent name for a river, has a nice ring to it.)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2022, 09:51:19 am »

Wait, Do I need to uninstall Dfhack for this? 
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2022, 03:50:50 pm »

brewer bob: absolutely 100% love the idea of rushing to finish bridge supports in the two weeks the river is frozen. Also excellent that it's right at the end of the turn, so whatever happens is the next guys problem to sort out. Swimming may prove to be the most invaluable skill.

Now...how about building a book smasher in the library? :P

Wait, Do I need to uninstall Dfhack for this?

DF Hack doesn't have much impact on the save itself. It's generally safe to join succession games with or without DF Hack, basically up to your preference.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2022, 04:17:34 pm »

Why you... You, you wouldn't dare do that!  >:(

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2022, 02:08:35 am »

Why you... You, you wouldn't dare do that!  >:(
But it's a unique feature no other library has one of those!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12